The Big Alpocalypse Topic

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

There's something to the Disney idea. I think "Party In The USA" is a big enough hit it could stand a Weird Al parody. Since her dad let Al do one of his most brutal parodies, I'm sure he could get away with pretty much anything.
I think if Al did a well-written parody (not a lead single), something like Confessions or Complicated, he could appeal to a whole different crowd...
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Iamabrawler
Die-hard Fan

Post by Iamabrawler »

We also gotta think about which songs are just enough popular to be part of the medley but not popular enough to be a full parody.

Black Eyed Peas have a style that is nearly impossible to parody due to the band members all singing at least once. That would require Al to re-record each time with each`s lyrics. I`m sure we`ll have "I gotta feeling" or "Boom Boom Pow" as part of the medley. Also, I`m surprised he hasn`t parodied Celine Dion yet, not even mentioned her in the polka medleys. Maybe one of her songs could fit in. Of course I suppose all songs, even the ones used in the medley, have to be asked permission before being used.

To go back to "This is It", it would be some kind of homage to MJ. I do not really likes MJ, and I still don`t like him, but Al`s parodies are the only reasons why I respected that guy. He accepts that people parody his songs. Not like that other slim black singer Prince, who forever denied and will forever deny even after he`s dead. For sure, This is It, is a must-parody since Al wouldn`t be in music without him.
"So I went in my garaage, got in my care
And I drived, talking with my blue teeth
My boyfreind told me don't cree
Come to my houss, don't worraye,
we'll talk about this togeedurr."
WAYFan
Addicted

Post by WAYFan »

Yeah, I like MJ, and I don't think a whole nother parody is the right way to go, but definitely SOMETHING. "This is It" in a polka or even just a quick acknowledgment before "Fat" would be enough.
Janet! Dr. Scott! Janet! Brad! Rocky! (BULLWINKLE!)

Hellooooooooooooooo, Nurse!
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

Why does Al have to give a tribute to Michael? I would rather have a parody/style parody of great lyrical quality than have a cheap Michael Jackson tribute.

I'd rather not have a tribute to him at all, to be honest. He's had more than enough.
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

Al finally left the "Michael Jackson parody artist" label in the 90's... I highly doubt he'd want to do another homage to MJ, tribute or not.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

NOTHING RELATED TO MICHAEL JACKSON EVER AGAIN PLZ
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

If Al were going to do an homage to MJ, he already missed the best opportunity. A reworking of "Eat It" done in the style of MJ's 2008 reworking of "Beat It" on the "Essentials" album would have been nice. But a parody of this new single would be a little creepy actually. A polka medley of his songs wouldn't be out of the question, but I doubt it'll happen.
Iamabrawler
Die-hard Fan

Post by Iamabrawler »

Wasn`t it what happened for Hot Rocks Polka (which were all songs by the Rolling Stones)? If he did it once he sure can do it twice - but as Jon sad, we should maybe stop talking about MJ.
"So I went in my garaage, got in my care
And I drived, talking with my blue teeth
My boyfreind told me don't cree
Come to my houss, don't worraye,
we'll talk about this togeedurr."
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Polka medley would be ok, but Beatles polka medley is obviously way cooler. I'd actually prefer a regular pop/rock medley to a Michael Jackson polka...
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Iamabrawler @ October 25, 2009 01:32 pm wrote: We also gotta think about which songs are just enough popular to be part of the medley but not popular enough to be a full parody.

Black Eyed Peas have a style that is nearly impossible to parody due to the band members all singing at least once. That would require Al to re-record each time with each`s lyrics. I`m sure we`ll have "I gotta feeling" or "Boom Boom Pow" as part of the medley. Also, I`m surprised he hasn`t parodied Celine Dion yet, not even mentioned her in the polka medleys. Maybe one of her songs could fit in. Of course I suppose all songs, even the ones used in the medley, have to be asked permission before being used.

To go back to "This is It", it would be some kind of homage to MJ. I do not really likes MJ, and I still don`t like him, but Al`s parodies are the only reasons why I respected that guy. He accepts that people parody his songs. Not like that other slim black singer Prince, who forever denied and will forever deny even after he`s dead. For sure, This is It, is a must-parody since Al wouldn`t be in music without him.
oh boy...umm...two things...real quick...

1) Al HAS parodied Celine Dion with "Free Delivery" set to the tune of her Titanic theme "My Heart Will Go On." This was a "concert-only" parody from the RWS tour. Al hasn't exactly explained to us why he didn't include it on the CD. At this point, I think its' safe to assume that if he bothered to ask for permission, it was indeed denied.

2) Yes, MJ obviously gave Al permission to do "Eat It" and "Fat" but he later DENIED Al permission to record "Snack All Night." He said that "Black Or White" was a song about racial equality that MJ took a little too seriously and he "didn't want the message to get lost." At that point, Al distanced himself as much as possible from the "guy who just does MJ parodies" image as Mason pointed out. This may be the type of thing that would make me personally lose some repsect for an artist...just sayin'...

Also, I probably souldn't bring this up again, but I thought Al should've done an all-polka version fo Thriller (not the entire album, just the titular song...y'know, like "Bohemian Polka"?)
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...