Ranking Internet Leaks

Moderator: Moderators

mikelgb
Die-hard Fan

Post by mikelgb »

OK ill do it but I think they are all really good.

Songs:
1. Whatever You Like
2. Skipper Dan
3. Craigslist
4. Ringtone
5. CNR

Videos:
1. Ringtone
2. Craigslist
3. CNR
4. Skipper Dan
<-- I'll ace any triva quiz you bring on
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

1. Skipper Dan
2. Craigslist
3. Whatever You Like
4. CNR
5. Ringtone

Overall, pretty average songs. No, "Awesome! Gotta have this!" songs for me.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Bruce the Duck @ August 22, 2009 11:37 am wrote: This album so far has been very hit and miss. With almost half of the next album already out, it's fair to say that this album will most likely fall well short of the last three (PH, RWS, & SOL).

Ranking:

1. Craigslist - Probably the single best musical and vocal imitation Al has ever done. The lyrics captured the absurdity of Craigslist postings beautifully. Really a well done song altogether.
2. Skipper Dan - Very catchy tune combined with some of the most original lyrics and subject matter. Great job!
3. Whatever You Like - underrated. The music is crap, and not up to standard of rap songs Al usually parodies, but the lyrics and concept were well executed.
4. CNR - Good music, but lyrically it was all over the place. A bunch of random, nonsensical lines that had nothing to do with the supposed subject of the song.
5. Ringtone - one joke, not that funny, and just okay music. Weak song all around.

Ranking of the videos (based on how much they add to the enjoyment of the song:

1. CNR - By far the best of the videos. Really makes a world of difference. Jib Jab deserves major props for this one!
2. Craigslist- Breathtaking visuals capture the look of The Doors just as well as Al and the band captured the sound. And it was great to have a live action video for this one, something I didn't expect to see with this batch of releases!
3. Ringtone - Cool animation, and some neat visuals. Unfortunately the video doesn't save this song as well as CNR's did.
4. Skipper Dan - a rather boring looking video for a superb song.
Bruce, we think a lot alike.
L285
Die-hard Fan

Post by L285 »

1. CNR
2. Craigslist
3. Whatever You Like
4. Skipper Dan
5. Ringtone
“Since you left home on your journey, things have changed around here. For example, I don’t have as much laundry.”
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I was just going to post my updated rankings in the "Ringtone" thread, but alright...here goes...

Remember, I'm delivering two sets of rankings...one based on lyrical content and one based on musical composition...

Lyrics
1. CNR
2. Craigslist
3. Whatever You Like
4. Skipper Dan
5. Ringtone

Music
1. Craigslist
2. Ringtone
3. Skipper Dan
4. CNR
5. Whatever You Like
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

About Internet Leaks, it is currently #75 on iTunes top albums and #2 on top comedy albums. "Ringtone" is at #4 and #6 on the comedy songs chart and #93 on top music videos and #4 on top comedy videos.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Review of Internet Leaks submitted to all the usual places UK AMAZON UK iTUNES, MyPlay etc

Internet Leaks, Weird Al Yankovic's long promised digital only release EP has  finally arrived, after a thrilling summer for his fans;  each track appearing in  turn, creating a frenzy of anticipation and excitement as well as wild speculation  that lasted for many weeks.

The lead-off track "Whatever You Like" a song parody of the T.I song of the  same name was conceived and recorded back in September 2008 whilst  T.I was  still heading the charts with it. This was a first for Al, and very experimental.  One could say that the rushed production and, crucially, the absence of a video  may have been something of a drawback;  for despite initial interest, it failed to  thrive as it might have had a video existed. Having said that WYL is a clever  and very funny song poking  fun at the boastfulness and conspicuous  consumption of the original by presenting a very low budget version of the  inducements a poor man might make to his girlfriend.

Jumping to June 16th of this year and "Craigslist" appeared. This is one of the  very finest rock records Al has ever made. It is a self-penned original, in the  style of The Doors and even has Doors keys-man Ray Manzarek adding that  authentic Doors sound. The subject parodies the online small-ads site Craigslist,  picking several crazy examples of the type of advertisements to be found there.  A fantastic Liam Lynch (Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny) live video gave  this a much bigger push than the previous song, and the sight of Al in tight  leather pants makes this all WIN really

Into July, and out came "Skipper Dan" another original song, in the style of  Weezer. The subject? The thwarted ambition of a failed actor who works on  Disneyland's Jungle Cruise ride. (An attractive animated video from Divya  Srinivasan for this) Skipper Dan is a big hit with many long time fans, appearing  to hark back to several older hits like "Melanie" from his "Even Worse"  album. The catchy tune is hard to ignore

Next up was the White Stripes style parody CNR celebrating US TV  personality Charles Nelson Reilly by casting him as a superhuman cult figure in  the manner of the "Chuck Norris Facts" Internet meme. Personally I feel this is  among the very best things Al has ever done. Not only is the music just  fantastic,and  every line a real belly laugh , but the strong animated video by Jib  Jab is visually stunning.

Finally "Ringtone", a Queen style parody which is just spot-on. This was  launched with a video by Current.TV's SuperNews team featuring cartoons of  famous people uniting in their hatred of the Ringtone of the title. This one grew  on me rapidly after some initial hesitation, as I am no Queen fan, but as usual,  Al owns every genre he takes on, and there was never really much chance of me  hating it for long. Now its right up there with the others, but for me, "CNR" and  "Craigslist" remain the stand-out tracks of this really accomplished collection. For  me they are the best songs I have heard from any rock musician this year so far
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Very thorough review. Nice work, Ludo. I'm sure this will be helpful to people deciding whether to buy the EP.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Melquizio
Die-hard Fan

Post by Melquizio »

1. CNR
2. Skipper Dan
3. Craigslist
4. Ringtone
5. Whatever You Like

It was kinda hard to decide between some of these. The music in Skipper Dan was better than the music in CNR, but the lyrics in CNR were funnier.
"How do we know you're not just as filthy, sent by him to nick the ring by being filthy, when you've lulled us with your filthy Eastern ways?"
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

I guess this is the closest we have to a general "Internet Leaks" thread.

Trying to find clear information on "Billboard's" new web site is like pulling teeth sometimes, but what I have found out so far is that this week (for the September 12 issue), "Internet Leaks" has debuted on their "Comedy Albums" chart at #8 with a bullet.

I'm probably just going to have to wait until the physical issue arrives in the mail to see if it hit the general "Billboard 200" or the digital albums charts at all.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;