Ringtone

Moderator: Moderators

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Ringtone

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Today I told a court reporter about my Extremely Embarrassing Phone Moment, when my "Ringtone" ringtone went off in the middle of a felony jury trial. She said, "You have a Weird Al ringtone? My kids love him! I'm gonna have to buy that one." So nice to think that there's no moment so personally humiliating that it can't be used to sell some Al merch. :P
ferdinand
Occasional

Post by ferdinand »

Why is "Ringtone" the only song on Alpocalypse that Ruben plays keyboard in? I understand why he didn't for ITIL and Craigslist, but why did Jim do all the keyboard stuff for PitCIA, AT and WYL?
No one in the world ever gets what they want and the truth is we don't know anything.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

'Cause he is also an amazing keyboardist. Maybe he wrote the parts for the tracks he did, Ruben might have had other musical engagements when they recorded the album.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

For the parodies, Al usually has Jim do the keyboard parts for economic reasons. Since they are generally just synths, it's easier to reduce the talent on each studio track to as few people as possible. For something like Ringtone where Al needed creative input about how to create the sounds he was looking for, he brought Rubén in to help out.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Ruben has never really been a full time band member when it comes to the studio recordings. The keyboard parts are more often than not performed by someone other than Ruben. He's full time for the tours, though, which obviously is crucial as it's what takes up the most time for the band and what makes them the most money. Though, they probably just keep him on tour so they have someone to humiliate. And it's harder to do that on an album.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I know you're joking, but they haven't really been humiliating Rubén lately on tour, at least not publicly. From what I gather, that phase of Rubén's career pretty much ended when he insisted on giving up the cone bra.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I haven't seen him live in this tour or last. Last time was the SOL tour.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

HAHA the classic cone bra. Talked about that with him when I met him in Verona...obviously he really DID hate it. I dont remember them doing anything to him on the Lynwood Tour either, but I only caught it once.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I still think LAS needs to come back
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

minnick27 wrote:I still think LAS needs to come back
I'm surprised it hasn't, in some capacity.