Skipper Dan

Moderator: Moderators

joseyklein
Obsessed

Re: Skipper Dan

Post by joseyklein »

Ahh, come on.... really???????
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
oddaustin
Regular

Post by oddaustin »

I strongly disagree as well, probably one of the best songs on this here new record.
NH Weird Al Fan
Addicted

Post by NH Weird Al Fan »

JCM wrote:The song wasn't really that funny to me, TBH. It also goes on too long. Al could have done way better.
I love Skipper Dan. :inlove:

You're right; it's not a funny song. The lyrics are kind of sad, almost depressing. The juxtaposition of the melancholy lyrics with the catchy, upbeat music is part of what makes it so great.
8/11/07 Beverly
7/15/08 & 6/26/10 Gilford
8/22/10 Ventura
10/15/11 Boston
5/10/12 Lowell
10/19/12 Beverly
6/7/13 Lebanon
6/8/13 Keene
10/5/13 Hampton
6/4/15 Concord
6/6/15 Foxwoods
8/4/15 NewBedford
9/1/16 Lowell
9/2/16 Gilford
9/14/16 Providence
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

This is one of the best songs Al has ever written, not because it's funny (it's really not), but because it paints an actual emotional picture. I know someone who said he didn't like this song because it hits too close to home for him. When a song can provoke a response like that, it's good songwriting.

Not Al's usual fare, but it's really great and I'd love to see more songs like this out of him. This is a lot more like a Jonathan Coulton song. He writes a lot of "funny but sad" songs like this, and I'd be willing to guess that most people on this forum who like his music probably really liked this song.
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

I love the Tarantino reference
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I don't get why people say it's not a funny song. I'd say it's just as funny as any other Weird Al song. Okay, so there are only a few actual "jokes" but the humor is derived from the tough circumstances of the protagonist.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

It's not funny because of a constant stream of jokes like most of Al's songs. That's what I meant. The song idea itself is the joke, but you're still supposed to be feel bad for the guy.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

weirdojace wrote:This is one of the best songs Al has ever written, not because it's funny (it's really not), but because it paints an actual emotional picture. I know someone who said he didn't like this song because it hits too close to home for him. When a song can provoke a response like that, it's good songwriting.

Not Al's usual fare, but it's really great and I'd love to see more songs like this out of him. This is a lot more like a Jonathan Coulton song. He writes a lot of "funny but sad" songs like this, and I'd be willing to guess that most people on this forum who like his music probably really liked this song.
Well said. Agreed on the Coulton part as well.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

This thread has gone too long without this:

Weezer.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

TMBJon wrote:I don't get why people say it's not a funny song. I'd say it's just as funny as any other Weird Al song. Okay, so there are only a few actual "jokes" but the humor is derived from the tough circumstances of the protagonist.
But that's the thing. I don't see the humor in the protagonist's tough circumstances. The lack of jokes could be forgiven if only the premise was enough to redeem it, and it isn't.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?