Skipper Dan

Moderator: Moderators

Way_Moby
Obsessed

Re: Skipper Dan

Post by Way_Moby »

JCM wrote:
TMBJon wrote:I don't get why people say it's not a funny song. I'd say it's just as funny as any other Weird Al song. Okay, so there are only a few actual "jokes" but the humor is derived from the tough circumstances of the protagonist.
But that's the thing. I don't see the humor in the protagonist's tough circumstances. The lack of jokes could be forgiven if only the premise was enough to redeem it, and it isn't.
Yeah having a college degree from Juilliard but working at a amusement park the rest of your life is so fluffy.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

Alright, I get it. The humor was just a bit too subtle for me at first, that's all. You really have to think to get it.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Yeah, I love this song. One of my favorites from Al's entire catalogue.

Also wanted to come in here and say that one of my fellow interns at Conan this summer is a former skipper on the Jungle Cruise ride. She's heard the song, and really enjoys it.
And Peggy
Kristine
Off The Deep End

Post by Kristine »

JCM wrote:Alright, I get it. The humor was just a bit too subtle for me at first, that's all. You really have to think to get it.
If you've been to Disneyland and gone on the attraction, or, better yet, know a Jungle Cast Member... it's really quite funny. I know many, and everyone loves the song.
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

Post by giantlobsterrobot »

Skipper Dan is my favorite song off Alpocalypse so far. Once I hear the rest, it MIGHT change (I actually hope it does because it will mean that there are even more awesome songs to look forward to) but I absolutely love this song.
sethmartin
Regular

Post by sethmartin »

I live in LA so I know a lot of "actors". I think this song is absolutely hysterical. All actors spend their days going to workshops and "studying their craft". Actors in LA treat acting like its law school or med school and they all think that they are going places and will be famous some day yet most of them end up like Skipper Dan. This song is funny because its true. But I guess if you aren't familiar with that world, you wouldn't get it. Fair enough
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

So, did we ever figure out what this was a style parody of? Was it in the booklet?
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Weezer.
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

I knew it was a Weezer style parody ever since I heard the first few notes come out of the speakers, dead on style of their Red Album
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

We all thought it was, but we wanted proof.