The Big Alpocalypse Topic

Moderator: Moderators

minnick27
Off The Deep End

The Big Alpocalypse Topic

Post by minnick27 »

I don't think it was harsh for no reason. The man didn't like the album. And he did say parody-wise Al had very little to work with.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: The Big Alpocalypse Topic

Post by TMBJon »

Even if you buy into his premise that this is Weird Al's worst album (I would say it's his best), why should "every artist releasing pop music today" be ashamed of what Weird Al is doing?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

So he doesn't like the original songs being parodied, and he ignores all of the style parodies other than "yeah those are fun, but WAH WAH MILEY CYRUS TAYLOR SWIFT, MUSIC IN MY DAY WAS SO MUCH BETTER"

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing a negative review if the review had actual reasons to be negative. But he didn't comment on the actual content of the songs at all, beyond Perform This Way (and he actually liked that one). I mean come on, there's even style parodies of Queen and The Doors on this album for you music snobs.

But Miley Cyrus sucks, so 1.5 stars.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I really find that review to be one tiny step above the people on Amazon who are giving the album two starts because they don't like the CD case. :rolleyes: I'm with Jace on this one. It's unbelievable that this writer would give the album a bad review because he doesn't like today's music. I really don't see how Al could have done the album better in the reviewer's eyes, except maybe doing a bunch of parodies of songs that were written 30 years ago. That reviewer will not like any album Al puts out that parodies current songs, period.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Well remember, Al songs are supposed to make things better, so maybe he feels that even though the originals were crap, Al's version didnt really improve on it
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I don't think Al's parodies are there just to make things better. Al often parodies fantastic songs that can't be improved on (American Pie, Piano Man, etc)
And Peggy
weirdojace
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdojace »

Well that's what got me. He didn't even talk about the actual content of the album. I could see somebody reviewing this album and giving it a poor rating because maybe they thought TMZ or Party in the CIA weren't funny or well written, but his only reason for giving it a bad rating was "I hate Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift."
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

TMBJon wrote:Even if you buy into his premise that this is Weird Al's worst album (I would say it's his best), why should "every artist releasing pop music today" be ashamed of what Weird Al is doing?
This part of his review, I think, was rather positive. He was saying that Al can only work with what is popular in pop music. "Every artist releasing pop music today" should be ashamed because they're giving Al material, with which he usual makes gold. The reviewer is arguing that since pop music is crap, the people making pop music should feel horrible that they're making Al make bad music.

However, I disagree on this.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdojace »

Sounds like he just has "today's music sucks IN MY DAY music was SO much better" syndrome.

The older generation always says the younger generation's music sucks. It always was that way, and it always will be that way.
PlayAWarGame
Occasional

Post by PlayAWarGame »

When I was your age... When I was your age...
It doesn't matter if I do things for a reason, or on a W-H-I-M... Just stand back and enjoy the show, cuz baby, I perform this way!