Weird Al Survivor IX - Gameplay Thread - WINNER REVEALED!

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

The Doctor
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Weird Al Survivor IX - Gameplay Thread

Post by The Doctor »

Bummer.

Any Anth, it's ok, you can't hide the fact that you're a time traveler for much longer. We know that you're from the future where the Earth has traveled further from the sun and thus the days are longer.

So let's just jump to the part where you tell us who won the next challenge, since you already know.
Silence will fall.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Fair enough...congratulations to the Not cool, dude :stern:

Last edited by Past Anth on February 29 2012 at 8:54 PM

Speaking of time travel, since Wizzerkat has already decided about which tribe to go with, no harm in posting this next challenge a little early, eh?
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

IC6 – Extra Gory Version

Once again, it's time to show off your writing skills and re-interpret an Al classic. And this time…it's gonna be gruesome.

Each tribe will select one song that appears on The Essential "Weird Al" Yankovic 3.0 collection and take a cue from "The Night Santa Went Crazy" by creating an alternate, violent, horrific, brutal, bloody, [insert-other-synonyms-for-"gory"-here] version. If you've always thought that a particular Al song could've been spiced up by adding an axe murderer or something to the proceedings, now's the time to let that fantasy out. (Incidentally, because there already is an "extra gory version," "The Night Santa Went Crazy" is off-limits for this challenge.)

You can rewrite the lyrics and retain the song structure, or you can convert the lyrics into a unique narrative, or even screenplay format--whatever you think will serve the story best. The subject matter of the original track must stay the same--in other words, if you were to gore-ify "My Bologna" (which you couldn't, because it doesn't appear on The Essential "Weird Al" Yankovic 3.0), it still needs to be about that particular lunch meat. You can't turn it into an ode to "My AK-47" (although you certainly could have the narrator use an AK-47 to blow away anyone who gets between him and his bologna). You may incorporate elements of multiple Al songs but the core of the piece must focus on one specific song.

Of course, WOWAY is still a family forum, so even though this challenge encourages you to go far out there, don't go too overboard--a huge component of this challenge is how humorous the final piece is. If the whole thing is an over-the-top slay-fest, you might not get too many points in that department. And I can't speak for the judges on what language they'll tolerate, so keep that in mind while writing.

You may work on this challenge in your tribe forum, and post your final entry in the designated thread. You may not reveal to anyone outside your tribe which song you have selected. The deadline to submit your final version is Sunday, March 4 at 10 PM EST.

Three outside judges, who will not know which tribe submitted which entry, will determine the winner based on the following criteria:
-Creativity: Did the tribe pick a song that was easy to make macabre, or did everyone have to use a lot of imagination to transform it? And how successful was that transformation?
-Humor: Does the piece effectively bridge the gap between horrifying readers and managing to make them laugh?
-Gore Factor: Is it sufficiently ghastly? Or was there more blood shed in The Care Bears Movie?

Each of these criteria will be graded by the judges on a scale of one to ten, with the averages added up. Additionally, there will be five all-or-nothing points awarded simply for the selected song fitting the criteria of being on The Essential "Weird Al" Yankovic 3.0.

If you have any questions, please ask. Good luck!
melcor58
Occasional

Post by melcor58 »

Just want to say I wish I could have stuck around longer, but I had fun with what little time I spent here. I want to say good luck to the rest of the The Jungle Cruise Guides in the future of the game.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

The two entries:
The Minor Celebrities wrote:One very fateful summer, I innocently asked my darling wife and dear children where they would like to go for this year’s two week vacation. Almost in unison, they shouted with glee “THE BIGGEST BALL OF TWINE IN MINNESOTA!” As soon as I said “Okay, pack your bags!” they all cheered wildly. “This is going to be a great, fun-filled trip,” my wife said as she kissed me on the cheek. We would have never guessed how wrong that statement was.

The next morning, we loaded up our ’53 Desoto with essential travel items such as clothes, snacks, and fun items to keep the kids entertained through the trip. We pulled out of the drive way, said goodbye to the neighbors, and hit the road driving straight on through three whole days and nights. Although, we would occasionally stop at a fast food joint or some greasy spoon diner or to get gas and Twinkies at a local rest stop.

On Sunday evening, we came across a drifter holding a cardboard sign with “TWINE BALL OR BUST” written on it in big red letters. “You think we should pick him up?” I asked my wife, “He’s obviously headed our way.” “Sure,” she said back. We stopped and let him into our car. Although he smelled as if he hadn’t bathed in at least two weeks, he seemed extremely grateful. “Thanks for stopping, my name’s Bernie” he said to us. I introduced my family to the friendly stranger, but Wednesday morning was when everything changed. He started going on for what seemed like forever about this strange manifesto of his. “Uh huh,” I responded politely, as he described in vague detail his plan to bring some sort of new judgment day upon the world and found the Twine Ball to be the best place to start. We were obviously terrified.

At around 5:27pm Wednesday night, we stopped at the “Last Chance” gas station. As I stopped and pumped up the car, I handed my kids each two dollars and said, “Here kids, go buy yourselves each another diet chocolate soda." My wife went to the pay phone and called 911. “Hello, police,” she said, “we picked up a drifter named Bernie on our way to the biggest twine ball in Minnesota and he's really freaking the family out. Please send help." After the cop yelled at her for picking any hitchhiker up in the first place, she asked tearfully “Could you please just send someone down to the twine ball before he hurts anybody?” The cop agreed and she sighed a sigh of relief. We were safe. We got back in the car and finally arrived at the twine ball at around 7:37pm Wednesday evening. We got out of the car cautiously, but Bernie soon disappeared from our field of vision. He was missing.

We admired the great twine ball in a mix of awe, quiet desperation and panic. I was moved to tears by its sheer beauty and how greatly it represented this amazing country of ours. We heard police sirens approach and we all felt even more waves of relief flowing over us. The police were here, and they were going to find Bernie and lock him up for good. Then we heard a strange, eerie noise that filled us with fear. We turned around and to our horror saw the twine ball had gotten loose, and was headed right towards us. “Run!” I yelled to the family, and we all darted off. We ran and ran, and then came to a large boulder. As we looked over the side of it, we noticed all the blood, guts, vital organs, and of loose string strewn about the area where the twine ball used to be, not to mention crushed cop cars. We all tried to keep from getting hysterical; as I attempted to reassure my kids by saying “Don’t worry kids, everything will be fine.” Almost as if on cue, someone snuck up behind us and chloroformed my entire family.

The next thing I remembered was waking up in some dilapidated shack tied to a chair next to my family. There was a TV in front of us with some local anchor reporting news, with a horrified look in his eye. “The famed biggest ball of twine in Minnesota was cut lose and destroyed tonight. 27 people are presumed dead fron this horrific incident. Police are still on the lookout for the suspect. Here is a sketch of what we think he may look like.” I watched in horror as the screen cut to a drawing of the suspect. That very person on the TV walked in from the next room. Unsurprisingly, it was Bernie, holding some sort of cassette tape with eerie reverence. He switched the TV to VCR mode as we screamed out in horror and protest for him to let us go. Our pleas had fallen on deaf ears as we were unprepared for to witness the horrendous nightmares which we were about to be subjected to. The tape that Bernie had put in the VCR was Joe Dirt. The movie played, and as we we watched in agony, he kept pointing at the screen and shouting “DO YOU SEE?!?! DO YOU SEE THE HORRORS?!? DO YOU SEE THE INHUMANITY?”

After the movie ended, we begged him to put us out of our misery. We all kept flashing back to all of the horrific images we witnessed that day, from the twine ball being unraveled, to David Spade's atrocious acting. Bernie turned around and walked into the other room. I turned to my family and said "I love you" to them one last time. The last image I saw was Bernie returning with a chainsaw and hacking my son Robert's head off. He then began approaching me.
The Jungle Cruise Guides wrote:As I walk through the valley where I harvest my grain
I take a look at the fools that gonna be in some pain
They all got bigger and bushier beards than thine
It's time to get to work on exposing some jawlines

At 4:30 in the morning I sharpen thine blade
Hope thou bearded suckas ready to be flayed
I've been shavin Menninites so long it's a safe bet
Even Ezekial knows Gillete's the best a man can get

No lathering shaving cream all over your chin
I laugh to myself as I dish out discipline
Now stop squirming in your chair your only making it worse
I'm taking your ZZ Top and making it a Fred Durst

Brother Mark is filled with dread
Living in an Amish Paradise
So a little blood's been shed
Be thankful I left the head,
'Cause fool rather be red than dead

A local boy was sheared in the face last week
I just smiled at him as I shaved down to the cheek
I really don't care, in fact I wish him zen
'Cause I'll be laughing my head off when he's burning in Penn

But I ain't never cut a Quaker, even though he deserved it
An Amish with a soul patch? You know that's unheard of
I never use clean gloves but I've cut lots of mutts
And my homies agree I rock "covered in guts," fool

If you come to visit you'll be cut with shears
We haven't cleaned the razor blade in 300 years
But we really don't care so please don't gripe or fuss
We will just wipe off that oozing pus

There's no lather, rinse, repeat with me
Just cold hard Amish law
Like fresh to order sushi
I'm gonna cut you fools up raw

I guess these fools never learn
Livin in an Amish Paradise
Cries are none of my concern
They be covered in razor burns
Better barber chairs than urns

Sharpnin' up the hatchet, plannin' up the bloodbath
Hacked a guy on Monday, soon I'll hack a nutter
Think you need a shavin'? Think you're ready fool?
Well, I cut so deep I be exposin' your bloody stool

I'm the ragin' guy the other Amletts want to cut like
Hackin' chins day and night scoring skins for my crafty wife
So don't you cry and don't be squirmin'
Or else my brother you might end up with two inner ears a germin'

We've been spending most our lives living in an Amish paradise
We're all crazy cutters now living in no Amish paradise
There's no cops to stop these fights, shaving in an Amish paradise
Yeah you suckas know we bite, bludgeoning in Amish paradise
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

As stated in the instructions, the judges graded these entries on three categories that were equally scaled: Creativity, Humor, and Gore Factor. In addition, both tribes qualified for the five points for using a song from The Essentials.

When it came to gore, there was a fairly sizable gap between the tribes, with the Minor Celebrities dominating this category, receiving the only perfect 10 score from one of the judges:
The Jungle Cruise Guides: 4 / 5 / 7 = average of 5.333
The Minor Celebrities: 5 / 10 / 8 = average of 7.667

But the judges seemed to find the Jungle Cruise Guides' entry funnier. Here's how the Humor points went down:
The Jungle Cruise Guides: 6 / 8 / 8 = average of 7.333
The Minor Celebrities: 6 / 4 / 7 = average of 5.667

So when we add up those two categories, the Minor Celebrities hold a slight lead: 18.333 to 17.667. But Creativity was a much closer battle, with some significant disagreements among the judges...

The first judge strongly preferred the Minor Celebrities' entry, giving them 7 points but just 4 to the Jungle Cruise Guides. The second judge favored the Jungle Cruise Guides, however, awarding them 8 points and the Minor Celebrities 5. The third judge agreed with the second, but gave slightly higher scores: 9 points for the Jungle Cruise Guides, 6 for the Minor Celebrities.

Averaged together, the Jungle Cruise Guides earned 7 Creativity points. The Minor Celebrities earned 6.

Which means that, by a difference of 1/3 of a point (24.667 to 24.333).........

THE JUNGLE CRUISE GUIDES WIN IMMUNITY!!!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Tribal Council 6

This is where you will answer for your actions and your contributions to the tribe. At Tribal Council, fire represents life on the island. When your fire's gone, so are you.

This is how we'll vote:

Each of you will send me a Private Message with the name of the person you want to vote out of the tribe. Please use their actual SCREENNAME, so that it will be easier to tally the votes. You can include a reason if you'd like, but you don't have to. Once you've cast your vote, you may not change it. If any Tribe Members fail to vote by 10 p.m. EST on Tuesday, March 6, their vote will count as an automatic vote against them. Once all the votes have been cast, I will tally and then read the votes.

Image Big Spoon
Image TMBJon
Image MissyMoo38
Image Killingsworth
Image AAAmerah
Image Mystik Tomato
Image RyanHippFTW
Image The Doctor
Image WeirdMary0427

One of you will be the sixth person voted out of Weird Al Survivor IX. Another will be kidnapped by the Jungle Cruise Guides immediately following Tribal Council results. (Tree Mail will be posted at the same time.)

If there are any questions about Tribal Council, ask them here, but remember to keep all Chit Chat in the Chit Chat thread.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

TRIBAL COUNCIL #6 RESULTS

Once the votes are read, the decision is final. The person voted out will be asked to leave the Tribal Council area immediately. That person will also relinquish their Survivor avatar and return to their normal avatar as soon as possible.

A reminder: Please don't take it too personally if you are voted out. No vote for any individual should be taken as an assault on or insult to them as a person or as a member of this forum. Remember, we are all still friends here in WOWAY. But remember too -- this is a GAME, and it is a game in which players must do what they must strategically in order to win!

I'll read the votes.

(Highlight the quote boxes to read the individual votes. Read one at a time for dramatic effect!)
Spoiler:
Mystik Tomato
Spoiler:
Killingsworth
Spoiler:
WeirdMary0427
Spoiler:
The Doctor
Spoiler:
Mystik Tomato
The remaining votes were all for the same person.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

The sixth person voted out of Weird Al Survivor IX...

Spoiler:
The Doctor

The Doctor, the tribe has spoken. Remember to relinquish your Survivor avatar.

It's time for you to go. Thank you so much for playing! Please feel free to say some final words or leave a goodbye message in this thread.

The rest of you Survivors, remember to keep the chit chat in the other thread!

-----------------

KIDNAPPING #6
The Jungle Cruise Guides have decided to kidnap...

Spoiler:
RyanHippFTW
In a moment, you will lose access to your tribe's forum and see the Jungle Cruise Guide forum. You'll stay there until the next challenge is posted, unless of course you decide to permanently join that tribe.

Stay tuned for Tree Mail, posted in a few minutes!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Stay tuned for a major game announcement that will be posted Thursday night, March 8. I'll be working late that night so unfortunately I can't provide a specific time, but needless to say, you will not need to be present for this.

Ryan has until 10 PM EST tomorrow night to switch tribes.

------------------------------

As a reminder, keep sending me your confessionals! I've heard from several players but would love to get everyone's thoughts and strategies about the game. All will be kept strictly confidential.