Weird Al Survivor IX - Gameplay Thread - WINNER REVEALED!

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Re: Weird Al Survivor IX - Gameplay Thread

Post by anthontherun »

Just to clarify a few questions raised in PM...

-Your accuracy in answering the trivia questions will have no basis in your final score. It only determines the answers for the second part of the challenge, which is where accuracy does matter.

-If one or more players fail to submit answers, I won't adjust any of the numbers you give me. That's one of the unknowns in this challenge--not only how your competitors will answer, but if they will answer in the first place.

-Because we're really only looking for the number of correct answers for each trivia question, it doesn't really matter if you fail to answer one or more of those as long as you complete the second part. So the automatic 11 points only comes into play if you miss an answer in the second part. (Although if you're submitting an entry and you want to deliberately miss a trivia question, you might as well throw in a joke to amuse me!)
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

About five hours left to get your entries in!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

You guys ready for some results?

I did not receive entries from Alicia, Amerah or Mary. That means there were a total of 8 entries to work with.

So let's start off with the correct answers, as well as the number of people who answered each one correctly.
1. Cable TV 6
2. Bankrupt 5
3. Conan O'Brien 6
4. Michael Jackson 6
5. Buddy Holly 6
6. The Food Album 7
7. Couch Potato 6
8. In 3-D 6
9. OJ Simpson 5
10. Alapalooza 6
11. The Who 5
12. Billy Joel and Nirvana 6
13. Red snapper 6
14. Lasagna 7
15. Money for Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies* 6

Now let's take a look at everyone's predicted number of correct answers (dingo did not submit a guess for #9):

Alright, so now we'll look at the differences between the actual number of correct answers vs. your predictions. Remember, it doesn't matter whether you were high or low--so for #14 for example, if you guessed 6 or 8, you were 1 point off.

There were a lot of close scores, but two people had 31, the lowest (and therefore most accurate) score: Elvis and Mystik Tomato. We have a tie!

As per the instructions, the tie will be broken by the player with the highest score. That would be Killingsworth, with 53.

So here's how we'll go about doing this: Chris and Dave will have until tomorrow, Monday, March 19 at 7 PM EDT, to post a plea in this topic, telling/asking/demanding/etc. as to why Casey should award them immunity over the other. After they have both posted their pleas, Casey will have until tomorrow night at midnight EDT to post his decision in this topic. (Obviously, if both Chris and Dave post their statements earlier than the deadline, Casey can post his decision early too. But Casey cannot post his decision beforehand, unless the 7 PM EDT deadline passes.)

If other players wish to make a case for Chris or Dave, you may do so via PM to Casey or in the Chitchat topic.

Also, if anyone notices a math discrepancy of some sort (obviously I did the calculations in Excel but who knows), please point it out as soon as possible.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Why should I get immunity? Because I would hope that the tribal alliances would keep us together. But, y'know, I realise it's a free-for-all game at the moment and you might need more convincing than that. I get it.

Basically, Dave is like a Michael Jackson album: Thriller DANGEROUS. The dude's a fountain of Weird Al knowledge, and has already proven himself in previous Survivor matches as a formidable opponent. Hell, he already got immunity in the last challenge. Do we really want him getting Immunity again? And again? How long until he'll be beaten for immunity again? Who knows? Let's focus on the bigger threat here.

(I have to add that his entire strategy for this round was "Put 8 as every answer". One of those drinky fountain birds could've done the exact same thing and had the same result.)
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Mystik Tomato wrote:
(I have to add that his entire strategy for this round was "Put 8 as every answer". One of those drinky fountain birds could've done the exact same thing and had the same result.)
Aw hell! I tried the exact same thing and decided against it because it seemed corny :lol:
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

I need immunity for this challenge, because without it, there's a very good chance I'm going home.

After the last vote it appears that the former Minor Celebrities are picking off the former Jungle Cruise Guides one by one until we're all gone.  That's fine, but once we're all gone, you will need to start eating your own.  There will be 7 of you left.  Do you feel comfortable in your own position in the tribe to make it to the final 4?  How about the final 2?  If the tribe splits 4-3 are you in the 4, or in the 3?

If you weren't the one who came up with the idea to blindside Stephen, you aren't in control of the game.  The Minor Celebrities are very capable of blindsiding you too.  Just ask Stephen.  If you want to make a move and take control of the game, you need to do it now while you still have my swing votes.  I am willing to be a swing vote in this tribal council and future tribal councils.

You should use the former Jungle Cruise Guides as swing votes, while you still have us all available to you.

Regarding my submission for this challenge, while it may appear to some that I had a drinking bird choose, I had a well thought out strategy.  I expected Mary would not submit an entry as she hasn't been around much lately.  I anticipated that one person would intentionally throw all the answers, and I anticipated that everyone else would intentionally get one wrong at random.  Since there was no way to know which question people chose to answer incorrectly, I assumed it was evenly distributed across all questions, thereby coming up with 8.  Again, since I had no way to know what questions were intentionally answered incorrectly, I assigned 8 to all questions, knowing I would get a few points here and there, but hoping my score would stay low enough to win immunity.   I personally answered all the questions correctly.  I included my strategy to anth when I sent my submission.  If he's allowed to say, you can confirm with him.

Dave
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Thanks guys. Great arguments from both of you. Now it's your call, Casey. Let us know your decision as soon as possible.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Well, I carefully mulled this over and since I'd hate to keep everyone in suspense (even an hour and a half before MY deadline) let me tell you how I came to my final decision. Chris and Dave both made some very interesting points on how the game is currently being played. However, one major factor that influenced my decision was the fact that Dave already had immunity previously and seeing a little bit of how he plays firsthand myself, that wouldn't exactly be fair to the other players. Also, his argument (while very strategically sound) could just be theoretically thrown out the window if you consider that technically since we're all part of one big tribe now, we're all already "eating our own" which is kind of what Chris was getting at. From what I've seen in previous challenges, those who can show loyalty, honesty and spirit where it really counts are more in control of this game than anyone. Make of that what you will, but I'm sure these people know who they are whichever tribe they may have originated from. I feel that those confident in not only their own standing in the game, but also in their tribe mates standings and how their tribe has evaluated each other will make it very far come whatever. That is why I've come to the decision that immunity for this round shall go to...
Spoiler:
Mystik Tomato
...and now that all has been said and done, let the next tribal council commence!
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Tribal Council 8

Welcome, Survivors, to Tribal Council. This is where you will answer for your actions and your contributions to the tribe. At Tribal Council, fire represents life on the island. When your fire's gone, so are you.

Each of you will send me a Private Message with the name of the person you want to vote out of the tribe. Please use their actual SCREENNAME, so that it will be easier to tally the votes. You can include a reason if you'd like, but you don't have to. Once you've cast your vote, you may not change it. If any Tribe Members fail to vote by 2:30 a.m. EST Thursday, March 22, their vote will count as an automatic vote against them. Once all the votes have been cast, I will tally and then read the votes.

Image AAmerah
Image Big Spoon
Image Elvis
Image Killingsworth
Image MissyMoo38
Image RyanHippFTW
Image the dingo
Image TMBJon
Image WeirdMary0427
Image Wizzerkat

One of you will be the eighth person voted out of Weird Al Survivor IX and the first official member of our jury. Unless...

Image Mystik Tomato

You have individual immunity, but if you wish, you may:
-Give it away to another player
-Give it up in exchange for casting two votes at tonight's Tribal Council
-Give it up in exchange for an advantage at the next immunity challenge

Because I'm extending this voting period to 48 hours instead of 24, Mystik, you have until 5 PM EDT Tuesday, March 20 to announce in this thread if you wish to take one of these options. Otherwise, it will be assumed that you will be holding on to it. Please do not send me any votes until Mystik posts his decision, or that 5 PM EDT deadline passes.

If you have the hidden immunity idol and you wish to play it this round, you must inform me via PM before the voting deadline. Remember that you may not play it on behalf of another player, and you may not give it to someone else during the voting period (you may, however, inform me via PM that you wish to do so until the 5 PM EDT deadline on Tuesday). If there are any questions about Tribal Council, ask them here, but remember to keep all Chit Chat in the Chit Chat thread.

Three players didn't compete in this challenge and I don't know if they've been on the board as of late--so if you're in touch with them, please let them know to make sure to vote.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Tribal Council #8 Discussion

As always, these questions are entirely optional--you can answer as many or as few as you wish, either here or in the Chitchat topic.

1. It's no secret that there are more former Minor Celebrities than Jungle Cruise Guides in the Helen Kellers tribe, and one of those Jungle Cruise Guides was voted out last round. Do you see the tribes sticking together for good, or will new alliances and dynamics emerge?
2. From now on, everyone voted out will become a member of the jury. How does this affect your strategy?
3. Now that the game is individual, do you see it as a matter of taking out threats as soon as possible, or do you hope to create an endgame with the best players duking it out?
4. Which player do you think is in the best position at the moment? Why?
5. If you are voted out, knowing that you will be the first member of the jury, what will you be looking for from the remaining players in terms of eventually casting your vote for one of them to win?