Weird Al Survivor IX - Gameplay Thread - WINNER REVEALED!

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: Weird Al Survivor IX - Gameplay Thread

Post by Killingsworth »

It’s a pleasure hearing from all of you. I’m going to try to answer all of your questions in the order that they were posted in this thread.

Alicia: Well, I would say I myself am more of a “hottie”, but that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Joe: That’s actually a pretty good (but tough) question and I’d like to provide a thoughtful answer. After looking back through this thread a bit, I would have to say that it’s a challenge enough in itself to narrow it down to just one! A lot of the later challenges after the merge seemed pretty strenuous, but the first puzzle challenge (“Life Is Like A Box Of Lyrics”) was one of the toughest for me. I was also tempted to say how the “Extra Gory Version” was one of the toughest creatively obviously because I took on most of the heavy lifting myself, but I really learned not to overestimate my ability to lead that weekend. Still, I’d have to say only losing by one-third of a point wasn’t bad because that one was pretty close! After the merge, the trivia challenge (“Everything You Know Is Wrong”) and the six degrees and HIMYM-themed ones were also pretty challenging because of their sheer complexity. I had no clue how to even approach guessing my opponent’s accuracy! As far as the easiest challenges go, I can’t really single one out as the easiest as literally all of the ones I just mentioned struck delicate balance between being both straight forward and being demanding to keep up with. I hope that answers your question!

Wizzerkat: To answer your first question, I wouldn’t say I had an alliance with anyone prior to the start of the game. Obviously, I had some alliance with Jon but I would just say that developed over time as we coordinated on challenges and discussed how we were going to vote at tribal council. Although while I’m at it, I think this is as good a place as ever to mention that I chatted with minnick via PM when I was first kidnapped. The only incentive he offered me to join the JCGs was strength in numbers and as he put it “you want to be some low level celebrity, or a guide, a leader if you will” which really just meant “what’s in a name, huh?” Looking back, the JCGs obviously didn’t pick me because they thought it would be good to work with me and I didn’t think I could necessarily work with any of them. I think minnick really nailed this point home when he said “I'll be frank. You guys lost the first challenge. Somebody has to” so neither team seemed to value me. Anyway, after I read this I talked it over with Jon and…well, I’m sure you all know the rest. I outlined it in my opening statement.

To answer your second question, I never thought I could “bend” anyone to my point of view given my general lack of experience with this game. In fact, I don’t think I had a particular “way of thinking” that was worth getting people to come around to (as far as long term strategy or who to vote out or anything). Chris and I seemed to get along well throughout the game and seemed to have reasonable similar points of view on the game in general, but I chose to work with him rather than convince him of anything. Still, I feel like he would’ve at least been open to any ideas I might have had. Voting him out was mostly Jon’s strategy that I had nothing to do with.

Ryan: To answer your first and fourth questions only, I just thought everyone would appreciate hearing some gratitude from me just before the voting stage as if it weren’t for them, I wouldn’t have even made it this far (that even somehow includes you, smart guy…also would someone care to refresh my memory on who Tommy Zissou is?) and all I can say about Twitter is that I don’t take it very seriously. I’m sorry, but I’m choosing to respectfully ignore the rest of your questions as they aren’t relevant to the game at all. Still, it’s been fun playing Ferrell/Trebek to your Hammond/Connery during this whole thing. How you got to be on ANY jury is totally amazing!

I now hand the floor over to Jon, anth or any juror who has yet to post. Thanks again, and may the best man win!
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

I would very much appreciate it if you'd please answer my other questions. We are the jury, you are not. We have questions, not you. That is how the game works, smart guy. LOL THIS OTHER GUY ISN'T AS SAMRT AS I AM LOL HOW IS HE ONA JRUY LOL
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Q: Of the two of you, who would you say is more of a hottie? This is solely what I base my voting on in every situation.
Though I may not have the dashing looks of a Neil Patrick Harris, Stephen Colbert, or Vinkesh the Vicious, I am lucky here in that none of those fine fellows are involved in this competition. As Vice President Biden says, "Judge me not against the Almighty, judge me against the alternative." By this standard, I fare much better. Recall that I am currently the incumbent WOWAY Award winner for Al-Man of the Year, an award presented by none other than you!
Q: Which challenge provided the biggest "challenge" for each of you and which challenge was the easiest?
The most challenging challenge was definitely I Don't Boycott The Music Video Channel. Though I have a lot of experience writing parodies, it was difficult to write one under the time constraints. Basing a parody off of an already funny song is never easy. Writing the parody itself was a challenge, and luckily a couple of folks on the team contributed some great ideas. However, the hardest part was getting everyone to submit their parts of the video on time and making sure it was ready by the deadline. I was very afraid that we would have written the superior parody but lose due to a technicality of not having the video uploaded in time. Luckily, the other team had even further challenges. The least challenging challenge was Harvey Danger because I have a pretty strong logic/math background and was able to see the game a few moves in advance, thus forcing my opponents into choosing their own defeat.
1. Was there anyone you had an alliance arrangement with prior to the game or that you asked to join thinking you might be able to use/work with them?
Before the game even began, I offered an alliance with Mystik Tomato. I think it worked relatively well, though we probably did not need to enter a formal alliance in order to have the kind of conversations that we had, which amounted to discussing who should be voted off for a few rounds and very little long-term strategy. This alliance probably helped my decision to vote out Stephen when he came out so adamantly in favor of voting out Mystik.
2. Was there anyone during gameplay that you felt you could more easily bend to your way of thinking?
Yes, absolutely. That would be Killingsworth. As he has indicated, there was indeed something of an alliance between us, but this formed out of necessity early on when I wanted to get Stephen out and needed to get every swing vote possible. As I've mentioned before, I was on the verge of voting Casey out at that time, but Stephen argued very convincingly that Casey could be a reliable vote moving forward. I used this to my advantage and formed this alliance with Casey in order to ensure a second vote for most challenges from that point on. At no point did Casey try to convince me to vote one way or another, but every time we discussed the forthcoming vote, he was happy to vote the way I suggested.
Be honest here, don't pull any of that Tommy Zissou smurf.
I believe you mean Tommy Wiseau, director of The Room. Unless you for some reason are referring to the Wes Anderson film, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

No, that isn't right ever.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

So far we've heard from every juror except for Mystik, so once he posts (or the deadline passes) and Jon and Casey respond--and post closing statements if they wish--we'll be ready for the vote.

As a reminder to both the finalists and the jury--Jon and Casey aren't required to answer every question posed to them, but obviously you can choose to take this into account when casting your vote.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Hey cool, I was a linchpin to the entire outcome of the game!
However, I think it is also interesting that, without fail, every single time I voted in a Tribal Council, I voted for the person who was ultimately voted out.
Had I voted in the round that I was eliminated in, it would have been Casey who would've left in my spot. Were that to happen, how do you both feel the game would have changed in the challenges and voting for the rest of the game?

I also would like to know why I should vote for the opposing player.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Good questions, Chris. If I were voted out in your place right after the "Six Degrees" challenge, you or Joe or Wizzerkat may have had the opportunity to wind up in my current position but it would be too late to have any other noticeable short term effect on the outcome of the game because Jon would still have the necessary skills and resources to win the final three challenges the way he did and he would likely still be here in the final two. I could also see Jon reasonably convincing the rest of you how to vote when it came time for tribal council. Other than that, I would have ended up on the jury with at least a couple people whom I may or may not have burned bridges with (they know who they are) having to actually come up with questions instead of just answering them (which I'm sure takes much more effort).

As far as why you should vote for Jon, well...he did raise a valid point about how he had more to contribute to our teams' victories than myself. He also had the drive to persuade several members of his team how to vote in tribal council because he must have had some vision for the outcome of this game. Mainly, he must have just envisioned himself winning but he was a better idea man than me and was more skilled in the areas of long term planning and strategy. This was evident in not only his performance in challenges but also in his cases on who should get voted out next and why. My performances in individual challenges was nothing to write home about. As I've said, I never one my own immunity because I tended to not place higher than second. Even my contributions to most of the team challenges seemed minimal in retrospect. Jon did perform better in challenges and in some way, the challenges are supposed to have an influence on how tribal council votes turn out early on before this game just turns into a behind-the-scenes popularity contest. Jon saw through all that and excelled in challenges while at the same time influencing others' votes thereby giving our team a reason to value his efforts. As Jon pointed out, my team actually valued me very little except when it came time for tribal council most likely because I was trying WAAAAY too hard. To sum up, Jon more embodies the basic values and principles of this game and I was just his most trusted yes man.

I now hand the floor over to Jon and anth while I attempt to compose a brief closing statement.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Had I voted in the round that I was eliminated in, it would have been Casey who would've left in my spot. Were that to happen, how do you both feel the game would have changed in the challenges and voting for the rest of the game?
First of all, for what it's worth, I should admit to using the fact that certain players were not voting as assistance in certain votes, including the votes against Chris and Alicia. I believe the Jungle Cruise Guides tried to do this once or twice as well, voting against Weird Mary during the round when Elvis was voted out.
Had Casey been voted out early, I would not have shed a tear. My strategy to win would not have changed drastically. At that point, I probably would have relied more heavily on my alliances with the other players - likely both Chris and Joe - going forward. I would love to say that it would have made the competition more difficult as tougher players would have remained, however I noticed that some of the competition did not participate at all in the later challenges. In general, I think the toughest competition was knocked out earlier on, a deliberate strategy on my part to make the endgame less foreboding. However, I think the voting order would have remained similar, probably with some combination of Joe, Chris, and Ryan in the final three with me.
I also would like to know why I should vote for the opposing player.
There is one main reason that someone would vote for Casey over me. If, after reading all of my posts, you feel that I was too manipulative or too reliant on whipping votes, you might be inclined to vote for Casey. Casey was more of a team player. He worked with the Minor Celebrities and did what was asked of him in each challenge. He was not a leader, necessarily, but he put 100% effort into each task. He did not organize a coup, as I did with Stephen, but he was happy to vote for one.

If you value an earnest team player who did as he was asked for each challenge, you should vote for Casey. However, if you value a leader who can rally his team to consistent victories, win immunity after immunity, and knows how to play the game and cast votes to ensure himself a spot in the Final Two, you should vote for me.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Thank you, jury, for some great questions, and Casey and Jon for some very thought-provoking answers. If the two of you would like to post some closing statements, please do so as soon as possible...and (for the last time this season!) let me know what times would work for you early next week (preferably Sunday or Monday night) for a live reunion/winner reveal. Obviously we want as many players as possible to show up (whether they made the jury or not) but we definitely want the final two to be there. Or if you'd prefer not to have the big live dealio, let us know that too.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Ill be in Disney World, so no reunion for me