The Big 2007 Grammys Topic

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

Leonard Cohen
Occasional

Post by Leonard Cohen »

Now that Al has his first Top 10 album and song, what are the chances that he will be nominated in the major catogories?

Album of the Year: Straight Outta Lynwood
Song of the Year: White & Nerdy
Record of the Year: White & Nerdy

He's obviously going to win best Comedy Album and maybe he'll win an award for some music video category.
Miss Janine
Obsessed

Post by Miss Janine »

I think they might be pretty good. I'm trying not to have the mindset of "Oh, Al's gonna win, why worry?", but it's really hard since I think SOL is definitely Grammy-caliber stuff.

When are the noms announced?
Hmmm...something's gone horribly awry here...
Al Team 2772!
RIP Bela
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

who else is likely to be nominated for Best Comedy Album? Does that include spoken-word stuff too....I really think that should be a seperate category
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

This topic would be better served in the Media Al section, wouldn't it? Mods?

I think this cd has a very good chance at being nominated in all those categories, though.

The comedy category is all-encompassing, meaning both spoken word and music. They just changed it, making it possible for PH to earn that Grammy.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

Thinking back, if PH won that Grammy without a video and a high charting single, there's something wrong with the universe if SOL, with it's top 10 single, doesn't win a Grammy.

I really don't like that the Best Comedy Album category is all encompassing. I don't think it's fair that Al should have to compete with stand-up comedians, and vise-versa, it just doesn't seem fair. But then I guess comedy music isn't 'mainstream' enough to warrant its own category...
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Well, there really aren't many other comedy artists who also sing, so I think it's fair. It's better than them leaving the category the way it was for those 15 years Al missed out on because they had changed it to spoken word only. I for one am grateful that it was changed.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I think "White and Nerdy" definitely deserves to be nominated for something. SOL should win Best Comedy Album without a problem, but it would be nice to see Al win more than one. He definitely deserves it.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

If they had a category for comedy music only, Al would be getting a Grammy without fail every three years. They're probably not going to institute the diametric opposite of the Yankovic Exclusionary Rule.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Call me optimistic but I think Al has the Best Comedy Album category locked up even if he is competing against stand-up comedians. Poodle Hat was able to win and it was hardly even critically acclaimed let alone popular with the masses. This album will also take that Grammy unless there is an obvious frontrunner when the nominees are announced (which should be pretty soon).

And sorry, but the odds of Al winning one of the big three categories are even less than getting into the Rock Hall.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
SwissAlFan
Occasional

Post by SwissAlFan »

i think SOL deserves to be nominated for a grammy as well a w & n....

i just read somewhere the noms will be announced on december 7....
AL Team #3340
Jeannine Z.