The Big 2007 Grammys Topic

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

weirdalisthephantomoftheopera
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by weirdalisthephantomoftheopera »

Ya, enough about the people who we hate that were also nominated for the same category, let's just all give Al a round of applause for getting nominated. :Y
"Beneath this pillow is the key to my release...I believe she misinterpreted my intentions entirely."

~Meli
FreedomandLaughs
Occasional

Post by FreedomandLaughs »

I'm not convinced that Al's album was the best comedy record. I've long thought his strength is more in music than in comedy per se, that he's thought of too much as a comedian, a joke, and not enough as a composer and performer of music. There are great laughs to be had from the album, but it's not as funny, second-for-second, as great stand up comedy. It's rather the combination of great music and clever lyrics that makes Al's stuff wonderful. If there were a category for comedy music, he should win in that.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

FreedomandLaughs @ Feb 22 2007, 03:24 PM wrote: If there were a category for comedy music, he should win in that.
Alas, I don't think it'll ever happen simply because not many comedy musicians are signed onto major labels. A lot of them are independent.

It would be awesome if that category existed though...
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

Al would have 12 Grammy's right now if that category existed.
taste is only something if it is yours.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Yeah, but he'd also be the only nominee. And on the years he doesn't have a new album, they'd have to ditch the category.
white_and_nerdy
Occasional

Post by white_and_nerdy »

If weird al is not at least nominated for a grammy that is a sign that the grammy award is no longer anything to celebrate about getting. It is probably also a sign that the people who nominate the people should be fired. If he does get nominated he has to win, if he doesn't. :o :o OMG :o :o If he is nominated then he WILL win best comedy album.
Did you listen to your hour of weird al today?

I know pi to a thousand places.....
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Bruce the Duck @ Feb 22 2007, 07:28 PM wrote: Yeah, but he'd also be the only nominee. And on the years he doesn't have a new album, they'd have to ditch the category.
Well today there are more comedy musicians besides Al on major labels: Tenacious D, Cledus T. Judd (he used to be on Koch, I dunno if he's on one now), and I think Bob Rivers and Stephen Lynch are signed.

And all those artists could be heavy competition if that category existed.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ducttapeearth
Obsessed

Post by ducttapeearth »

weirdojace @ Feb 23 2007, 07:33 PM wrote: Well today there are more comedy musicians besides Al on major labels: Tenacious D, Cledus T. Judd (he used to be on Koch, I dunno if he's on one now), and I think Bob Rivers and Stephen Lynch are signed.
Yeah, but they're not nearly as popular as Allan Sherman, Spike Jones, or Tom Lehrer were back in their time. Al may not be the only signed comedy musician, but he is the most popular.
taralyn919
Addicted

Post by taralyn919 »

A friend of mine ran into Al at the Grammys then again at the Sony after party.

:) Tara Lyn
An anthropomorphic cat at a urinal? That's crazy!
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Very cool! Nice pic, too!
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325