The Big 2007 Grammys Topic

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

But Larry the Cable Guy's act is satirical. He exaggerates the attitudes of southerners for the purpose of comedy. What David Cross is saying is also satire. Have you ever read "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathon Swift? In it, he suggests that the English eat children. He wasn't being serious, though. He was taking an outrageous suggestion and advocating it in order to make a point. This is the same situation.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I understand that Larry the Cable Guy is ostensibly satirical, but let me pose this question: do you agree that, by and large, he appeals to a high percentage of the "redneck" population that he is supposedly making fun of? There's a fine line between laughing at and laughing with. Larry the Cable Guy is doing the latter.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Oh, most definitely. He's definitely laughing with instead of laughing at.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
American Pie
Die-hard Fan

Post by American Pie »

TMBJon @ Feb 17 2007, 10:56 AM wrote: I understand that Larry the Cable Guy is ostensibly satirical, but let me pose this question: do you agree that, by and large, he appeals to a high percentage of the "redneck" population that he is supposedly making fun of? There's a fine line between laughing at and laughing with. Larry the Cable Guy is doing the latter.
And what's wrong with that? Plus, the "rednecks" are not the only ones who appreciate what he does. I may be from the south but don't consider myself a "redneck" and still find Larry to be hilarious. I still don't understand what's the problem with having a comedy act that makes people laugh?
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon .
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Stephen Colbert is an example of satire. He is making fun of conservative pundits, but he appeals largely to moderates and liberals who appreciate the O'Reilly parody. David Cross, in his open letter, satirizes Larry the Cable Guy's tendency to include toilet humor and redneck related jokes which appeals largely to idiots and rednecks. You may not be one of the above, but that is unquestionably Larry the Cable Guy's biggest market. Therefore he is not satirical.

I'm not saying you can't enjoy his comedy, but to tie this back to the original topic, the award for Best Comedy Album should go to the artist who uses smart comedy, not recycled old jokes about farts and whose catch phrase is "Git-R-Done."

Anyway this discussion has gone way off topic and I've said all I want to say on the subject.
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

TMBJon @ Feb 18 2007, 01:59 PM wrote: Anyway this discussion has gone way off topic and I've said all I want to say on the subject.
So, in other words, you've Got-R-Done. :P
taste is only something if it is yours.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Noodles
Occasional

Post by Noodles »

Orthography Enthusiast @ Feb 14 2007, 03:16 AM wrote: He who laughs last, laughs best. :)
Actually, he who laughs last was too stupid to get the joke.
Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1699
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

That only works in certain contexts.
taste is only something if it is yours.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Noodles @ Feb 18 2007, 05:48 PM wrote: Actually, he who laughs last was too stupid to get the joke.
:lol: That's great! Mind if I make that my signature? :lol:

Too late! :P