Weird Al Survivor Viii: Gameplay Only Thread

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

RobInMD
Occasional

Post by RobInMD »

Well, it should surprise neither of the two finalists that I feel totally betrayed. Both of them know that I helped get them to where they are now, but they stabbed me in the back when I didn't expect it at all. I give them their props, though; they were the two best players in the game, at least with respect to the challenges, and whichever person wins will be deserving.

Anyway, I thank everyone for a fun game. It was interesting to "meet" all of you, who share such a common interest. I'll admit it (some of you already suspect this, and I didn't try all that hard to hide it): I am not much of a Weird Al fan! Don't get me wrong, I think the man is immensely talented, but since I am completely out of touch with pop culture these days, parodies of it don't do much for me. Anyway, I had played a version of Survivor on TotalFark and had a blast, so I created an account here as soon as I heard I could maybe get in on this one. ;) It added a whole different challenge to the game, me not being terribly familiar with the subject matter, and had I made the final two I would have REALLY enjoyed the huge challenge of trying to talk people into voting for me somehow :)

I really hope you all don't mind that an outsider came in and played your game. It was a lot of fun immersing myself in all this, and it only increased the huge amount of respect I have for Al as a result. I also hope you'll forgive me for having contributed to the drama. I had strong feelings about what I perceived as unfair--still do--and I'm not one to bite my tongue. Regardless, at the end of the day I hope you will all look back and think that this season was an exciting one to be a part of, and I hope you'll all welcome me back to your community in the future.

Anyway, questions:

U62: While I obviously take issue with certain decisions you made in the game, I salute you for bringing Keir along with you to the final. I must ask: do you want to win this game? If so, for what reason(s) should I or any other voter vote for you over Keir?

Keir: It is my gut feel that U62 arranged the deal that led to my being voted out. Am I correct in this? How far ahead of time did you know it was coming? What were your thoughts on it then, and now?
Keir
Obsessed

Post by Keir »

Rob, I understand how you must feel. Please don't take it personally. Yes, U62 approached me first about voting you off, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't already considering it after the whole spatula incident. I don't blame you for the drama - lots of people played a part in that, myself included. However, your actions made me feel that you were more concerned with winning than having fun. That was why I decided it was best for the game and everyone involved if we voted you off. It was a risky decision for me since I would have been voted off next challenge if Laurel had won immunity. On the other hand, I welcomed the risk that my decision brought because it made the game more fun knowing I could lose. My opinion hasn't changed. Again, it's nothing personal and I hope you do decide to stick around and see what else this forum has to offer.
Wishing you a Twisted Christmas and a Twisted New Year!
U62
Die-hard Fan

Post by U62 »

Hi Rob,

Good questions. 100 % yes, I do want to win this game. Every move I have made in this game, from the start to now has been done to put me in the position I am now. I have put my fullest effort and dedication into every challenge this season to get to this point.

Like Keir and nearly all members of WOWAY, I am a dedicated Weird Al fan. But that alone isn't enough to win this game. Besides working hard on the challenges, I've tried to play as strategically as possible between challenges as well -- when voting, making alliances, and yes, even breaking them.

You have every right to feel betrayed. If not for my vote, you would have easily sailed into the final three with Keir and very likely be sitting next to him now in the final two answering my questions instead of the other way around.

I'll do my best to give you the explanation you deserve. Even if you don't agree with the decision, at least you might be able to understand it better.

Before you were voted off, there were five players left. Keir, you and I were aligned, and based on a brief email correspondence with Hippielishus, it was clear to me that girls were aligned on the other side. Seeing where the alliances were, it was apparent how the voting would likely play out for the next few rounds and how things would probably end up.

I took a calculated risk when casting my vote for you. Had the other alliance voted for me instead of you, I could have been the one voted off. But this is Survivor, and my #1 goal was to survive to the end by any means. I could sense you were a strong game player who played a leadership role in setting up and directing our alliance. Ultimately that made you a threat to my survival.

From a purely strategic point, my chances at making the final two were better being part of a two man alliance versus the other two man alliance. The alternative would have left me vulnerable to be voted out in either of the following two rounds. So I took the opportunity that presented itself, and would do so again.

But I do want to thank you for your help in getting here, and apologize if you had hard feelings about the breakup of our alliance. It was a pleasure being your teammate and alliance member, and I had no idea you weren't much of a Weird Al fan. I'm impressed!

So anyway, if you feel that my choices should exclude me from winning, by all means vote for Keir. I floated him the idea of voting for you, and of all the players in this season of Weird Al Survivor, he was among the best. I would not feel bad losing to him.

However... if you can look past your eviction and see my game play as a whole and the underlying strategy used to get here, then I humbly ask for and would appreciate your vote.

Thank you.

U62
My name is U62 and I approved this message!
RobInMD
Occasional

Post by RobInMD »

I appreciate both of your responses. I'll wait to see if anyone else has anything to ask before casting my vote.
The Doctor
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by The Doctor »

I have sent PMs to the remaining Jury members earlier today.
Silence will fall.
weirdalisthephantomoftheopera
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by weirdalisthephantomoftheopera »

Wow! The final two! Congrats to both of you! As a survivor, I knew I wouldn't win. I was relatively new to the forum even if I wasn't new to being a fan, and I signed up, only to later realize I had too much on my plate with summer school and then the biggest scare in any teenager's life, starting high school. The Greys were the stronger tribe, we all knew that while playing, my tribe only won one challenge and I only won immunity once, so I knew after seeing that, my being voted out was coming, and I accepted it, since at the time I was the last remaining Grail. Why am I ranting on about this? Well, silly, because this is leading up to my questions. My questions, unlike Rob's, will not be so personally aimed, but will include their thoughts of the players around them. The game was meant for fun, and not just for winning. The winner should have a special emotional strength that doesn't show greed, but acceptance and evaluation of their fellow survivors.

Keir, you made it so far and I knew from participating in the live challenge with the anagrams that you were a strong and smart player. My question is, were you expecting to make it to the final two with U62, or were you expecting another player to be along side with you?

U62, you are also a very strong and dedicated player. Your question from me is, what were your first reactions to seeing who was in your tribe?

I look forward to both of your answers and to seeing who the winner of Survivor will be. Good luck! :)
"Beneath this pillow is the key to my release...I believe she misinterpreted my intentions entirely."

~Meli
Keir
Obsessed

Post by Keir »

weirdalisthephantomoftheopera @ Jan 4 2008, 09:55 PM wrote: Keir, you made it so far and I knew from participating in the live challenge with the anagrams that you were a strong and smart player. My question is, were you expecting to make it to the final two with U62, or were you expecting another player to be along side with you?
Thanks, Meli. I knew from the beginning that U62 was one of the better players on our tribe, and when we formed a 3-way alliance with Rob after the merge I had a strong suspicion that I would be going to the final two with U62. I'm very happy that it turned out this way as he's been a great partner and definitely deserves the title of Sole Survivor at least as much as me, if not more.
Wishing you a Twisted Christmas and a Twisted New Year!
childofthespiral
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by childofthespiral »

Keir, U62. Congratulations for making it to the final two!

I didn't expect to win any more than Meli did, and.... I don't think I'll participate in Survivor anymore after this is over. I also haven't been watching the last few rounds of this game like I should, because, well, life gets in the way sometimes. So instead of reading back through the gameplay thread, I have one request from each of you. Convince me why I should vote for you to win, and not your opponent. That is all.
mind=blown
Oh, the secrets we keep
The Doctor
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by The Doctor »

If I don't hear from the remaining jury members before Monday at 6pm, PST, I'll consider the voting officially started.
Silence will fall.
NerdyNyara27
Off The Deep End

Post by NerdyNyara27 »

Keir, U62 - I said my piece when I was voted out of the game. So I'll make this short and sweet.

Taking the opposite stance from Autumn - tell me why you would have me vote for your opponent rather than yourself. (Basically, I'm looking for how well you guys can be sporting and acknowledge what the other has done well in this game. :))

- Laurel -
'Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe using a kettle and some string! And look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable.'