Spoiler Forum Chit Chat Topic

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

Yes. Right. Sorry.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Alright guys, this is getting ridiculous already. I know everything I want to know pretty much already so I'm out of the spoiler forum until the album comes out. Now that the songs are leaked, I'm not liking the fact that I'm stumbling over lyrics and actual impressions of the songs. I'd rather make my own opinions. See you on September 26 for the extensive discussions!
-Jon

PS Could anyone sympathetic to my plight please PM me when we find out what Virus Alert and Weasal Stomping Day are style parodies of?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

Yep, I'm going to be taking my leave of the Spoiler forum now, too. I'm lucky to have not read lyrics or impressions, or even the artists/songs in the polka, so I ain't complaining. See y'all sooner or later!
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I haven't read all the individual song threads, so forgive me if this has been answered already. I've read though that a couple songs are style parodies of Brian Wilson, Rage Against the Machine, and Cake. I'm vaguely familiar with Brian Wilson, and not really at all familiar with Rage or Cake. Can someone who has heard the songs suggest some specific Wilson, Rage, and Cake songs that would help me get an idea of the sound of the originals. Thanks!
MaleHeffer
Addicted
Location: In The Middle Of Missouri, which hasn't had an AL sighting since 1992

Post by MaleHeffer »

well, a lot of Cake sounds the same, but Short Skirt Long Jacket reminds me a lot of this. rage...hmm.... i don't think i could tell you a specific song. lemme check on iTunes... Killing In The Name musically sounds similar, and Gerilla Radio vocally sounds close.
"MaleHeffer"
AL Team #1227

Still depressed i missed this last tour...
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

Well there are parts in Close But No Cigar in which the horns sound a bit like a higher pitched version of the horn riff in "Love You Madly". It's closer to the poppier sounding Cake stuff like "Love You Madly", "Short Skirt Long Jacket", "Sheep Go To Heaven", as opposed to songs like "The Distance","Never There" or "No Phone".
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

I don't know if it's been noted, but apparently The Archives over at weirdal.com have all been updated with information about SOL (information on the Recording Dates, Players, etc).
MaleHeffer
Addicted
Location: In The Middle Of Missouri, which hasn't had an AL sighting since 1992

Post by MaleHeffer »

yeah, it was noticed in the "weirdal.com updates" thread. :P
"MaleHeffer"
AL Team #1227

Still depressed i missed this last tour...
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Thanks, Heffer and Marko!
thevince

Post by thevince »

Found it. The booklet's pretty cool and, since this is the spoiler topic, Ruben's in it. Think you might be surprised to see how involved he was in making this album.

(Don't know if anyone already mentioned that... been avoiding the spoilers until I had it.)