Make The Rock Hall Weird!

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Dammit. :(
And Peggy
kyky27
Off The Deep End

Post by kyky27 »

Damn.
"Did you see Journey to the Center of the Earth?"
"I did!"
"Me neither...wait..."
"You had that planned didn't you?"
"..yeah.."
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Overlooked again. :(

I agree with Metallica and can see the case for Run DMC. The others I'm not familiar enough with to know if they are worthy, which means, if it was up to me, they wouldn't get in.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Quab
Die-hard Fan

Post by Quab »

metaliica and beck surely deserve it more because of the fact it's the Rock hall of fame, if there was an alternitive hall of fame al would be there faster then somthing's that fast
Without evil there can be no good, so it must be good to evil sometimes...
Eyeeeeee Satan!
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Quab @ September 23, 2008 02:07 am wrote: metaliica and beck surely deserve it more because of the fact it's the Rock hall of fame, if there was an alternitive hall of fame al would be there faster then somthing's that fast
You dont think Al is a Rock musician?? :blink:
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Well if we're sticking to the definition of rock and saying only ROCK belongs in the ROCK HALL, than yes, Al is not a rock musician. He's pop at best. (I'm not saying that like it's a bad thing, mind you)

Which is why the argument about how rap (Or r&b or pop) doesn't belong is played out, because whenever an Al fan says it and than supports Al for the Hall, it's hypocritical.

I'm not gonna say any more than that, because I have very strong opinions on the subject and I don't want to have to ban myself :P
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Um, Al has definitely played some rock songs, so saying he's pop at best is not true at all. What about "Young, Dumb and Ugly", "Livin' in the Fridge", "Callin' in Sick" *which just rocks my socks off* and most recently "I'll Sue Ya"? Al is more than rock, IMHO. He's practically every genre, except maybe Gregorian chant and viking music, right? He belongs in the R&R Hall of Fame just as much as any other rock musician.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.

Post by Teh Dingo »

Well would you rather I say the dreaded "N" word about Al's genre? :P

Yes, he has done rock songs, but for people who really want to base things off genre instead of see Rock as a general blanket term for music (Which the Hall has always done, not just in the last few years), it's a pretty hard sell to say Al's a rock artist. In fact, look at Eat It....Beat It is most definitely a rock song. And Michael Jackson's done a few other rock songs. But he's not necessarily a rock artist, either.

I'm not trying to start an argument (Like I said, I have a ton of thoughts on this subject I don't want to get into). I think Al has every right to be there. But if we're gonna start in with the Only Artists Specifically in the Genre of Rock Belong in the Rock Hall argument and still say Al has a right to be there, it doesn't add up.

Oh, and I want to make it clear: I'm not saying anyone in this topic is arguing that. I was just answering the question of if Al was rock. I would think we're all in agreement to the answer "YES!", though many people would disagree.

Maybe we should just start a new genre. The genre of AWESOME. Al can go there :)
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Um, you just brought the headache I almost got rid of back.

It may be a hard sell, and, like I said, he's not just rock, but yeah, I'd say yes if someone were to ask if he can rock. There are plenty of non-rock artists in the Rock Hall, so they don't follow the "only rock artists" policy, do they?

Just saying...he should still get in.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.

Post by Teh Dingo »

There are plenty of non-rock artists in the Rock Hall, so they don't follow the "only rock artists" policy, do they?

Which is a point I've already raised.

Look, I'm really sorry you want to see this as me trying to insult Al, but that's certainly not my intent. But I can't say anything that will change your mind, I guess. And quite frankly, this isn't a subject that's worthy of trying to change minds.

Granted, yes, I never believed he had a shot at the Hall (The star is way more likely, though those people don't seem too thrilled either). But I do think he should be there. And that's what counts.