Mandatory Fun (Album 14) Speculation :3

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Re: Mandatory Fun (Album 14) Speculation :3

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

Well here's something that might lend to the theory of it being the Pixies.

I was thinking of other influential and acclaimed 90s bands and one that popped in my head was Belle and Sebastian. Now they don't quite seem like a band that Al might tackle, but I googled "'Belle and Sebastian' and Patton Oswalt" and I found this episode of a radio show that Patton Oswalt co hosted where he talked about music that he likes and his experiences growing up:
http://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2011/ ... ton-oswalt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He talks about how his musical tastes were really "suburban" and didn't really start getting interesting till the 90s, after leaving college and moving out west. He mentions The Pixies twice on the show: once in relation to the 90's band Supergrass where he talks about how doesn't understand why they weren't gigantic like bands like Oasis or Radiohead but that maybe they'll be like the Pixies and that they'll be way more influential on other bands than they had influence on their own fans, as well as mentioning that he had a crush on Kim Deal, "but who didn't?".

So in closing, I've found from this and some other places that Patton does like Pixies, probably didn't discover them till the 90s, and he thinks they're very influential. Couple with the fact that Al has mentioned being a fan of them and he performed live with them a few years ago, it does seem highly likely. But who knows?
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I have no idea if this would discourage Al from doing a Pixies style parody or not, but his friend Liam Lynch (who directed the Craigslist video) already did a really convincing Pixies style parody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmGy3WAQ_wk&feature=kp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

That sounds like pretty solid evidence there, Marko! After all, it doesn't matter if any of us consider the Pixies to be influential. What matters is what Patton thinks. If he used that same word for them in a different context, then it sounds pretty convincing. Good detective work!
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

TMBJon wrote:I have no idea if this would discourage Al from doing a Pixies style parody or not, but his friend Liam Lynch (who directed the Craigslist video) already did a really convincing Pixies style parody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmGy3WAQ_wk&feature=kp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is really good. I guess I feel the same about this as I do that Andy Daly RHCP song. They are incredibly well done, but they're not funny on their own. And I know that's not what those songs are trying to do, but that's what Al does with his style parodies and for that reason, I don't think it would discourage him at all.

Of all the ideas that have been thrown around for the Patton Pastiche, I think I want the Pixies the most. Radiohead is a close second. But honestly, any alt-rock style parody is a welcome addition to the library in my book.

Now watch it not even be an alternative band.
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

Yeah. It'll end up being A Tribe Called Quest.
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

TMBJon wrote:I have no idea if this would discourage Al from doing a Pixies style parody or not, but his friend Liam Lynch (who directed the Craigslist video) already did a really convincing Pixies style parody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmGy3WAQ_wk&feature=kp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He also did a convincing White Stripes parody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91sr0lrobDk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LoveGiblet

Post by LoveGiblet »

If it is the Pixies, it would explain something that's been bugging me. The Pixies spent most of their career in the 80's, releasing their 2 most popular albums in '88 and '89. Because of their influence,they are generally considered a 90's band, which would explain Patton's statement. The fact that they might be considered more of an 80's band would explain Bermuda's statement that he didn't know what he was referring to. Speculation is fun.

Wait, the Flaming Lips also formed in the 80's, and the peak of their popularity was in the 2000's, and can also be considered a 90's band.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

LoveGiblet wrote:Because of their influence,they are generally considered a 90's band, which would explain Patton's statement. The fact that they might be considered more of an 80's band would explain Bermuda's statement that he didn't know what he was referring to.
I'm thinking it's more a case of Bermuda being his adorably evasive self. If there's a Pixies style parody on the album, then he's 99% sure that's who Patton is talking about, but being unaware of Patton's musical taste allows him to be technically honest in saying that he doesn't know which band or song Patton means.

That said, I figure it's highly likely that there are multiple 90s bands style-parodied on this album. Alpocalypse had White Stripes, Weezer, Hanson, and 90s-era Meat Loaf/Jim Steinman. (In fact, The White Stripes are technically a 90s band that's had more success post-2000 so if someone had made a similar tweet before "CNR" came out, we'd have been in the same situation.) If that's the case, then maybe there are a couple that target bands that Bermuda considers among the most influential 90s bands, and he really doesn't know which one Patton means.

Then again, I'd say it's safe to assume Bermuda hasn't spent the tiniest fraction of the amount of time that we have thinking about what Patton meant.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

LoveGiblet wrote:The fact that they might be considered more of an 80's band would explain Bermuda's statement that he didn't know what he was referring to.
I've interpreted Bermuda's statement to mean that he himself wasn't sure which song Patton was talking about. There will be six originals, all likely to be style parodies. The chances are high that more than one of the targets MIGHT be considered a 90s act.

If recent albums are any indication, the style parodies will be based partly on more contemporary artists (Weezer, White Stripes, Hanson, Cake, Rage Against the Machine, Ben Folds Five, Beck) and partly classic/older acts (Queen, Meatloaf, The Doors, USA for Africa, Brian Wilson, Frank Zappa, Bob Dylan, Bo Didly/Bruce Springsteen).

So there could be possibly three different style parodies of bands that started or were mostly popular in the 90s. Bermuda may have just been unsure of which one it was.
LoveGiblet

Post by LoveGiblet »

Skippy wrote: I'd say it's safe to assume Bermuda hasn't spent the tiniest fraction of the amount of time that we have thinking about what Patton meant.
Oh yes, quite safe.