How To Post Avatars And Photos

Where all the new WOWAYers can learn!

Moderator: Moderators

WEIRDALFAN27
Addicted

Post by WEIRDALFAN27 »

I have a question. Say I have a avatar that is 100x100 and its 15kb. How would I make it 6kb?

Steve :stern:
¿
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

You need to compress it with some kind of photo editing software. If you read the first post of this topic, there are some suggestions.

If you find you just can't do it yourself, feel free to email them to me and I can compress them.
ccsyaoran
Obsessed

Post by ccsyaoran »

scottidog @ Jan 20 2004, 05:02 AM wrote: Taking Part of a Picture for a Avatar (NEED: MS Paint)

http://home.cablerocket.com/~p.b.sheppa ... amaker.bmp

Sorry for the large file size, but you can use MS Paint and the Transparent Cut-and-Paste feature to make a black box around a 100x100 pixel image. If black is common in your picture, you should "fill" the outline of the box it to a color that is NOT common with the picture, so u can then "fill" it to be white after. Just crop and save.

Resizing and compressing using irfanview (NEED: irfanview)

Open the image with irfanview, then "Image -> Resize/Resample (Ctrl-R)" change the proportions to 100x100, and BOOM! An avatar sized picture!

To save the image, go "File -> Save as (S)". There are two possible ways to save your new avatar. If there are not to many different colors, u can choose to save it as a .gif file. These pictures are less blurred then .jpg's, and have the option of making one color transparent by checking "Save Transparent Color -> Choose Transparent Color During Saving" (you click a pixel that u want to be transparent, this is usually white), but are bigger files. The other option is to save it as a .jpg. You save it, then go to where u save it and open up the properties and check the size. It has to be under 6KB. Go back to irfanview, move the "JPEG - Save Quality" sliding bar towards the left a little, and save it again (over right the old picture). Go and check the properties, to see if its under 6KB. This takes some practice, but it gets the file JUST UNDER 6KB, making it the best quality possible.
i can! i can! i'm great at that! actually... u can do it yourself!!

P.S.... its by me!!
weirdLA_8235
Regular
Location: USA ,Missouri(Branson/Kirbyville)...in the south/southwest bit of Missouri..sorta

Post by weirdLA_8235 »

This has been probably asked already,a million times over,but how do you put a person picture from a DigitalCam cd as my avatar?

WeirdLA(ura)_8235
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

It has been asked. And answered in the first post of this topic...

If you are such a newbie that you don't know how to find files on your computer, or how to cut and paste, PM me and I'll try to help you through it.  These instructions won't help you if you don't know those basic skills.

The file types supported by this forum are: jpg, jpeg, gig and png.  The size limit for avatars is 100x100 (pixels) and a maximum of 6 K.

You can use the avatars provided with the forum software, upload an avatar from your computer to the WOWAY server, or you can link to your own website if your website supports direct linking.  Most free websites, such as geocities and tripod do not allow for direct linking.

To upload from your computer:  Make sure you know where the file is on your hard drive.  Then log on to WOWAY, and look at the top of any page on the forum.  You will see a link called My Controls.  Click on that link.  Then look to the left side of your screen, on of your options will be Edit Avatar Settings. Click on that.  Look for the space labeled: Upload a new image from your computer.  You will need to click on the Browse button, then go to the location where you stored your image on your hard drive.  Last, but not least:  Click on Update Avatar.

To link to an online image:  First, if you are not linking to a file on your own webspace, make sure you have permission to link to the file.  If you don't have permission, it's called Bandwidth Theft, and it's not nice.  People pay for their webspaces, and some get charged extra for bandwidth.  It's not fair to ask them to pay for your avatar. 

So, assuming you have permission to direct link: Make sure you have the URL link in your clipboard.  Then log on to WOWAY, and look at the top of any page on the forum.  You will see a link called My Controls.  Click on that link.  Then look to the left side of your screen, on of your options will be Edit Avatar Settings. Click on that.  Look for the line that says Enter a URL to an online avatar image and in the line provided paste the URL from your clipboard.  Click on Update Avatar.

There are some WAY avies that have been provided by WOWAY members for everyone to use. You will find them here.  Make sure you download them to your hard drive.  Then upload them as directed above.
27Man

Post by 27Man »

OK! HOW THE HECK DO YOU POST AN AVATAR IF ITS ON NO WEBPAGE???????? >:S >:S >:S >:S
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

To upload from your computer:  Make sure you know where the file is on your hard drive.  Then log on to WOWAY, and look at the top of any page on the forum.  You will see a link called My Controls.  Click on that link.  Then look to the left side of your screen, on of your options will be Edit Avatar Settings. Click on that.  Look for the space labeled: Upload a new image from your computer.  You will need to click on the Browse button, then go to the location where you stored your image on your hard drive.  Last, but not least:  Click on Update Avatar.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dani_WonderHamster

Post by Dani_WonderHamster »

jpg, jpeg, gig and png

.gig? whats a .gig? Do you mean gif?
Dani_WonderHamster

Post by Dani_WonderHamster »

Hello, anyone? did you mean to write .gif instead of .gig???

Are we allowed to have moving gif avatars?
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

Yes, it is supposed to be GIF.

Yes, you're allowed to have moving GIF avatars as long as it is under 6KB.
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;