Pastiches You've Made 1.0

Here you can show your graphics skills or any program made of Weird Al.

Moderator: Moderators

Mad Genius
Obsessed

Pastiches You've Made 1.0

Post by Mad Genius »

In the spirit of the Parodies You've Made and Original Comedy Songs threads, I thought a pastiche thread was in order, being since I'm sure there are a fair amount of us who do pastiches, whether they're intended to be humorous or not. (looking at Jace and Nuclear Bubble Wrap, since they're notorious for Beatles-esque pastiches)

As posted in the Comedy Songs thread, here is Real Estate! Real Estate! (Gotta Keep Away From the Real Estate)
http://www.mediafire.com/?0o59um9wqm05a1t#1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As odd as this one is, it's sort of a pastiche of Japanese punk rock to it.

If you have any song pastiches that you'd like to share, post them here.
Last edited by Mad Genius on Thu May 19, 2011 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: Seriously Experimental: Obscurely Original Songs 1.0

Post by TMBJon »

I don't know what Seriously Experimental or Obscurely Original implies about your songs but I don't think either descriptor is accurate.

ETA: As the title of the thread has been changed, the above comment is now irrelevant.
Last edited by TMBJon on Thu May 19, 2011 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Re: Pastiches You've Made 1.0

Post by weirdojace »

Pastiches? Uh let's see...

A lot of my band's "style parodies" wind up sounding totally different from the original intent, so I'm not gonna outright say things like, "This is a style parody of X" because I don't really know if they turned out that way. But, I'll tell you what our inspirations were.

Lesbian was written as a Beatles-esque kinda thing. Like something from the Let It Be/Abbey Road era.

In Space No One Can Hear You Scream was written to sound like The Flaming Lips. Early demos of it even sound very similar to them. But as the song evolved, some of that went away. But the layers of synths may remind you of The Soft Bulletin.
Mad Genius
Obsessed

Post by Mad Genius »

Jace, I love both of your songs. Perhaps when I'm done remixing the rock version of "(I'm No) Competitor", I should post it up here since it sounds an awful lot like a Nuclear Bubble Wrap song.
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

Post by giantlobsterrobot »

Pastiches huh?
I've got a few of those too.

WHAT SHOULD I SCOOBY DOOBY DOO?
It's in the style of the chase songs from Scooby Doo (My brother is doing the Shaggy and Scooby voices.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-wOfhEUApE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BAND GEEK
It's a ska song (with a little high school marching band influence... which I was not in)
Warning: The singing is bad. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqCvz3P7 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

I also did one of 80's action cartoon theme songs/Stan Bush, but it might be offensive because it is about terrorists and such. It's called "Theme to 'The Terrorists (The Animated Series)'" but that's why I'm not posting the link to this one. It's out there on youtube and is findable if one desires to hear it.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

I don't really see the point in making us search for the song ourselves. If the subject matter offends someone, they can just choose not to click the link.

Also, weren't style parodies supposed to be what the Comedy Songs topic was meant to contain in the first place?
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
Mad Genius
Obsessed

Post by Mad Genius »

Not necessarily, JCM. Just because a song sounds like Don Henley meets the Beach Boys meets the Arrogant Worms doesn't mean it'll be a comical song, it only means the instrumentation sounds like someone else might've done it.

The one I have in mind is my Don Henley/Beach Boys/Arrogant Worms pastiche, "Swimmer's Ballad," which not only sounds like Don Henley's End of the Innocense, upon listening to it, but also doesn't have comical lyrics.

Another pastiche of mine I do consider funny is the hard rock version of "(I'm No) Competitor," which is a sappy swimmer's love song, which sounds like an early Nuclear Bubble Wrap song from the mid-to-late 2000's. However, the acoustic version sounds like an Arrogant Worms song.

I'll post these later tonight.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

Yeah, but from what I read, you intend for this topic to have serious and humorous pastiches. I don't see why we can't just put serious pastiches in the unfunny songs topic, like we did for the inverses.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

JCM wrote:Yeah, but from what I read, you intend for this topic to have serious and humorous pastiches. I don't see why we can't just put serious pastiches in the unfunny songs topic, like we did for the inverses.
I was thinking that too. I guess that since all comedy songs aren't pastiches that a category was necessary for it. It's like the record stores making the sections, Rock, Punk-Rock, Hard Rock, Soft Rock, Pop, Pop-Punk, etc. It really is just a way to micro-manage songs.
It's not hurting anything to have a pastiche thread, but it's certainly not necessary either.