"Twenty Six and a Half" - A new Weird Al tribute album

Here you can show your graphics skills or any program made of Weird Al.

Moderator: Moderators

oddaustin
Regular

Re: "Twenty Six and a Half" - A new Weird Al tribute album

Post by oddaustin »

I cannot promise you Madonna or Devo.
RoyalJester

Post by RoyalJester »

I already figured that was probably well beyond your scope. :P

Anyway, glad to hear about Lars. that got me to hurry up and put in my $42, even though I probably would have got something anyway.

I like how the $40-$100 range gets me "any material cut from release" as well., A physical disc is a small bonus (but still nice); this is a big bonus.
I'm guessing this means the tracks that you're given that you decide to not put on the CD.
I'm guessing those "bonus tracks" would be file downloads only.
FYI, FWIW, you can give me a lot of cut-from-release stuff and I'll pick and choose from amongst it myself. Obviously you have to be careful with the selections for the CD, but not quite so much with cut-from-release stuff

Would you be interested in offering FLAC downloads, for both the stuff on the CD and off the CD? Wouldn't hurt to add the option in addition to MP3 and M4A, since I presume this stuff is being done up to CD quality anyways.

Has it been decided yet who's covering what?

The businessman in me wants to know:

"Also, 40% of the sales profits made from this CD will go to the Weird Al Star Fund. (With the remaining going to the artists and producers, and Weird Al's publisher for the use of his songs). This will be made in physical CD form and will also be given an iTunes release."
'Profit' implies 'expenses', and this phrasing implies that pressing/shipping/bandwith/PayPal and iTunes fees/etc are the only things counted as 'expenses' for the purpose of the 40% figure, with musicians and songwriters to be paid out of the 60%.

Did you get 9.1c/song compulsory licenses, or were you lucky enough to work out a better deal?
RoyalJester

Post by RoyalJester »

oddaustin wrote:I cannot promise you Madonna or Devo.
It's a long shot, but I'd say try contacting some big names, and see what comes of it.

I'm reminded of how Interscope licensed No Doubt's "Comforting Lie" to Fat Wreck Chords for the "Rock Against Bush Vol. 2" compilation. (Most of the other tracks were of the indie punk variety that the label is known for.)

Unfortunately, Cobain and Jackson are not available; learning necromancy is *definitely* beyond the scope of this project. ;)
oddaustin
Regular

Post by oddaustin »

RoyalJester wrote:Would you be interested in offering FLAC downloads, for both the stuff on the CD and off the CD? Wouldn't hurt to add the option in addition to MP3 and M4A, since I presume this stuff is being done up to CD quality anyways.

Has it been decided yet who's covering what?

The businessman in me wants to know:

"Also, 40% of the sales profits made from this CD will go to the Weird Al Star Fund. (With the remaining going to the artists and producers, and Weird Al's publisher for the use of his songs). This will be made in physical CD form and will also be given an iTunes release."
'Profit' implies 'expenses', and this phrasing implies that pressing/shipping/bandwith/PayPal and iTunes fees/etc are the only things counted as 'expenses' for the purpose of the 40% figure, with musicians and songwriters to be paid out of the 60%.

Did you get 9.1c/song compulsory licenses, or were you lucky enough to work out a better deal?
We will more than likely be offering the pre-release downloads in MP3 format, since that's just less space consuming and we'll be hosting them on our own websites. The tracks on the CD itself though of course will be of much higher quality. Also, we're making the CD an enhanced disc with the best of the bonus content as well as maybe some other stuff hidden on the disc.

Most every confirmed artist has chosen a song, though that's about the most information I've got from anybody so far. I only have a few songs in my possession.

All the legal stuff is Jace's business, I'm working with the artists. Though based on what I know, Bermuda has given us contact information for Jay Levey so we can work a deal out that way. I'm not quite sure if the donations are going entirely towards production costs or if we're going to take out the costs of a CD from that and disperse it to the artists, we'll have to talk about that.
oddaustin
Regular

Post by oddaustin »

Seriously, people, is there anyone here who is or at least has a friend that's a decent artist/drawer/cartoonist who might want to be apart of the album art for this? Perhaps anybody who's submitted to the fan art page at weirdal.com previously? If anybody knows the person who drew the picture we're using on our KickStarter page, or of somebody who can make something similar, please reply.

For those who don't know what drawing I speak of, here's the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/146 ... bute-album" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoyalJester

Post by RoyalJester »

High bitrate MP3 (256/320?) isn't too bad, but I still thought it was worth asking about the FLACs.

Don't mean to be picky about a general idea that sounds this good. :P

The businessman in me is more curious about accounting/legal than many WOWAYers might be.
oddaustin
Regular

Post by oddaustin »

11 more days to get your pre-pre-order of the CD as well as a bunch of other cool stuff at http://kck.st/9du7da" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oddaustin
Regular

Post by oddaustin »

New update: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/146 ... osts/33780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Find all the other updates here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/146 ... lbum/posts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oddaustin
Regular

Post by oddaustin »

Introducing... the official site. http://www.weirdaltribute.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oddaustin
Regular

Post by oddaustin »

With every original "Weird Al" Yankovic song from Off the Deep End and forward, what tracks would be well polka-fied?