Fan Art And The 2009 Al-fan Gathering

Here you can show your graphics skills or any program made of Weird Al.

Moderator: Moderators

Diva
Addicted

Post by Diva »

Hey folks!
I wasn't in the Army and never heeded the advice "never volunteer for anything", so I volunteered to do a couple of things for the summer 2009 gathering in southern California that Vikki [like I'm 27 again] is organizing this August. I will have a "make it and take it" table for people to make and complete small projects, all supplies there. Full discussion of that can be found over on the convention thread under General Chat. I have two specific requests that I wanted to put out to the Fan Art folks in particular, though:

1. Kristine suggested coloring book pages be available for young kids there, along with crayons etc. I thought that was a truly inspired idea. Now I'm a sculptor and mixed-media artist primarily and can't draw my way out of a paper bag so I need help here. Would any of you who do draw well [Aron, Gianna, et. al.] be interested in doing some outline-type drawings that would work as coloring pages for kids? [The drawings need to have lines so that kids who were like me can be rebelllious and not stay in the lines. :lol: ]

2. There will be a gallery and exhibition of fan art. The details of that exhibition aren't together yet. A lot will depend on where the gathering takes place. Some venues would work well for some types of art but not others, especially more delicate pieces. The transport/shipping back and forth for those not attending in person isn't yet worked out either.

Fan art is a big way that people can be present and connected this summer even if not physically present at the gathering. This aspect of the convention could be truly amazing and span the globe. I'm jazzed.

Cheers, Diva
feel free to PM me also
Wharf Hamster since September 25, 2002
piranha
Addicted

Post by piranha »

I'm sure you meant Ghia, not me. My art isn't nearly as good as theirs.
they/them pronouns please !! (previously: CrazyWeirdAlLady)
Diva
Addicted

Post by Diva »

I did mean Ghia [but not to neglect you either, or anyone else].

Cheers, Diva
In gallbladder-induced haze at the moment [YECCH]
Wharf Hamster since September 25, 2002
weirdalisthephantomoftheopera
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by weirdalisthephantomoftheopera »

Maybe to help raise money, you could have "Al and Me" drawing station where someone (not trying to impose anything on them, don't get me wrong!) could draw a picture of Al and the paying customer. Just an idea.
"Beneath this pillow is the key to my release...I believe she misinterpreted my intentions entirely."

~Meli
crispy-gypsy
Addicted

Post by crispy-gypsy »

I'd be happy to help, sounds like fun! I also really like Meli's idea.
I like kids, I used to be one -Ringo

Not everyone can be a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere.
Kristine
Off The Deep End

Post by Kristine »

I wonder how much it would cost to make one of those cut-out posters where you can stick your head in and you become one of the characters. Maybe we could make that the "Al and Me" thing... all we have to do is put it there- no labor required!

Plywood face with 2x4 frame to hold it up, and the cartoon of Al and a faceless Close Personal Friend painted on the front. Shouldn't be too expensive.
http://www.kristinekreations.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NOW CASTING: Perform This Way, A WOWAY Fan Video
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

It wouldn't even need to be mounted on plywood; foam core, with maybe a frame for holding the shape, would probably work just fine.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
DonnaNoble
Off The Deep End

Post by DonnaNoble »

We could also make a life size cardboard cut out of Al (I call dibs :P) and then we wouldn't have to worry about what the other person in the cutout would look like... just a thought.... (might be slightly easier)
Oh snap!
Aron
Obsessed

Post by Aron »

I wish I had a long-arm stapler, because I could put together little sketchbooks (collections of artwork). They're a popular hand-out at conventions and such.
Aron-- Only the second accordionist to ever sit in the trunk of Torsoboy's DeLorean. Al was the first.
-- Visit my art blog at http://aronjshay.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

Could I be involved? I am a little confused. :)
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect