Iriff For Woway

Here you can show your graphics skills or any program made of Weird Al.

Moderator: Moderators

Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Think you're funny? Think you're a clown sent to amuse us?

Certainly, you've heard of iRiff by now.

What??? You haven't? Well, you know what a RiffTrax is, right? I mean Al did one, for crying out loud....fine, I'll give you time to catch up.

Oh, ok....you're back. Good, let's continue.

In conjunction with WOWAY's upcoming 7th anniversary (Oct. 31), some of the big shots here on WOWAY (Including yours truly) are planning a Team WOWAY iRiff of an Al related movie. And here's the fun part....you get a chance to join in.

Here's the deal: For a couple weeks, we'll plan this out: What movie we're gonna do, etc. Then when that's all settled, go write your scripts, it's as simple as that. Deadline for script and art (keep reading for art details) entries is October 31st . Our judges will pick the best riffs, our lovely panel will record the whole shebang, it'll be uploaded to the Rifftrax site, and the profits, if we're lucky, will go to WOWAY!

Dingo, you're saying, why would we want to do this? Well I don't know...perhaps for a cool prize for Best Riffer (Selected by the judges), and the artist who provides the best "teaser" graphics.....that do anything for ya? Plus, who doesn't want to help out the forum? This place rocks!

So what movie will we be doing? Well, it can't be UHF (Or any of the movies Al's had a cameo in). Comedies are notoriusly hard to riff.

Due to the size of this project, we've already narrowed down which movie will be used....stay tuned for the reveal!

I'll hand it off to my buddy Ryan, who has some further details. Stay tuned for rules (Don't want to make this post too big)
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
The Doctor
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by The Doctor »

Image :ph34r:

That is all.
Silence will fall.
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

Ladies and gentlemen, it's time to show the world how funny Weird Al fans really are. Dingo explained the premise, now I'll give you the details. There is going to be a massive amount of content submitted for the contest and to expedite editing and recording, please follow a few simple rules that will keep everything in check.

The premise is simple. You write the scripts, send me the scripts, I pick the funniest jokes from all of them, and we record a custom RiffTrax using your comedy! This time, the riffers will be myself, the talented Weirdo Jace, and Crow T. Rob--oh, um, apparently we have a third spot open. We'll be holding auditions for a third riffer soon, so if you're interested, keep your eye on the topic and you may have the chance to join Jace and I.

1. We will be using Riff Raff Theater's riff script template. I've found, as one of the writers of RiffTrax's Batman & Robin riff, that it works well and there's no reason to mess with something that already works. So please download the riff writing template here.

The template explains a lot of the rules of writing. Just make sure to follow them exactly. Time MUST be written as H:MM:SS (no HH:MM:SS, no H:MM:SS:msms, no H.MM.SS). Follow the example EXACTLY and it will be easy to compile into one large script at the end. In the second column, write an on-screen prompt or cue that the riffers can look out for so we have a bit more than a timecode to work with. This can be anything from an action happening on screen to the line of dialogue just spoken. In the third column, write the riff. If it is an immitation or a faux line of movie dialogue spoken in character, write in parenthesis (As Ash) or (As Max Headroom). You get it, right? When writing riffs meant to be delivered by multiple riffers, write as Riffer 1: "Riff" Riffer 2: "Riff"...

I prefer writing on the computer using my computer's DVD player to play the movie. Any DVD player on the computer (I use PowerDVD) should be able to show you the timecode at any time. Remember, you need the timecode down to the second.

2. You'll need to use the NTSC release of the film. That is the North American release for those of you not in the know. The reason behind this is that the timecode would be different on PAL versions and therefore would not sync up when we try to compile the scripts. I'm sorry. If there are international members who can't play NTSC DVDs somehow, PM me and we may be able to work something out on a one-on-one basis.

3. You can submit family-unfriendly riffs, but they won't be used. The general rule that RiffTrax goes by is they try to keep the content of the Trax on par with the content in the movie. Your jokes may be slightly censored for the final release. Feel free to some blue humor or innuendo, just don't expect to hear a lot of your explicit riffs make the mix.

4. When finished writing the riff, e-mail me your script at [email protected] and I'll compile what I think is the funniest script.

5. Honestly judge how much time you have to dedicate to this. If you only plan on riffing about 20 minutes of the movie because your schedule looks busy for the next few months, start an hour in or a half an hour in. We're going to have A LOT of riffs for the first half an hour of the movie, as everyone seems to start there. It also helps eliminate dead points if you write at points that may not be as popular as other points.

If you need some help getting the mental juices flowing, watch some riffs! It gets you looking for the right thing. Go to YouTube and type in MST3K, watch some of the free samples at ICWXP (may I suggest The Talking Car), or watch some RiffTrax! You'll be up and riffing in no time at all! Good luck, everyone! If you have ANY questions about the process, drop me a PM or an e-mail at [email protected]
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.

Post by Teh Dingo »

I have some general rules to follow for the riffing.

1. Keep riffs g to the sorta clean "edge" of PG-13 (The ass and boob region :P ). Not just because we want to keep this as family friendly as Al and the forum, but because unless your name is George Carlin or Richard Pryor, and to a lesser extent, Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy, swearing to be funny isn't all that funny (Andrew Dice Clay says hello). Avoid that crutch and use actual jokes!

2. Try to avoid too many Al jokes. We may find "I found a 27!" 27 times in a row funny, but remember, we want others to like the project, and give us high ratings...they're not gonna get a lot of these inside jokes.

3. Be original. Don't just repeat catchphrases you heard on MST3K or the like.

4. Don't be offended if only a few or none of your riffs are used. This isn't a popularity contest. We're picking the best of the best lines here, and we want this to be as funny as possible. Remember, the higher the rating, the more we score! :)
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.

Post by Teh Dingo »

Official movie announcement at 10pm est. I can tell you're all waiting with baited breath.

EDIT: Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay....looks like it's already been announced :lol:

Yes, it is indeed Pokemon 2000, featuring Al's immortal classic, Nobody Here But Us Pokemon!

Oh.....I mean, Polkamon :)

This is a perfect riffing oppurtunity. Not only will you young 'uns not have to worry about getting your hands on a FORBIDDEN movie, but it's just obscure enough to where there won't be a 1,000 other iRiffs for the same movie and we won't have to worry about getting lost in the shuffle.
Deliriously Dedicated

We will be riffing the short before the movie as well as the film itself.

Bring on the funny!
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
Deliriously Dedicated

Hamsters, sorry.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Hey, so I just sat down the start writing my script and realized that the time code resets itself after the short. Should we just start over again when the movie begins?
And Peggy
Deliriously Dedicated

Reminder: you have just under 2 weeks to submit your script! Do your best to have everything done by October 31st!

(PM me if you need any special accommodations. We can work something out)
Deliriously Dedicated

Tomorrow is the last day to get scripts in! Send what you have and we'll get this production rolling!