A Birthday Present For Al

Here you can show your graphics skills or any program made of Weird Al.

Moderator: Moderators

KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

I was thinking that for Al's birthday we could all submit general Birthday wishes, fan art, poetry, or maybe even photos or anecdotes of when you met him and then I'd get them all put together in a book and send it to him.

I'd be willing to collect the submissions and put them into a book, so all everyone has to do is send me their submission via email. I think email would be best, since Al reads the forum.

Let me know what you think of the idea/if you think it's stupid :ph34r:

Birthday Book Project

What to send:
- general birthday messages
- story of when you met Al (maximum of 1 A4 page)
- drawings/artwork
- poems
- anything else you can think of

I know some WOWAYer's have some touching stories of how Al's music has helped them through some tough times, and you can submit those too. These can be as longer than 1 A4 page if they need to be.

Also, as I mentioned in a later post, it would be cool if people could send a photo of themselves with Al, or just of themselves, to put a face to the message

And I don't think it even needs mentioning, but I will anyway. Keep the messages clean 8)

Send your stuff to [email protected] , with your real name and/or WOWAY username and location, before September 27, and PM me if you need/want to snail mail stuff :)
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
weirdal56206
Addicted

Post by weirdal56206 »

i think that sound like a great idea ;) :Y :clap:
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

I think it's an excellent idea, and Al would absolutely love it! When do you think we should get the collective stuff in by?

(Wish I thought of it... *grumble grumble* <_< :P)
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
BigWeirdAlFan

Post by BigWeirdAlFan »

I think this is a terrific idea!!!
weirdalisthephantomoftheopera
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by weirdalisthephantomoftheopera »

This is a fantastic idea! Its always great to organize something together and not just have every individual throw a card at Al, though I don't think we'd throw it anyway...

My question is how we're going to get it to Al. The last concert listed is at the Greek Theater, which I'm going to and I have passes, but its 3 days before his birthday and I'm not sure if you want to send it out personally or whatever.
"Beneath this pillow is the key to my release...I believe she misinterpreted my intentions entirely."

~Meli
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

I could just send it out personally, I don't mind.

As for when people should start sending stuff in, I don't know....maybe the deadline could be September 27th? That would give me just less than a month to put the thing together and send it out, which should be fine. And that will give people plenty of time to think about what they want to write/dig up photos/draw something cool, etc
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
The Lilac Pilgrim
Addicted

Post by The Lilac Pilgrim »

That's a great idea! I'll need to think of something to do...
"We're going to the beach to ride a camel on the sun." ~ Irwin Sparkes (I did a search on my signature because I can't remember where it comes from, other than Irwin Sparkes. These forums are the third result. This is my legacy, friends.)
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

I think it might be a good idea to come up with some form of guidelines for this thing. The one that just popped into my head is, if you're going to write about meeting Al, keep it short. I'm not going to put a word limit on it or anything, but be sensible, like just the actual meeting Al part and not the hours leading up to it :P And the more photos we have of fans with Al the better I think
BigWeirdAlFan

Post by BigWeirdAlFan »

How do we get the item(s) to you? Snail mail or what?

EDIT: How about the ones of us that never got to meet Al and don't have a meeting pic? Just include a pic of ourselves with a message?
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

BigWeirdAlFan @ Sep 5 2007, 06:57 AM wrote: How do we get the item(s) to you? Snail mail or what?

EDIT: How about the ones of us that never got to meet Al and don't have a meeting pic? Just include a pic of ourselves with a message?
That is a very good idea! If everyone who can could send a photo of themselves with Al, and those that can't just send a photo of themselves, that way Al has a face to put with the message, which would be really cool!

For photos and artwork, the easiest way would be to scan them and send the via email, as snail mail could take a while to get to my end of the world.

ETA: if it's really impossible to scan and email (or you'd just prefer to send hard copies), and you don't mind spending however much it costs to mail a letter and photo to Australia, then PM me and we'll sort it out, but it will mean that you'd have to get it together and sent pretty soon.