Al in a computer app??

Here you can show your graphics skills or any program made of Weird Al.

Moderator: Moderators

Weird Dane

Al in a computer app??

Post by Weird Dane »

Hi fellow Al fans,

I've just joined this forum. Great place! The situation is, that I'm a computer application developer (or programmer, whatever). And I thought that I could, as my humble tribute to Al, include him in my latest project. It's an instant messenger like MSN. In this app there is a screen where you can change your nickname, and I thought that when people write "weird al" or "yankovic" a small picture of Al could pop up. :biggrin: But I don't want to infrige with his copyrights. Do you think it will be ok if I grab a picture from his site and included it? (I've made some screenshots. Notice what's written in the textbox)

Best regards,

Martin Wiboe

haroldwaide
Regular

Post by haroldwaide »

If Al or his management team gave you the ok then I'd definitely agree with it. However, without that you're infringing on a bunch of legal terms that lawyers like to throw around to look intelligent.

Harold
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Re: Al in a computer app??

Post by scottidog »

Do you think it will be ok if I grab a picture from his site and included it?

I'd contact Bermuda and ask for permission. I'm guessing the answer will be no, but perhaps not.

Welcome aboard.

I'm moving this to Polls and Games.
Weird Dane

Re: Al in a computer app??

Post by Weird Dane »

Do you think it will be ok if I grab a picture from his site and included it?
I'd contact Bermuda and ask for permission. I'm guessing the answer will be no, but perhaps not.

Welcome aboard.

I'm moving this to Polls and Games.

Thank you! Nice being here, this forum is great!

Best regards,

Martin Wiboe

Edit: Btw. I can mention weirdal.com and a copyright notice in the app if you want me to?
alexina
Addicted

Post by alexina »

Hmmm.

It seems to me that if this is an extra-secret special feature -- one that you will not be advertising with the product, nor listing as one of its features, and therefore will not be making any money as a direct result of this -- I *think* it'd be okay. I'm not an expert on copyright law, but think your intended use of Al's name and image could fall under fair use, as long as you'd not be profiting from it.

One caveat, however: it also depends on where you got the photo of him. If it's a copyrighted photo you've taken from his web site, that's a no-no anyway; but if it's a photo you took yourself, or that you got the approval of whomever took it, then I don't think that would be a problem.

You could make it even sneakier, like for it to only work that way if they enter "weird al" spelled backwards or something like that...

:-) Good luck!

Alexina
Weird Dane

Post by Weird Dane »

Hi,

Actually this chat application will be freeware, and I won't be advertising with a (secret) feature. I checked weirdal.com and I didn't find a copyright notice. So it looks pretty harmless, but I don't want to upset anyone as this is not an important "feature" but rather some hidden easter egg dedicated to Al and his great music. I will wait for the answer from Bermuda to be sure that I don't step on anyones toes :D

Thank you very much for your reply!

Best regards,

Martin Wiboe
alexina
Addicted

Post by alexina »

Easter eggs are the best. :-) One of my favorite pastimes is hunting for the easter eggs on homestarrunner. Too much fun!

I would classify an easter egg in a freeware ap as definitely falling under "homage to Al" rather than "infringement on the copyright of Al's image." Too bad I'm not a judge, huh? ;)
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I checked weirdal.com and I didn't find a copyright notice. So it looks pretty harmless, but I don't want to upset anyone as this is not an important "feature" but rather some hidden easter egg dedicated to Al and his great music. I will wait for the answer from Bermuda to be sure that I don't step on anyones toes

Waiting for an answer from Bermuda is the best way to go. And never fear... Jon does answer his email.
autrefois
Die-hard Fan

Post by autrefois »

Hi,

Actually this chat application will be freeware, and I won't be advertising with a (secret) feature. I checked weirdal.com and I didn't find a copyright notice. So it looks pretty harmless, but I don't want to upset anyone as this is not an important "feature" but rather some hidden easter egg dedicated to Al and his great music. I will wait for the answer from Bermuda to be sure that I don't step on anyones toes :D
Thank you very much for your reply!

Best regards,

Martin Wiboe

Hopefully you were able to get things worked out!

Just one other quick note: under copyright law, as I understand it at least, the copyright owner doesn't have to list that something is copyrighted in order for it to be covered by copyright. I found that out when I was looking for information about copyrighting songs. Usually copyrighted material will mention somewhere that it is copyrighted in order to "warn" people not to use it without permission, but it is not required to be there. The same applies to other media too, not just songs. So even if it doesn't say anywhere that the images, text, etc. on a site are copyrighted, it is safer to assume that they are and get permission in general.
Miss Janine
Obsessed

Post by Miss Janine »

Yeah. Best way to go is ask Bermuda or Al.
Hmmm...something's gone horribly awry here...
Al Team 2772!
RIP Bela