Polka Party - What Went Wrong?

Place your polls here! And if you know a nice Weird Al game, go play it here!

Moderator: Moderators

What happened?

Album was rushed
57%
Al was overexposed by that point
7%
Living With a Hernia wasn't the best choice for a lead single
14%
1985-86 didn't provide great songs to parody
No votes
Only 10 songs
No votes
Christmas at Ground Zero controversy
No votes
The title and artwork
21%

Total votes: 14

Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Re: Polka Party - What Went Wrong?

Post by Mystik Tomato »

It was rushed at least partially because he was overexposed at that point. Hernia was a crappy choice for a lead single, but nothing else on the album would fit as a potential lead single. Considering the parodies on the album, it doesn't seem like it was a good year for music in general. It's like Alapalooza -- The original songs are the best part of the album because all the great parodies were either already done on the previous album and nothing great had come out yet.

I'm not sure that the cover and such would've turned away people that much, though. People buying Alpocalypse wouldn't be expecting nothing but heavy metal. The albums are promoted by their songs, and this just had a bad choice for that.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I wasnt aware of a CaGZ controversy in 1985. People didnt assosciate Ground Zero with NYC until 2001, before that it was mostly referred to as a site for nuclear detonation. Now you hear it, and 9/11 is all you think of. But I think pretty much every other option contributed. The lead single was at best a third parody track. I feel he shouldve gone with DED as a lead single, its a much better song than anything on the album.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I wasn't aware anything was wrong with this album. May not be as good as his other albums but its still wicked in my books. In that repect I miss the point of the thread. I wish they could have done Dog Eat Dog or at least Spuds or any medley snippet for the Alpocalypse Tour DVDand tour itself...but whatever...anyways I will always be a huge fan of this record!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Yankomaniac wrote:I wasn't aware anything was wrong with this album. May not be as good as his other albums but its still wicked in my books. In that repect I miss the point of the thread.
Commercially, it kind of flopped. It briefly but barely hit the Billboard 200 and as of a few years ago at least, it still hadn't gone gold.
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

I don't see how it being rushed would affect the sales. Hernia or the title/art make the most sense.
Insomnia
Occasional

Post by Insomnia »

I feel the album WAS rushed and the parodies just don't feel as high quality as the previous ones do. Not to mention all the songs are very short, not to say that is a bad thing but it further proves that maybe this was in fact rushed a bit. A lot of the songs just feel like there should have been more to them not just length wise but comedy wise as well.
CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Post by CharlesNelson »

I voted for LWAH as the lead parody, but really, I'd choose an "All of the Above Except CAGZ Controversy" if that had been an option. All of them really factored in at least a little bit.
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!