Whatever You Like Live

Place your polls here! And if you know a nice Weird Al game, go play it here!

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

How would you like to see Al's latest song, Whatever You Like, performed in concert the next time Al tours?

Please feel free to leave your reasons or debate the topic in the thread below.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I say it should go in the medley, for the following reasons. First of all [CENSORED - APPARENTLY IT'S NOT APPRECIATED AROUND HERE TO GIVE REASONS FOR AN OPINION OR TO PARTICIPATE INTELLIGENTLY IN A DEBATE, SO THEREFORE I SHALL HAVE TO REMOVE MY REASONED, LOGICAL EXPLANATION OF MY OPINION AND REPLACE IT WITH A COMPLETELY SMART-ASS RANT ABOUT SELF-CENSORING OF OPINIONS.]

So, basically that's why.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Who's objecting?
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

A handful of people, mainly in other threads though. :ph34r:

But at the risk of being yelled at for voicing my opinion in an intelligent manner, the reason I think the song belongs in the medley is two-fold:

1) The song isn't really good enough to sustain a whole performance, especially since there's not much you could add to the song VISUALLY and it'd likely be another rap performance where Al walks back and forth on the stage while he performs it.

2) By the time the album comes out, I'm sure Al will have at least a few parodies that are much better and obviously much more current, which will mean that WYL will likely be placed in the second half of the album, a spot usually saved for lesser quality parodies and those parodies that don't make for strong performances. (I know there are exceptions to that, please ignore the urge to obnoxiously point them out.)

Now, watch me get flamed!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

For the record, totally with you on both points which is why I voted for medley. Pretty much the exact same reasons.

Curious to see if anyone would like to make a case for full performance though...
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

I'd think Whatever You Like would be awkward in the medley, but I could be wrong. I did come up with some interesting concepts for a live performance of that song, including wardrobe and activities during performance, but they obviously aren't Al's.

I'm not sure though. Perhaps it would be better suited in the medley, I'm just getting sick of rap/R&B altogether... perhaps with a couple of exceptions. However I wouldn't mind a full-time performance, I think it'd be very funny.

I'll have to think about this one.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I have no objections to you expressing your opinion, Jeremy. I hastily voted for the full performance, without really thinking that maybe you're right. But, OneWAY *gotta love that screename* brings up a good point, too. Maybe Al could come up with something to make a full performance worth a try.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I voted for "in the medley," for the same reasons stated in Jeremy's reason 2 he posted above.
And Peggy
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Looks like most people agree with Jeremy here -- even me.

The whole song has a few weak lines. If it were in the Medley, Al could just sing the strong parts. Namely the "bus" verse.
This means something. This is important.
BabyBoolie27
Obsessed

Post by BabyBoolie27 »

I would love to see what Al could do with the costume and performance with this one. There are a lot of different possibilites that he could play with here. But realistically with the mixed reviews that he has gotten from this one he would probably more than likely put it in the medley. Al has admitted to being a people pleaser and some like it some don't so just a snippet of it in the medley would satisfy most folk!

And I agree with Bruce the Duck that this one will more than likely trickle down to the middle of the album and make way for the stronger pieces that Al is likely to come up with! :)
I like all animals...well except for monkeys, because they climb all over your face and slap you!