Best Use Of Accordion

Place your polls here! And if you know a nice Weird Al game, go play it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Before you start flaming me, I intentionally left off the polkas and the first album stuff.

Before In 3-D, Al used accordion in most of his songs. Starting with his second album, he dropped the accordion schtick and confined the instrument to polka medleys. But every once in a while, more often since HN, he throws some accordion into his originals and parodies. This poll is to vote for his best use of accordion in a NON-POLKA, NON-DEBUT-ALBUM, song.

1. "Lasagna" - It's interesting to me that all it takes is a bad Italian accent and an accordion to make a traditional Latin American song sound Italian. While it's a great song, it left many fans saying, "Well, that's nice, but where's the polka medley?"

2. "Peter and the Wolf" - The theme music for Bob the Janitor represents the ONLY time in Al's work that the accordion makes the joke all by itself. Although very funny, the tiny accordion ditty is not really a song.

3. "Headline News" - To celebrate a milestone, the release of the boxed set, Al ended this song with a parade of many of the classic elements from early Al songs, including accordion. After listening to 4 CDs of songs I had already known well, the first time I heard HN, it game me goose bumps.

4. "Everything You Know Is Wrong" - This is probably my number 2 pick! This is an excellent, if too brief accordion solo.

5. "Syndicated Inc." - WORST PARODY EVER! But I can't blame the accordion for that. In fact the generous addition of the accordion solo is the only thing that makes this sub-standard parody palatable.

6. "Polkamon" - Yes, I know it's a polka, but since it's an original and not a polka medley, I included it here. Great song, but not quite as good as my #1 pick.

7. "Ode To A Superhero" - It took me a few listens to realize that Billy's wonderful harmonica solo had been replaced with Al's equally wonderful accordion solo. The original already contained some accordion, so this was an obvious choice. Al's main squeeze sounds much more comfortable here than with Syndicated Yuck.

8. "Genius In France" - What? There's accordion in that song? Yup! Although, with everything else going on in the song, it's easy to miss. But still a wonderful use of the song.

9. "My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder" - This, to me, is the best use of accordion. The song focuses on the accordion moreso than any other Al song, including the polkas.

What do you guys think?
yo
Die-hard Fan

Post by yo »

I think Everything You Know Is Wrong has an AWESOME accordion solo! Definitely my pick!
?
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

The Angry White Boy Polka and The Hot Rocks Polka both had some excellent accordian work, too!
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WEIRDALexis279
Off The Deep End

Post by WEIRDALexis279 »

My baby's In love with Eddie Vedder. The song basically features the accordion!
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

I did Eddie Vedder, although I love the end of Headline News.
Work, is play. Tofutti break today.

Secrets...of...the Universe.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Didn't we have a topic like this? I don't think it was a poll, though.

La la la la la sagna. Followed closely by Eddie Vedder.
Manda
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Manda »

I said My Baby's in love with Eddie Vedder. It has good accordion. But I voted for it mainly because I like the way he performs it on WAY Live. :)
Al team # 2836
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I'm not going to actually VOTE in this poll because I'm reading the forum with the "posts since last visit" feature, and the "please wait while we transfer you" bit when you vote in a poll screws up the process of back-spacing my way back to the searched list of new posts. Anyway...

I'm going to vote for "Eddie Vedder" because it's not only great accordion, but a lot of accordion. That song always gets me bopping happily around the room (a little inconvenient when the "room" is the front seat of the car, but fandom does have its hardships). But I have to say that the accordion bit in "Everything You Know Is Wrong" is really wonderful.

But then Al's accordion solos always leave me wishing he'd do 'em more often.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
MarlinsGirl
Obsessed
Awards: Best Fan Artist (PhotoShopped Material)-WOWAY Awards 4.0

Post by MarlinsGirl »

Manda @ Jan 24 2004, 02:11 PM wrote: I said My Baby's in love with Eddie Vedder. It has good accordion. But I voted for it mainly because I like the way he performs it on WAY Live. :)
I'm glad i'm not the only one who likes MBILWEV live. :biggrin: I also voted for MBILWEV.

Terri M.
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

Since I love it so much, I went with GIF. It made the "I'm the chicest of the chic" sound very French.

BTW, wasn't there some accordion playing in Melanie?
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;