UHF DVD

Place your polls here! And if you know a nice Weird Al game, go play it here!

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Ok, this is kind of a test poll to see if each vote isn't 100% or anything, and I'm also curious.

Do you watch UHF with or without commentary for the most part, or both about equally?

I voted Both about the same. It's one of those movies that I frequently show to guests, and if they've never seen it before, I show it without commentary so they realize that this is the greatest movie of all time. But whenever I watch it alone, I usually have the commentary on.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Well, since the DVD came out, I've watched the movie twice with and twice without commentary. But I've seen the movie many times before the DVD came out and that, of course, was always without commentary. But since you're talking about the DVD, I voted for choice #3.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

After watching the movie once when I got it, I pretty much exclusivly watch it with commentary now.

And the only reason I watched it the first time was because I'd never seen it without cable edits.

But I'm familliar with the movie enough.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

While we're on the subject, I have a couple questions about the UHF commentary:

1) Why was Michael Richards only in part of the commentary? Was he supposed to only comment on that particular section or did he just show up whenever he wanted to?

2) Is it me, or did Al seem really annoyed by Jay Levey's (how shall I put this nicely?)...lack of input during the commentary? Example: "So, how you doing over there, Jay?"
SmileyGirl87
Off The Deep End

Post by SmileyGirl87 »

I am OBSESSED with the commentary.....now,anyway!!

Well, when I first got the UHF DVD, which was all of 4 months ago, I had never seen it in its entirety before. I saw tiny snippets on Comedy Central in 99 I would guess, and remember laughing hysterically at the opening Indiana Jones sequence(I was in an especially punchy mood that day too, if I recall correctly) and I didn't see the whole thing. When I got the DVD, I probably watched it 20 times w/o commentary to get the plot (haha!) and everything down pretty well and catch most of the gags...

But after that I've watched the commentary pretty consistantly every time since. It is without a doubt the funniest and most interesting commentary on any DVD that I own (not that that is a surprise!) Al is so funny and JAY has some of his best lines ever...

"That's FUNNY!"

"Al...would you get me a donut?"

"This is the part that makes me so happy...awww..im so happy when I watch this..."

and the indomitable Michael Richards...

"I saw a phenomenal opportunity to get zany! You gave me my break, man!"
Al-"Oh!"

(Al's laugh after that is too funny...)

and of course..."Cartridge and all!" where Al laughs so hard he sounds like he's getting laryngitis....

:inlove:

I love my commentary...although it will always bother me that Vicki Jackson never finished that one story...doesn't that bother anyone else??

~*Cat*~
^(well, it bothers me!)
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Victoria Jackson strikes me as an extremely flaky person. You gotta love her attempt at quoting "One More Minute" on the behind the scenes segment!
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

[quote=""Bruce The Duck""]
1) Why was Michael Richards only in part of the commentary?  Was he supposed to only comment on that particular section or did he just show up whenever he wanted to? 
[/quote]

Maybe this should go in the overanalyzing UHF topic, but whoever's decision it was to have Michael come in at that point of the movie picked a terrible time as far as the story line went. I think he was on screen maybe once or twice briefly during the entire time he was there.

[quote=""Bruce The Duck""]
2) Is it me, or did Al seem really annoyed by Jay Levey's (how shall I put this nicely?)...lack of input during the commentary?  Example: "So, how you doing over there, Jay?"
[/quote]

Yeah, after a while it was almost like, "Hey Jay, why are you still here?" I don't know if it's fans that insist commentaries include the directors, or the company releasing the DVD who insists it, or both, but somebody needs to realize it's only interesteing when the director actually has something valuable to add.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

Sometimes I almost forgot Jay was part of the commentary. He speaks again, "Hey! He's alive! Wow."

Even when I play the movie w/o commentary, I still hear it in my head.

-CindyBob
"Mr. Kim, we're Starfleet officers. Weird is just part of the job." -Captain Janeway
weirdallie27
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdallie27 »

Hehe. The commentary is great. My favorite part is the beginning, though. "Orion....Orion is bankrupt now." :lol:

~Allison
Alfie
09/13/96 - 07/11/08
Rest well, my sweet prince
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I watch it more often with the commentary. I enjoy hearing Al talk about all the places, and how he remembers addresses and stuff. That's pretty cool. I love the little Orion song at the beginning, too! I have only seen one other Orion picture, and that would be Robocop. I like to sing that little song then, too. Just isn't the same without it! SG, "Cartridge and all"? Did I miss something? Where does he say that? *Ok, it's been a while since I watched UHF.* Sue me. hehe!

Patti

:baa:

Hi, BTD! hehe
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325