Most Shocking/Surprising Event of Al's Career

Place your polls here! And if you know a nice Weird Al game, go play it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Most Shocking/Surprising Event of Al's Career

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Which of these events in the career of "Weird Al" Yankovic do you think was the most shocking or surprising?

1. Al wins a Grammy

2. Al stars in his first feature film

3. Al is nominated in the best male vocal performance on MTV

4. Coolio claims he didn't give permission for parody

5. Al gets his own TV show/Al's TV show is cancelled

6 Al loses the glasses and mustache

7. Al ges married and has a baby (yes, I realize that this is not really part of his career, but it was very surprising that it all happened so fast)

8. Billy Joel gives permission for a parody

9. Eminem refuses permission for video of Couch Potato

These are all of the major events I can think of!

Jeremy
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

as far as surprising, the glasses and moustache i think no one saw coming for miles!
rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

Definately the new look. No one ever would have suspected that. Here is my breakdown:

1. Getting married and having a child is shocking, but we all knew it would happen.

2. A grammy and a movie wasn't a big shock, especialy in the 80's. Other awards seemed probable as well. A TV show was just as inevitable.

3.As for Coolio and Em, its not surprising that in a 20 year carrer he managed to have a few arguments.

But the new look, who would have thought it. I wish he would have never changed. He looks to....normal. The old look was fun and wacky! I wish I had been a fan before he changed so I could appreciate it in concert. Oh well.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Al is nominated for best male vocal perfomance on MTV? Not shocking, but when did this happen? What performance. Did he win???
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

for Smells Like Nirvana and i know he was up against Springsteen but i forget who won. not al tho
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

That makes the autograph on the Springsteen cover even better.

I became a fan much too late....
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

QUOTE Al is nominated for best male vocal perfomance on MTV?  Not shocking, but when did this happen?  What performance.  Did he win???

In 1992, he was nominated for best male vocal performance for Smells Like Nirvana. The real shocker of it was that he was up against some pretty heavy hitters in music at the time: Springstein, Eric Clapton, John Melloncamp, and some others that I can't remember at the moment. I was watching Al's appearance on "Hangin' With MTV" when the announcement was made of his nomination. I (and Al judging by his expression) were completely blown away! Of course, my reaction then was nothing compared to the shock of seeing him with no glasses and a goatee during the AMA performance in 1998.

Jeremy
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

No. Clapton won. And I believe besides Springsteen and Clapton, he was up against Tom Petty and John Mellencamp. And on top of that, it was Clapton's song "Tears in Heaven", which is probably the biggest tear jerker ever. Nice company to place Al in, MTV, but there was no way he'd win.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

God how I miss that look. :( Even my Yoshi can't cheer me up now.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

QUOTE .  

But the new look, who would have thought it. I wish he would have never changed. He looks to....normal. The old look was fun and wacky! I wish I had been a fan before he changed so I could appreciate it in concert. Oh well.

If you want to see at least part of an Al concert with his old look, try to get a hold of a copy of the Disney Channel special, "There's No Going Home." This features several great performances. However, personally, I don't think that the missing glasses and mustache have really impacted the concert experience at all. Also, if memory serves most of the songs performed on "There's No Going Home" are also performed on "Weird Al Yankovic Live!"