The Weird Al Game of Things

Place your polls here! And if you know a nice Weird Al game, go play it here!

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

The Weird Al Game of Things

Post by anthontherun »

I was thinking of doing this as a Survivor challenge, but I thought, what the heck, it seems like it could be a fun regular WOWAY game. If you've never played The Game of Things, it's similar to Cards Against Humanity, except the players create their own answers, and the scoring is more objective. In each round, one person selects a card (think "Things you would never say to your wife"), and each player writes an answer--it can be as serious or funny, and as family-friendly or obscene as the group wants. Then you pass your answer to the person who selected the card that round, that person reads each response, and the other players take turns guessing who wrote each answer. If you guess right, you keep guessing; if you're wrong, it moves on to the next person. You get a point for each correct match, and whoever first reaches a pre-determined number of points wins (or whoever has the most points after a pre-determined number of questions).

Now, doing it online would require altering the format a bit--having one designated host for each game, rather than alternating each turn--but I think it's possible. However, I think it's critical for maximum mandatory fun that it still be played live (otherwise it would take forever). What I'm thinking is, if there's interest, I'll post a list of topics and have the players PM me their responses in advance. Then we all come together to play live in this thread. I figure the first time we play I'd cap it at five people, just so we have an idea of how long it takes, and then if we decide to do it again, we can adjust in either direction if we have to. And it's a fluid thing, so anyone who wants to host at any point can step in and crack out a game. (Well, I mean, once the current game is over.)

The topics themselves would have at least somewhat of an Al connection, so the players' answers wouldn't necessarily need to be Al-related (although they could be). So for instance, if one of the topics was "Places where Harvey the Wonder Hamster doesn't belong," you could answer "a pet store" or "the Bronx Zoo" or "any WOWAY topic besides Ask Harvey"...or you could take it in another direction, though maybe we should try to keep it PG-13. :F

Sound fun? Would anyone be interested in a game maybe this Friday night?
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: The Weird Al Game of Things

Post by Big Spoon »

I'd love to play this, sounds like it would be a blast.

Can't do Friday, however, as I'll be seeing Star Wars that night, but count me in for the next one!
And Peggy
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

anthontherun wrote:In each round, one person selects a card (think "Things you would never say to your wife")
This is not a Cards Against Humanity type card, just a bad Scenes From a Hat suggestion. :rolleyes:

Sounds fun, though, and similar to Adrian's IRL Al-themed Cards Against Humanity, which we might have to adapt to fit WOWAY if this game works out. $$$
I'd be interested in a Friday night game depending on how late it goes. I do have work at 4:30am Mountain Time Saturday morning, and I want to see Sisters, but maybe I'll wait on seeing it until all the Star Wars geeks have dispersed. :wacko:

Anyway, cool. I'm interested. :bigups:
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

yankochick38 wrote:
anthontherun wrote:In each round, one person selects a card (think "Things you would never say to your wife")
This is not a Cards Against Humanity type card, just a bad Scenes From a Hat suggestion. :rolleyes:
Yeah, it's not the best comparison as far as the content, but the gameplay is fairly similar.

Doesn't look like we'll quite have enough people for a Friday game at this point, but I'm still hoping we can pull it off maybe next week! Anyone who's interested, what days and times would work best for you? (I can't do this coming Monday)

(And if Cards Against Humanity happens on WOWAY, count me in!)