Guess The Polka Contest 2014

Place your polls here! And if you know a nice Weird Al game, go play it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: Guess The Polka Contest 2014

Post by Killingsworth »

TMBJon wrote:Do we only get points if we correctly guess the number spot where the song appears in the medley? Like if I had the order exactly right, except there was an additional first song that I didn't predict, would I get no order points?
Additionally, will we get points if there are 13 or 15 songs in the medley, but we correctly identify the closer?
Yeah. You don't have to get the entire order of the polka right to get bonus points. You just get 25 bonus points for each individual song for which you correctly guess the order. If you guess a song correctly but not in the exact order it appears in, you still get points, just not bonus points.

You can actually guess as many songs as you want and just get points for the ones you did guess correctly. The 14 thing isn't necessarily a hard fast, set in stone rule. I just picked that number partly because I counted 14 songs being in Polka Face (not counting "Liechtenstiener" and "Tick Tock" polka numbers) and partly because...well, it's the 14th album.

I liked Meadows order points idea from the first game (guess the parodies) so I decided to incorporate it into this one. I thought that was pretty clear.

Also, to the guy who posted his "mock polka draft" in the speculation thread: this would be a great place to repost it!
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

The problem with order points for this vs. the parodies is that we know how many parodies there are. In my polka order, it's important that "Call Me Maybe" is last, not that's it's #14. Does that make sense?

My solution: Scoring should be done not on the exact position of the song, but in an inside-out manner. Once we know how many songs are in the polka, we find the mid-point (which is either a single song or the space between two songs), then score songs on their position compared to this midpoint, with adjustments made if the actual polka has a different number of songs (e.g. if it's 15 songs, we could still get points for being one spot "off" since we only guessed 14 songs.)

I know that sounds complicated, but it's more fair that way. If there are 16 songs and "Call Me Maybe" is #16, then I feel like I got that correct, because I guessed it as #14 out of 14, and I did that for a reason.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Yes I know we are talking about bonus points. Same question still applies. Skippy articulated my point better. I think we should get points if we picked the right last song even if it isn't 14th.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Also I disagree with your new corollary. You shouldn't be able to guess more than 14 songs. Otherwise you could guess 100 songs and get points for everything. The point is that you have to narrow down your list.
CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Post by CharlesNelson »

"Best Polka Ever" by "Weird Al" Yankovic, although I was almost inclined to change the title to "The Collab Polka" or "The Featured Polka" for how many times I typed "ft."

"Timber" by Pitbull ft. Ke$ha
"Talk Dirty" by Jason Derulo ft. 2 Chainz
"Wake Me Up" by Avicii ft. Aloe Blacc
"Royals" by Lorde
"My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)" by Fall Out Boy
"Cruise" by Florida Georgia Line
"Boys Round Here" by Blake Shelton ft. Pistol Annies and Friends
"Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke ft. T.I. and Pharrell Williams
"Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen
"Gangnam Style" by Psy
"I Will Wait" by Mumford & Sons
"Ho Hey" by The Lumineers
"Little Talks" by Of Monsters and Men
"Best Song Ever" by One Direction

I wanted to include country, mega-hit and folk sections, so I put them all back-to-back consecutive in a row. "Cruise" was a very big hit last summer, and thanks to The Voice Blake Shelton is more recognizable to non-country fans than every identical younger solo male country act out there right now.
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Casey, what about if you just get 50 points for identifying the last song? 25 points for identifying a transition between one song and another (just looking at CharlesNelson's post as an example - if the polka had Call Me Maybe and Gangnam back to back, but 2nd and 3rd rather than 9th and 10th, he would still get some points).
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

I like Jon's suggestion better than mine. I would add bonus points for first song as well, and maybe "chain" points for multiple songs in a row, regardless of where they occur. Something like 10 points for two songs in a row, then another 15 if you had the next one too, then 20 for a fourth, etc.

To me, this rewards guessing the things that make the polkas unique the best.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Actually, Jon makes very good points and after taking them into consideration, I'm going to scrap the meadows rule for this game in favor of Jons" chain points/first and last song rule (which I will go back and edit the first post to include). However, I'm only going to incorporate Skippy's "midpoint" rule after the polka songs have been revealed if there is enough demand for me to do so.

To recap, each participant gets 50 bonus points if they guess the first and last songs correctly. Participants also get 25 bonus points for each song they guess that appear consecutively in the polka medley in the same order as they originally guessed. Also, each participant can only guess up to 14 songs and no more.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

:Y
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Now that we have some idea of the parodies for this album, I guess its time to award some preliminary points...

Killingsworth: 100
Bruce The Duck: 50
HiggyG: 50
AccordionChick: 50
yankochick: 50
Skippy: 100
CharlesNelson: 100

1st Place: (3-way tie): Killingsworth, Skippy, CharlesNelson
2nd Place: (4-way tie): Bruce The Duck, HiggyG, AccordionChick, yankochick

Congratulations to me, Skippy and CharlesNelson! Now, let's see which one of us can hold onto this lead.