Why hasn't Al been on SNL yet?

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Re: Why hasn't Al been on SNL yet?

Post by anthontherun »

Bermuda once that SNL is the last holy grail on the band's wishlist of TV gigs, so it's unlikely that Al was asked and turned it down. I'm sure he would jump at the opportunity. In some ways it's more likely than ever that he would host, because he's gotten a lot more mainstream respect the past few years and all the kids who grew up listening to him and are now becoming comedy stars themselves cite him as an influence. On the other hand, if he doesn't release albums anymore, there's no promotional tie-in (unless he does a movie or something), which is usually a major factor in selecting a host or musical guest.

But it would undoubtedly be amazing. I don't know how Al feels about sketch comedy in general, but if he did his own updated TWAS aimed at an older audience, I feel like that would be a huge hit for Comedy Central or IFC now.
Mo33
Occasional

Post by Mo33 »

Thanks for your answer!!
(And sorry for the new topic, for some reason I didn’t find this one... X* )
It also surprised me because Andy Samberg is a big fan of Al and he said several times that his work was a big inspiration for The Lonely Island, so it would have made sense to see him at least in a digital short. But let’s hope Al is interested in doing some sketch comedy!
"The potatoes do not agree."
dansachs
Occasional

Post by dansachs »

OK, so Weird Al is playing Radio City Music Hall, literally across the street from the SNL studios, on Saturday September 24. He currently has no tour dates scheduled after this. What can we do to make this happen?
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

Absolutely nothing can be done, he has a show that night and shows that whole week how is he supposed to do anything what do you want from him he is NOT YOUR MONKEY
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Al could always come back to NY any time AFTER 9/24 9f this year if Lorne and company wanted him to appear on SNL.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
louietheweaselfaceddogboy
Obsessed

Post by louietheweaselfaceddogboy »

Maybe he could make some sort of walk-on appearance, like a cameo in a "What Up With That?" sketch. It's not like SNL is letting go of Kenan Thompson anytime soon.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

dansachs wrote:OK, so Weird Al is playing Radio City Music Hall, literally across the street from the SNL studios, on Saturday September 24. He currently has no tour dates scheduled after this. What can we do to make this happen?
Do you think that the only reason Al hasn't done SNL over the last 35 years of his career is due to the fact that he hasn't been around 30 Rock at just the right time? You think it's a scheduling problem? Really?

Do you think Al has any control whatsoever about whether he gets invited to appear on SNL? Do you think Lorne Michaels has been sitting by the phone since 1984 in hopes that one day it will ring and Al will be calling, begging to appear? Really??

Do you expect that Al would somehow be able to appear live on SNL, minutes after walking off stage after playing not only the most high profile venue of his career, but also the final show of a 78-date tour? Without any opportunity to attend meetings in advance or even a dress rehearsal? Really????

Do you not think Al would drop everything to appear on SNL if given the chance? Have you not heard Bermuda mention SNL as one of the few remaining shows that the band hopes to be asked to play someday? Do you think Al has been called to appear and secretly turned down the opportunity? I mean, really????????

If you really want Al and the band to play SNL, and I mean if you really want to see that, you should call, write, or email the Saturday Night Live booking department. Reach out to NBC or Lorne Michaels himself. But I guarantee the reason Al has never been on SNL has nothing to do with Al's proximity to the studio. Really.

This has been Really??!!? with TMBJon and Amy.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

louietheweaselfaceddogboy wrote:Maybe he could make some sort of walk-on appearance, like a cameo in a "What Up With That?" sketch. It's not like SNL is letting go of Kenan Thompson anytime soon.
Well, they HAVE let go of Jason Sudekis so there'should very little reason for them to do WUWT anymore but I'd still like to see Al at least cameo on SNL in some other capacity.

Also, the current season of SNL hasn't ended which means they most likely haven't planned that far ahead for next season which would mean ZERO information has come in about next season in which when a 9/24/16 episode would likely take place. I only mention this because right now we don't even know (and not even Lorne may know at this point) whether NBC will be broadcasting a live show or a repeat on 9/24. There's a chance their new season could premiere the following week or (given that this will be an election season) they may start the season with two new shows on 9/10 or 9/17 and take the week of 9/24 off completely. I'm just saying that given everything else that's been speculated upon in regards to this topic, this makes it even LESS likely.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
WalkerEvans

Post by WalkerEvans »

I got to interview Al last week. I asked him about SNL. Here's what he had to say (among other things):

http://www.columbusunderground.com/keep-columbus-weird" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

SNL is asking people on Twitter who they want to see hosting SNL this year. Reply to @nbcsnl using #SNLhost to tell them who we want!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.