Why hasn't Al been on SNL yet?

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

crazed al fan
Occasional

Post by crazed al fan »

spacedingo @ Dec 3 2003, 09:29 AM wrote: Jimmy Fallon is an Al fan though (He also opened up for Al in concert once), so keep your fingers crossed. Al is not lost.
yeah i remember seeing that jimmy fallon is a fan. i would love it if al was on snl. i shall keep my fingers crossed. :biggrin:
-crazed al fan
Dr_Dad
Obsessed

Post by Dr_Dad »

Judging from other guest appearances from the past, Al would be most likely to show up on SNL at a time when he has a new album out -- especially if the material generates a lot of interest or controversy [yeah, I think we missed the boat on PH; the Eminem video snafu did generate a few headlines, which would have been great fodder for SNL sketches, but its May 20th release was far too close to the end of the SNL season]. If you'll notice, nearly all of the guest hosts and musical guests appear when they've got a new TV show, movie, or album to shamelessly plug. What would likely be most effective is petitioning SNL around the time of Al's next release [which should absolutely include a letter writing campaign to Jimmy Fallon for his assistance in our efforts]. There is a person -- Josh Payne -- who is the Casting Director of SNL; I don't know if this guy is the one hiring SNL comedians to perform or if he also helps pick guest hosts or musical acts. I can't find anywhere on the net how guest hosts and musical acts are actually picked -- is it the mighty hand of Lorne Michaels going, "YOU!", or do the agents/movie studios/music labels foist these acts onto the show? Maybe Jimmy or even Victoria Jackson could shed some light on for us on that.

And BTW, if it DID ever happen, Al would not the first demented artist to appear on SNL. Frank Zappa, Andy Kaufman, even Barnes & Barnes' "Fish Heads" video all appeared on SNL -- though admittedly those were all a LONG time ago.

Interestingly enough, as I was surfing, I found a quote from Spin magazine from 2002 about Jimmy Fallon:
Like a lot of Fallon's humor, his music is charmingly goofball and just a little twisted. It's easy to see why bands like Blink-182 actually like to be spoofed by him.
Hmmmm ... sounds a lot like someone else we know ... :D

Doc
Bee bomp a chonk a donk bim bang boo !!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Actually, the Zappa show kinda makes me think it's the reason why Al hasn't been on SNL, and if he ever does get on, he'd probably just be a musical guest, not host. Frank Zappa is usually pretty cool, but his show sucked. Really, it was awful. He and the cast had no chemistry and it was painfully obvious that he was reading cue cards the entire night. I was looking forward to it and when I finally saw it (one of those 3 am SNL "Classics"), I was totally disappointed.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kidcid
Obsessed

Post by kidcid »

Actually there have been a lot of disappointing hosts, but that's the chance they take. I think Al would do well. He says he's not good at improv, but He does act fairly well, and he can be very spontaneously funny. Maybe some day he will? I actually don't watch SNL any more...but if Al were on I'd stay up late to watch it!!
Cid
%
Alucard
Occasional

Post by Alucard »

just wondering...
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

No. Please use the search option before starting a new topic. There is already a topic on this.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Looks like anth knew more about this than I did! Heed his advice. This topic will most likely be merged with the Media Al topic. Welcome to WOWAY Forum!

Patti
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Ask and ye shall receive...
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I'm with Cid. I haven't watched SNL in a while. But if Al were on, you bet I'd watch! And I agree that he would make a good host. And I think he'd do alright in a few sketches as well. It would be cool....someday.

Patti
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

Al should be on SNL. If he was, he would be the funniest person there without any doubt.
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;