Al On Shatner's Raw Nerve

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Re: Al On Shatner's Raw Nerve

Post by ludovica64 »

Squirrelygirl wrote:Here is a quick clip to give you an idea.

http://www.biography.com/video.do?name=shatner

Use the scroll on the right hand side, Al should be right after Jenna Jamison
Yes Linda I saw it yesterday. Heartbreaking isn't it?
It was very brave of him to bring the subject up at all.. I find it comforting personally, to see this though, as I am watching my Daddy dying by inches each day and I have to do the happy face thing all the time for his sake, so watching that clip was very cathartic for me. Al's example.. PARTICULARLY in the way he soldiered on through his grief is such a huge inspiration to me on a personal level

I knew this was going to be awesome... in the truest sense of that word
What a guy..
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Squirrelygirl
Obsessed

Post by Squirrelygirl »

Unfortunately it's something most of us go through in our lives, and I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, Louise. I can't imagine any deeper pain.

Looking at some of the other interviews, Shatner seems to focus on those moments.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Squirrelygirl wrote:Unfortunately it's something most of us go through in our lives, and I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, Louise. I can't imagine any deeper pain.

Looking at some of the other interviews, Shatner seems to focus on those moments.
Thanks hon...I appreciate that.
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Kristi Ohlervic
Occasional

Post by Kristi Ohlervic »

Has this actually aired? I checked the listings for the 20th and didn't see it...

:( Kristi
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

No, it was supposed to air yesterday, but it's been rescheduled. Conflicting info as to when. Al said yesterday it will air on 1/5, but someone else here said their tivo said 12/29. I guess we'll see. I don't get this channel, though.

Just want to add: Louise, so sorry about what you're going through with your Dad. I also want to say that when my Laura passed, it was just over a month later that I went to AlCon III and did a stand-up tribute to her. I talked about the silly things she said and did. That was therapeutic for me, as I'm sure Al continuing his tour was for him. Anyone saying anything different about that doesn't know anything about grief or how to deal with it.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Squirrelygirl wrote:
Use the scroll on the right hand side, Al should be right after Jenna Jameson
Ahh...White & Nerdy Al finally accomplishes his MySpace dream :lol:
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

That made me sad, but it's also interesting.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

wow...I saw the preview clip and it's very powerful for what looks like the very beginning of the show...I kinda doubt that Al would willingly bring up the anniversary of his parents death for seemingly no reason...my only guess is that it has to be in response to one of Shatners' probing questions toward the middle of this segment...Al does seem very composed and in control of his emotions during that clip...seeing him in tears would be... :huh: well, I just have to see this when it airs...

I certainly have to give Mr. Shatner some credit for getting Al to drag out a more sensitive, somber side that the public hasn't seen before and my deepest condolences go out to Ludo Vica and her family...
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

caseyk27 wrote:wow...I saw the preview clip and it's very powerful for what looks like the very beginning of the show...I kinda doubt that Al would willingly bring up the anniversary of his parents death for seemingly no reason...my only guess is that it has to be in response to one of Shatners' probing questions toward the middle of this segment...Al does seem very composed and in control of his emotions during that clip...seeing him in tears would be... :huh: well, I just have to see this when it airs...

I certainly have to give Mr. Shatner some credit for getting Al to drag out a more sensitive, somber side that the public hasn't seen before and my deepest condolences go out to Ludo Vica and her family...
Thanks Casey.

I did express concern at the time that it was a strange choice to do an interview on that day of all days
viewtopic.php?p=689595#p689595 and I suppose it'd have been better had it been shown sooner than this, but I'm glad the schedulers changed it to after Christmas

Shatner does seem to be very skillful at getting underneath the skin. Not always a bad thing. Not always a good thing either
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

algonacchick wrote: That was therapeutic for me, as I'm sure Al continuing his tour was for him. Anyone saying anything different about that doesn't know anything about grief or how to deal with it.
Anyone laying down the law about how anyone else should deal with grief doesn't know anything about it. And besides, as I've said before, when Al goes on tour he is in effect the CEO of a small business. There were a lot of people depending on that tour for their summer's income. Al could have indulged himself and gone home to surround himself with his remaining extended family and grieve in private, but the band, the crew, the bus drivers... all those people would have been hung out to dry. Al behaved responsibly toward the people who had committed themselves to work with him that summer, and he doesn't deserve the sniping.