Los Telelocos

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

QUOTE Thanks, next question:  
Were there any jokes/puns in the Spanish translation that weren't there in English? Every language has its own subtle metaphors.

I'll have to get back to you on that one after I watch the movie again... twice. Thanks for providing a good reason! :D

In the meantime, here's a mention of UHF from a Chilean online magazine, in an article discussing movie sequels. BTW, I thought we'd all had about as much fun with Babelfish as we could stand, so I just translated it myself instead.

QUOTE Since the story is endless, even Hollywood itself laughs at its obsession with sequels. More than a decade ago the humorist and singer Weird Al Yankovich (sic), in his film UHF, ridiculed this custom and created an unusual reappearance of Conan the Barbarian as a librarian (Conan the Librarian) and a violent return of Mahatma Gandhi (in Gandhi 2). Now let's see what will happen in the sequel to UHF.

Actually, I think it was a prequel. The ¿Qué Pasa? writer either didn't know about, or forgot, the Theme from Rocky XIII
Dr_Dad
Obsessed

Re: Los Telelocos

Post by Dr_Dad »

QUOTE QUOTE QUOTE

\"Blueberry daiquiri\" apparently doesn't translate; instead, George asks for \"the strongest thing you've got.\" Which still makes it pretty funny when a drink full of umbrellas is served. I'm not sure, but it seems that in the commentary Al makes reference to that being the actual line he wrote.

If Al wrote "the strongest thing you've got" then why did he say "blueberry daiquiri?" Did Jay Levey in Gandhi costume threaten to beat him up? :dontgetit:

Well, I'm not sure about the original draft, but by the second draft of the movie, he says, "Blueberry daquiri". Here's the link:

http://www.angelfire.com/wv/weirdnessce ... ript5.html

BTW, this site has most, but not all, of the UHF 2nd Draft script up. It's rather insightful to read what was cut out of the final movie print [for instance, it explains that brief shot near the end of the "Outtakes" section of the DVD where Teri opens a door and a guy with a Jason mask and knife is standing there -- lemme know if you can't find it]. It's also cool to read the stage directions, especially the character summaries. For instance:

QUOTE George is a well-meaning but misguided soul whose overactive imagination is constantly getting him into trouble. He is approached by his roommate, best friend and co-worker BOB STECKLER, who has a somewhat more down-to-earth approach to life.

*sighs* Now, if they would only ever finish posting the rest of the script someday .....

Dr. Dad