Weird Al Unplugged?

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

the_sickness101

Weird Al Unplugged?

Post by the_sickness101 »

Hey, I did a search on this and was wondering if Al will ever do an Unplugged concert. I mean, has anybody heard anything about that?
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Probably not, because I don't think MTV is doing that anymore. There were those wonderful promos he did a few years ago where he was "pretending" to be doing one. The clips were shown at Alcon and at the concerts in Orange County. In them, we got to enjoy clips of slow acoustic versions of Eat It and Amish Paradise. Very funny stuff and sure to be part of the video reels on the upcoming tour.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

QUOTE Probably not, because I don't think MTV is doing that anymore.

And it's a shame too. I saw a few of those and they were wonderful. I especially enjoyed the Rod Stewart one. Ah the missed opportunity to let WAY do one. I'm sure it would have been very fun for him to do, and equally fun for us to watch. Too bad...
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

Srry but i was just curious, what exactly is an unplugged concert? I only watch MTV when AL and a cople other bands i like are on
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Unplugged was a series on MTV in the early-mid 90s that featured popular acts doing acoustic concerts. The most successful one was probably Eric Clapton's. The accompanying album was a grammy winning best seller.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

And as I recall, the artists were not only unplugged, but very casual. The Rod Stewart one, which is the only one I remember clearly, he talked about the songs and where they had come from. Very cool.

If Al did an unplugged, I would want it to be more like that and less "in character."
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

If Al did an unplugged, I would want it to be more like that and less \"in character.\"

Not "in character".... hmmm, that gives a whole new shade of meaning to the idea of "Weird Al unplugged," considering how high-energy his performances normally are. Are you thinking of him doing a running commentary on accordion or keyboard demo-ish versions of his songs? Or are you envisioning unplugging everybody?

Now that I think of it, unplugging a keyboard would not be a good idea. Unless, of course, it's a piano.

If Al still has the Toys R Us piano he used to write songs on, that could be extremely funny, although the perfectionist-musician side of him wouldn't be real pleased.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Not \"in character\".... hmmm, that gives a whole new shade of meaning to the idea of \"Weird Al unplugged,\" considering how high-energy his performances normally are.

I was thinking of him, not necessarily doing a running commentary, but of being less "Weird" and more Al. Less frenetic and more thoughful. I don't know, exactly. I guess I would like to have an insight into how he views not only his music, but the process as well.

QUOTE Or are you envisioning unplugging everybody?  

Now that I think of it, unplugging a keyboard would not be a good idea. Unless, of course, it's a piano.

If I remember, the "Unplugged" concerts really weren't unplugged. Just for logistical reasons, it wasn't done. They were just done in an accoustical style. I mean, the minute you plug in a microphone so the artist could be recorded for TV, you aren't technically unplugged anymore.

QUOTE If Al still has the Toys R Us piano he used to write songs on, that could be extremely funny, although the perfectionist-musician side of him wouldn't be real pleased.

Maybe not, but the World Class Parodist in him would probably love it :biggrin:
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

QUOTE I guess I would like to have an insight into how he views not only his music, but the process as well.

You never know... that might happen, since he'll probably be wading into a sea of interviewers again once the album comes out. There might be a perceptive one who's willing to depart a bit from the press kit. There have been such interesting interviews with Steve, Jim and Bermuda in magazines written for a readership of musicians... who knows, Al may get a turn someday.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

QUOTE There might be a perceptive one who's willing to depart a bit from the press kit. There have been such interesting interviews with Steve, Jim and Bermuda in magazines written for a readership of musicians... who knows, Al may get a turn someday.

Ok, so this is off topic, but something I have thought about...

If you had the opportunity to interview Al, what questions would you ask?

What kind of research/prep would you do ahead of time?

The best interviews I have read with him are by people who were obviously fans and/or had at least read a few of his other interviews.

I think Al is willing to be forthcoming, but unfortunately he gets the same stock questions, and tends to give the same stock answers.

Interviewer: "Can I call you Weird?"

Al: "Are we on a first adjective basis?"