cooli-oh dear

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

martmercer
Occasional

cooli-oh dear

Post by martmercer »

did anyone see coolio on RI:SE this morning?

for those in the US, Coolio was on an english breakfast show and this is what he did:

1. participated in a FLOWER ARRANGING competition (and won!!)

2. flirted heavily on the female presenter ( meanwhile she made it clear she wasn't interested, lets face it-who would be interested?)

3. kept on asking 'can we get naked now?' umpteen times

4. he was promoting some film and 'celebrity boot camp' which shows his career is dying on its arse and thinks that appereances in low movies which no-one will see and appearing in a reality tv show will help his career (no it won't!)

just goes to show the whole 'Amish Paradise' thing has screwed him up big time! *cheers*

oh, how the risen have fallen!

that's what you get for 'dissing' Al's parodies of your own songs!

Future people artist who are asked for permission by Al to do a parody say YES but NEVER, NEVER say you don't like it or you'll end up like that Coolio guy!

thank you for you're time! :bigups:
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Flower arranging? Goodness.

That's the trouble with building a career on looking/sounding/pretending you're a bad-a**. You can make yourself look silly so easily when you do anything out of that restrictive character.

Maybe the lady who was not interested in getting naked with Coolio realized that his wife and seven children wouldn't like it.

BTW, over on this side of the pond, Coolio has been spotted recently at the premieres of Harry Potter and Santa Clause II.

Hmmm.... with that many kids, he's running a terrible risk that some of them will turn out to be... Al fans. It happened to Don McLean-- but Don McLean is a smart guy, and didn't mind. But don't you love the idea of little Coolios running around the house playing Amish Paradise at top volume?
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

he was promoting some film and 'celebrity boot camp' which shows his career is dying on its arse and thinks that appereances in low movies which no-one will see and appearing in a reality tv show will help his career
Thanks for the overseas update MM. "Low" movies are nothing new for Coolio. I took a little trip on over to IMDB. I was going to post the whole list but it was just too painful. So I picked out a few to share here... (check the website, I'm not makin' 'em up!)
Actor - filmography
(2000s) (1990s)...

7. Media Whore (2002) .... Himself

9. Get Over It (2001) .... Himself
... aka Get Over It! (2001) (USA: promotional title)
And don't cash the checks, if you're really that offended.

16. Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the Thirteenth (2000) (V) .... Principal Interest (The Administrator-Formerley-Known-As-Principal) A parody Coolio? How could you desecrate another - ahem - fine movie?? And did you have permission from the Purple One to lampoon him? Did you even try to get permission? I bet he never saw a check from you either...

18. Leprechaun in the Hood (2000) (V) .... Himself
... aka Leprechaun 5: Leprechaun in the Hood (2000) (V) (USA)
Ok, you can't totally blame Coolio for this one. Presumeably there were 4 Leprechaun movies that preceded it. But then Coolio has always depended on the bad taste of the American buying public.

Notable TV Guest Appearances

2. "Beat the Geeks" (2001) playing "Himself" (episode # 2.8 ) 17 July 2002 But only if they apologize profusely and give you royalty checks...

6. "Fear Factor" (2001) playing "Contestant" in episode: "Celebrity Fear Factor" 27 November 2001 Possibly the worst American television show ever made by a network other than Fox (the King of the Trash Heap.)

I have seen him "act" but looking at the list, I can't for the life of me figure out which one of these jewels I saw?
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I saw him on Fear Factor (a darn good show!) He was on with such celebrity contestants as David Hasselhoff, Kelly Preston, Donny Osmond and 2 other girls. They had him put his hed in a bug tank, and he freaked out. It was great!

Mike
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

What I couldn't figure out when the news first hit was that how Coolio, who obviously has a sense of humor (look at his video "1, 2, 3, 4") and who even was cool enough to appear on "Muppets Tonight," could get his panties in a bunch over someone parodying a song that he didn't even originally write in the first place.

And let's not go into the fact that we're talking about a song that appeared on a movie soundtrack. I mean, c'mon, if this was really a personal, sacred song to him, wouldn't he have found a more meaningful avenue to present it....or did the Pepsi people turn him down?

But hey, it's neither here nor there. What's important now is that Coolio is on the long road to being a hip hop has been....meanwhile Al is the darling of cable's premiere adult contemporary music network, is working on another album, and will soon become eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

could get his panties in a bunch over someone parodying a song that he didn't even originally write in the first place.
You don't suppose it was supposed to be funny? And it just went awry? Could it have been his way of saying he was honored to have gotten his WAY treatment, but when it was misunderstood he couldn't back down?

But that doesn't answer the question of why he didn't accept Al's apology at least privately.
What's important now is that... Al is the darling of cable's premiere adult contemporary music network, is working on another album, and will soon become eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

You are right CD. And that it's our darling boy who has the last laugh helps.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

You don't suppose it was supposed to be funny? And it just went awry? Could it have been his way of saying he was honored to have gotten his WAY treatment, but when it was misunderstood he couldn't back down?

I guess it's possible, but that just leads to the question why wouldn't he back down? IIRC, the clip was shown on MTV News, not Nightline. Outside of the obvious people involved, plus the Al fan base, and perhaps the Coolio fan base, who else would really care? This wasn't a monster world-halting story that couldn't have been quickly fixed with, "Oh gosh, I was just joshing, bo-oy."

Granted Coolio has an image to maintain, but I don't believe anyone would have stopped buying his music if he said, "Oh, I was kidding. I can take a joke."

If it was just Coolio joking around, then apparently he was the only one who got it. :)
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

how can coolio stay mad at after Al named a fish after him? doesnt make snese to me. then again, when i think about it, nothing makes sense to me ;) ;) ;) ;)
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

how can coolio stay mad at after Al named a fish after him?
Well, I can offer a guess...
VH1: What do you like the most about the changes? Dislike the most?
Karen: I like the accordion. I dislike the missile shooting through the ceiling and that the fish died within less than a week.

Not that Al would have named a fish after Coolio that was already swimming upside down... naw, of course not.

Note to VH1: You have to neutralize the chlorine in the tapwater first!
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Not that Al would have named a fish after Coolio that was already swimming upside down... naw, of course not.

Actually, although IIRC Coolio once said in an online chat that Al should be castrated, I never got the impression that Al was equally angered at Coolio over this. I mean, whenever it's been discussed Al seems more concerned and more willing to make amends than ticked off. So, either Al doesn't hate Coolio, or he's just really good at hiding it.

Now, I would be less surprised if Al named a dead fish something like "The Seafood Formerly Known as Fish."