Vote For Al's Adult Swim Shows

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

weirdstef
Addicted

Post by weirdstef »

I voted for both hopefully they win.

Trixie
Weirdstef
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

mewrio @ Dec 16 2003, 07:58 AM wrote: So, let's clear this up: Adult Swim is a block of programs, intended for adults, airing on a childrens network called Cartoon Network?

:dontgetit:

If it's intended for adults, how come The Simpsons isn't on there? :dontgetit:
Well, it's nothing too bad. I've been watching Adult Swim ever since I was 11, and my parents had no problem with it. Cartoon Network just wanted a block of shows that were a bit more mature than what they could usually get away with airing. They've said they DON'T want stuff like South Park.

And they don't air Simpsons because I don't think CN owns the rights to that show.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

weirdojace @ Dec 16 2003, 05:42 PM wrote: And they don't air Simpsons because I don't think CN owns the rights to that show.
I think it goes a little deeper than that. Fox owns "The Simpsons" lock, stock, and barrel, as they also do both "Futurama" and "Family Guy," both of which air on Adult Swim.

The key difference is that "The Simpsons" is Fox's biggest TV cash cow, and although I don't have exact figures, the show earns millions of dollars in syndication from the hundreds of stations around the country that air it Monday through Friday. And the fact that the show is still in production with new episodes and continues to be such a hit in prime time only guarantees that Fox will keep it in syndication for the time being.

On the other hand, "Futurama" and "Family Guy," despite their individual strong followings, never achieved the sort of "megahit" status that "The Simpsons" did, and Fox never really pushed either show the way they did "The Simpsons" (I think the fact that "Family Guy" had just been renewed for more new episodes on Fox is a miracle). So it was probably very easy for Cartoon Network to get the off-network rights to both shows. After all, it wasn't like they were asking for "The Simpsons," or even "King of the Hill" for that matter.

Should both Cartoon Network and Fox still exist in the future, here is when you'll see "The Simpsons" on Adult Swim: The show will have finally ended production, and there will be another two or three years before the syndicated repeats start getting a little stale. So, think "End of Simpsons on Fox + 3 Years."

Of course, unless a network like Nick at Nite or Comedy Central doesn't get its claws on it first.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

It still won't let me vote... :angry:
mewrio
Off The Deep End

Post by mewrio »

Are you behind a firewall?
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Isn't everyone?
mewrio
Off The Deep End

Post by mewrio »

Good. Keep it that way.
djgrrrl
Occasional

Post by djgrrrl »

I love the Brak show. His dad is so funny. I miss watching Brak on Cartoon Planet. For some reason, Brak isn't a regular on Space Ghost. Only Zorak managed to make it on there (and Moltar, of course).

I haven't caught Al on SGCTC or Brak as of yet.