Important Al Interviews/reviews.

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

A buncha stuff from Florida newspapers.

A pre-concert article from Clearwater.

Another pre-Clearwater-concert article

And a semi-enthusiastic concert review from Daytona Beach

[MOD Edit: Discuss it here]
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

Apparently, from what I read, Al did an interview in Tucson. The interview was going really well until they started to ask about his parents. Poor Al. :( It seems they wouldn't let up on it either.

-CindyBob

"Mr. Kim, we're Starfleet officers. Weird is just part of the job." -Captain Janeway
Yank27
Obsessed

Post by Yank27 »

An interview from Portland Maine!

It's burried in this page somewhere. :D

2018 Tour: Rochester, Minneapolis, Fargo, Clear Lake, and Green Bay...so far...
TheMegChan
Die-hard Fan

Post by TheMegChan »

Here is an article done for the Knox News Sentinel, just before the Knoxville concert on Sep. 3rd. It's located here: http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/music/artic ... 88,00.html

Yanking chains
Having Knack for parody, 'Weird Al' sets the norm for humor

By WAYNE BLEDSOE, [email protected]
September 3, 2004

Where: Civic Auditorium

When: 7:30 tonight

Tickets: $27.50, $32.50, plus service charges, available at Tickets Unlimited outlets, 865-656-4444
By all logic, "Weird Al" Yankovic should have been a musical comedy footnote years ago.

"It's kooky; you're supposed to be a one-hit wonder, but I've lasted longer than most of the acts that I parody," he says.

Case in point, he says: Not long ago when a radio station ran a contest and asked listeners to name the song and artist after the first few notes of a mystery song was played, nearly all the callers named Yankovic's parody "I Lost on Jeopardy" rather than the Greg Kihn hit "Jeopardy," which was the real answer. And can anyone seriously recall Michael Jackson's "Beat It" without immediately calling to mind Yankovic's dead-on "Eat It"?

Were it not for a juvenile funny streak and a door-to-door accordion salesman who convinced Yankovic's parents an accordion would be a good instrument for their son, Alfred Matthew Yankovic might have simply made his career as an architect.

Yankovic's career began in 1976 when a tape the then-16-year-old Yankovic had sent to the "Dr. Demento" radio show was played on the air. Yankovic, accompanying himself on accordion, gradually became a regular on the "Dr. Demento" play list.

In 1979, Yankovic refigured The Knack's hit "My Sharona" as "My Bologna," and his fame spread beyond the "Demento" audience. Even The Knack encouraged the release of "My Bologna."

Yankovic followed with "Another One Rides the Bus," parodying Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust," and "I Love Rocky Road," a take on Joan Jett's "I Love Rock and Roll." Shortly thereafter, guitarist Rick Derringer persuaded Scotti Bros. Records to sign Yankovic.

"Weird Al" earned his own TV program on CBS and had specials on MTV and the Disney Channel. He wrote and starred in the film "UHF," which has become a cult favorite.

"Poodle Hat," Yankovic's most recent disc, is his first in four years. The disc, as usual, has several original songs, but it's always the parodies that have the most impact. He says that it's difficult finding the right songs to tackle.

"It's really a lot of pressure and a lot of work," says Yankovic. "Timing is very important if you want a hit parody song. I try to have as much of an album done as possible so I can capitalize on the moment."

Yankovic says that he always gets permission before he releases a parody even though he isn't legally obligated to. The only artist who has expressed anger over Yankovic's work was Coolio ("Gangsta's Paradise" became "Amish Paradise"), and that was because of a misunderstanding over permission.

A "Weird Al" parody seems to generally be considered a badge of honor - not to mention one more source of songwriting income. Yankovic says that he spoke with both Kurt Cobain and Dave Grohl personally after his "Smells Like Nirvana" take on "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was released, and they approved.

Not every parody that he's credited for, though, is a "Weird Al" creation. Internet file-sharing sites are filled with songs mistakenly credited to "Weird Al."

"If there's off-color language on one, people will say, 'I didn't know Al used that kind of language!,' " he says.

Fans have written to Yankovic, expressing how much being able to laugh at his music has helped them through difficult times. This year, it was Yankovic who endured tragedy.

In early April, his parents died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

Although speaking about the current state of the world, one of Yankovic's statements might apply to more personal situations.

"When things are rough and scary is when you really need humor," he says.

And Yankovic has a brand-new audience to appreciate his wit. He and his wife, Suzanne, have an 18-month old daughter named Nina. Maybe she doesn't understand his riffs on popular music, but she surely appreciates a little of what her dad does.

"I make her laugh all the time," he says. "It's just different stuff."

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Discuss the Farenheit interview here. Nice find, OE.
samuraisumo
Off The Deep End

Post by samuraisumo »

Did anyone notice that Eminem mentions Al when discussing his inspiration for his "Lose Yourself" video? They even showed a shot of Al wearing the MJ jacket.
My friends call me Sumo.

Al team member 62!
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

samuraisumo @ Apr 17 2005, 11:24 PM wrote: Did anyone notice that Eminem mentions Al when discussing his inspiration for his "Lose Yourself" video? They even showed a shot of Al wearing the MJ jacket.
Where's the link to that article, sumo?
In hiding since 2010
samuraisumo
Off The Deep End

Post by samuraisumo »

Sorry Drewmeister, no link. It was from the VH1 show called Ultimate Encore. It was an interview with Eminem. It was mentioned within the first five to seven minutes I believe.
My friends call me Sumo.

Al team member 62!
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

samuraisumo @ Apr 18 2005, 09:21 PM wrote: Sorry Drewmeister, no link. It was from the VH1 show called Ultimate Encore. It was an interview with Eminem. It was mentioned within the first five to seven minutes I believe.
X* Bummer. Drewmeister, oh Ryan will probably get a kick out of that. :lol:
In hiding since 2010
samuraisumo
Off The Deep End

Post by samuraisumo »

The nickname or the interview?
My friends call me Sumo.

Al team member 62!