Fox to Sue Al?!?

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

mrmeadows
Obsessed

Fox to Sue Al?!?

Post by mrmeadows »

Okay, probably not. Still, check out the last paragraph of this article on Fox's recent lame lawsuit against a new book by "Not so Weird" Al Franken. It seems a Fox spokesman has his sights on our OWN Al!

http://www.nynewsday.com/nyc-fran0823,0 ... lines-left

Yikes! And that guy who played Grandpa Munster better watch out, too!

Maybe they're thinking of suing Al because of the "Next week on Fox watch lions eat Christians" line in CP! Probably because he stole one of their ideas for a future reality show!

Meadows
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

Wow, that last paragraph makes it scary. Fox, it's called a sense of humor.

-CindyBob
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Don't worry. The point that was being made, was that they aren't going after Al Franken because he's Al Franken, but because he infringed, they alledge, their copyright.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Don't worry. The point that was being made, was that they aren't going after Al Franken because he's Al Franken, but because he infringed, they alledge, their copyright.

Of course, Fox's lawyers should have been sharp enough to know that Mr. Franken's use of their "copyright" also falls under the banner of Parody and Satire, which is legally protected in this country. It's the same reason our Al can't be sued for doing song parodies of other artists' work, even if some may later claim (like that rapper with the crazy hair did) that they never gave permission in the first place. It was a slam-dunk win for Franken from the word "go". All Fox succeeded in doing was giving the book free publicity and getting more copies of it sold!

Shoot, I think I may buy a copy!

Meadows
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Of course, Fox's lawyers should have been sharp enough to know that Mr. Franken's use of their "copyright" also falls under the banner of Parody and Satire

Well, that's obviously the defense. But there is more to it than that. As a Fox viewer I have heard about it. At least one side of it.

And with that, I fear we may tread into dangerous, non-Al related, waters...
ThewEiRdOne27
Obsessed

Post by ThewEiRdOne27 »

Jawohl... this topic is like a transport in the mid-Atlantic in 1942... :|

Should we lock it?
"Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them."-Adlai Stevenson
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Not yet. I think MrMeadows and I can behave ourselves (for once) others may have our-Al related remarks.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Speaking of lawsuits, is J. Lo still "angry" at Al for that lyric in CP? I bet she hasn't even heard the song, and I'm 99% positive it was a media-created thing but any news on that?
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Miss Janine
Obsessed

Post by Miss Janine »

JLo has a lot of other things to be mad about, like her fiance's alleged fooling around (not that she's a saint, either). I think the lawyer mentioned Al just because of the fact that his name was Al. Come to think of it, maybe he DID steal their idea for a new show! *runs over to protect her favorite accordian player*
Hmmm...something's gone horribly awry here...
Al Team 2772!
RIP Bela
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

JLo has a lot of other things to be mad about, like her fiance's alleged fooling around (not that she's a saint, either)

And Gigli.