Al on tv yesterday

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

Yeah, I read that he went to R.I. for a fire benefit. I also remember that reading that he was the only one on time.

-CindyBob

Al truly is the hardest working man in show business and out of show business.
Captain Tylor
Occasional

Post by Captain Tylor »

That fire was publicized big time everywhere!!! I heard about it on the news in South Florida as well. So its safe to assume that almost anyone could have known about it!! I would be interested in knowing what other artists also decided to perform at the cocnert and which "didnt think it was important enough to bother." I might be interested in checking out their albums next time around :)
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

All I could find was this from The Providence Journal's website:

Here is a list of daybook events for Rhode Island:

The Associated Press

--- Thursday, May 29 ---

<SNIP>

EVENT: Weird Al Yankovic benefit for "Doc Fund"

TIME: 8:30 a.m.-10 a.m.

PLACE: Dunkin' Donuts, 189 Sockanosset Cross Road, Cranston

That's all there was. So if it was announced that Al would be at Dunkin' Donuts, why was he incognito?

Anyone brave enough to call Amy Kempe and find out more info? You'll have to do the detective work to find her area-code, though.

Meadows
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

That's all there was. So if it was announced that Al would be at Dunkin' Donuts, why was he incognito?

The "incognito" part sounds like a joke to me. After all, it was announced. And when Al actually goes places where he's not necessarily looking to be noticed, he doesn't try to hide his face or cover his hair. He just seems to wear boring shirts. :) And I kinda don't think that Dunkin' Donuts is a vegan establishment, so I don't think he'd go there for snacks. The hood sounds more like the outfit he wore to perform "Couch Potato." Heyyy... Nah, Al wouldn't be trying to promote his Eminem parody by dressing up like Eminem, would he? :biggrin:
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

What's so non-vegan about donuts? I've heard that he's a vegetarian who sometimes does the vegan thing. It says at the Mothersship that he tries to avoid eggs and dairy, which leads me to believe that he sometimes will eat those products. He also said in the UHF commentary that he was a vegetarian. Anyway, interesting story.

Patti
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

What's so non-vegan about donuts? I've heard that he's a vegetarian who sometimes does the vegan thing. It says at the Mothersship that he tries to avoid eggs and dairy, which leads me to believe that he sometimes will eat those products. He also said in the UHF commentary that he was a vegetarian. Anyway, interesting story.
Patti

I said that because I don't know what they're FRIED in. Does anybody?

I don't suppose Al is so rigid about his diet that he freaks if someone slips him some dairy or something. He did take a sip of hot chocolate on RTH.

Sheesh, the things we notice.... :blush:

okay, I went and looked at the ingredients of a couple of kinds of DD donuts. They do have milk; I didn't see the frying fat listed (guess they prefer not to lay a lot of emphasis on that aspect of donut architecture) but I'm sure that, whatever our individual dietary preferences may be, we will all be extremely relieved to learn that those donuts contain no crustaceans. Whew.

Bagels are entirely egg & dairy free (except, presumably, for egg bagels). Okay, we can all go have a late breakfast now. :)
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Hmm, interesting. I don't know how strict vegans are, but I'd hate to think they don't eat breads/ donuts because of the dairy/egg content. I think maybe it's more of a direct dairy/egg thing. (Like eating a plate of fried eggs or drinking a glass of milk.) Those would not be on Al's list of things to eat, I suppose. I know Al does partake in birthday cake, and he does like my chocolates. *At least, he seemed very happy to be getting them at AlCon*. :D Another question, are raised donuts fried? *jelly-filled, for example*. Just wondering. There is a picture of Al eating a cookie during a show at weirdal.com, so he does eat baked goods. Hmmmm. I think I'll have a late lunch instead...Of course, I'm omnivorous, so I'll be eating meat on my bagel!

Patti
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

I don't think we can generalize about how strict vegans are; there's no oath involved or anything like that. :) Just choice & individual preference, like with so many other things, I guess.

Hmmm... I remember reading about Al getting hit with a whipped-cream pie on his birthday during TWS. From the reports, he didn't seem real thrilled about it (understandably, given what a major undertaking washing his hair must be) but he didn't seem to interpret it as a contravention of his diet, either. :biggrin:
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Keep in mind that some of the pics over at The Mothership are older than Al's vegetarianism. And note the info at the top of the page:
Please keep in mind that some of the answers which were relevant at the time they were given will seem quite "dated" now and may possibly be inaccurate.
Reading from the Touring With Poodles Rider:
IMPORTANT: SEVERAL BAND AND CREW MEMBERS – INCLUDING AL – ARE STRICT VEGANS: NO ANIMAL PRODUCTS OR BYPRODUCTS (NO DAIRY).

But that said, Al is gracious enough to NOT freak out if someone offered him something else.

MMmmmmm Bagels... But no cream cheese? It would hardly be worth it. :huh:
autrefois
Die-hard Fan

Post by autrefois »

Yeh, I've wondered (because I'm weird I guess!) about Al continuing to refer to non-vegan things in his songs. It seems like almost every food he refers to in his songs is something he can't eat! (assuming he is a strict vegan)

The whole cheese pizza thing in The Complicated Song, there's cheese and pastries, croissants, and a happy meal in Genius in France

Grapefruit Diet: fudge (usually has dairy products), Twinkies, deviled ham, pizza (there does exist vegan pizza but it's rare), jelly donuts, chocolate sauce (usually would have milk), pastries, pie, crême brülée, soufflé, ice cream parfait, cheese nacho, triple patty melt, 3 Musketeers, etc.

Weird Al Show Theme: vat of sour cream, jelly bean and pickle sandwich (well the jelly beans aren't vegan, I think the pickles are probably OK :) )

Since you've been gone: cod liver oil, ice cream (headache)

The Night Santa Went Crazy: Santa takes a bite of Vixen and says it tastes like chicken! [Note: as scottidog pointed out it's Blitzen, not Vixen. My bad!]

And in Everything You Know Is Wrong, Colonel Sanders' head is "disembodied"! (to haunt Al?!?)

etc. etc.

So I just wonder if he thinks talking about stuff like that is funnier than talking about steamed beets! haha (I'm a vegetarian myself btw).

Or maybe he misses it: He does say in "I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead: I don't want no part of that vegetarian scene...And I'd rather have a Big Mac or a Jumbo Jack Than all the bean sprouts in Japan"!! Which surprised me until I found out he wasn't always a vegetarian.

But it's cool that he still takes food from fans even if it isn't vegan, just like we'd expect from Al it shows he's not a snob or anything about it.