Poodle Hat on TV

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

So it seems this is gonna be hard to try to catch it. I hope someone snags it and can post it.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

In a perfect world, the Poodle Hat ad would play during Billy and Mandy tonight or during Weird AL-TV on Tuesday. I saw it just before the Daily Show the other night -- loved it.

El
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I managed to get it when I taped BTM. It's WAY moby.

You don't suppose we are getting a commercial instead of videos, do you?
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

I still haven't seen it. Maybe I'll get it since they're reshowing BTM a whole bunch more times lately.

Or during the latest Al-TV maybe soon.

-CindyBob
autrefois
Die-hard Fan

**SPOILER ALERT** -- commercial transcript, description

Post by autrefois »

I just saw the commercial on Comedy Central and happened to have the VCR running at the time! I didn't even remember my VCR was on (I taped something on another channel earlier) so I'm able to say exactly what's on the commercial for those of you who are curious.

I don't think there's any rule against posting this provided that I say my post is definitely a **spoiler**: if you don't want to know what's in the commerical, don't read on!!

Hopefully this description makes some sense (it's 2:43 am here in my time zone!); but since I doubt most of you are watching CC or MTV so late, I thought you might like a description of it. Also it was interesting for me looking at the commercial in more detail. :)

OK?

Transcript:

He's been a surgeon, a Flinstone, and an Amish guy.

He's been "Fat," a Jedi warrior, and he's even survived "Jurassic Park."

He "Smell[ed] Like Nirvana", and never forgot it was "All About the Pentiums."

Now finally, he's back. Poodle Hat, the new album from "Weird Al" Yankovic, featuring the Eminem parody "Couch Potato," plus parodies of hits by Nelly, Avril Lavigne and others.

Call the number on your screen to order Weird Al's all new album Poodle Hat--just $18.98 for the CD and $12.98 for the cassette, plus $4.95 shipping and handling.

Description:

As the announcer is mentioning each of the songs,a clip of the corresponding video is shown, which lasts for about 12 seconds total (ending with the end of "IAATP" and Weird Al screaming "What?!?").

When the announcer says "Now..." a yellow background "slides" onto the screen (I don't know anything about film terminology, sorry!). Then from the left there slides in a black silhouette of Weird Al holding the handrail/pole from the album cover. Then a silhouette of Bela slides onto the screen from the right and goes on Weird Al's head. The title, in color, slides onto the screen from the left and right. Finally the rest of the CD cover appears behind Al. The camera pans out a little and we see the full cover of the album inside a jewel case, which stays on the screen for several seconds.

Then we see a close up of the promo picture most of you have probably seen, with Weird Al dressed as Eminem (black jacket, hood, black cap, etc.) watching a portable TV. A white graphic appears:

"Featuring Parodies of

Eminem

Nelly

Avril Lavigne"

The camera pans out until we see the entire picture for a second or two.

In the final shot, on a yellow background, they show the jewel case/cover of the CD in the upper left-hand corner, with little icons for the four major credit cards underneath. On the upper right, the Volcano and Way Moby logos, and the price ( $18.98 ) and the shipping and handling and address listed underneath. It is Colorado Springs like someone else mentioned earlier.

On the bottom of the screen it says "Rush Delivery Available" and lists the 800 number. Underneath it says "30 Day Money Back Guarantee, Allow 3-4 Weeks Delivery" and gives another address, in Santa Monica.

[/description]

It does NOT appear to have any new photos or footage of Al in it. That means that the commercial would appear to be completely unrelated to the mysterious photo being discussed in another thread (http://www.weirdal.com/060703a.htm).

Since it takes 3-4 weeks for delivery, my guess is that they're hoping people will see the commercial and decide to just go out and buy the CD (or cassette) instead of waiting to have it shipped, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, with AL-TV just around the corner (I can't wait!!!) and now with the commerical, hopefully PH sales will go up again! :)
Smells Like a Username
Occasional

Post by Smells Like a Username »

Yes, but it doesn't seem like the commercial airs as much as it should. And it's got that "crappy second-rate commercial" quality to it. But hey, if it help sales, I have no complaints. I did like the fact that MTV/VH1/NICK/COMEDY CENTRAL are connected to each other, or, one owns the rest, even though Viacom is the real owner, well, except for Comedy Central now, but that's...anyway, I like that it airs on all of those channels. MTV and VH1 seem like the right placed to put it. And Comedy Central, it's comedy at it's best, the cd of course, so that seems right. And it appeals to younger audiences too, and that's where Nick comes in. I'm sure this will help sales, even if not by much.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Well, it does seem like it's not put out by Al's peeps. It seems like one of those places that sells CD's is trying to ride the Yankovic Tofu Train. But if it sells more albums, I'm not going to complain.

I am just really really hoping this isn't Volcano's lame way of working around no video at all...
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Well, it does seem like it's not put out by Al's peeps. It seems like one of those places that sells CD's is trying to ride the Yankovic Tofu Train.

If anyone buys off the number or address in the ad, let me know. I'm curious to know if there are any minor variations to the distributor info or elsewhere, like there were when the Canadian albums were made available through Columbia Record Club.

And I don't feel like paying $18.98 (or $12.98 ) PLUS $4.95 for to find out! :wow: You can almost buy a concert ticket for that price!!! Oh wait.... not this tour... :(

Dave
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

If anyone buys off the number or address in the ad, let me know. I'm curious to know if there are any minor variations to the distributor info or elsewhere, like there were when the Canadian albums were made available through Columbia Record Club.

Well, this doesn't sound like anything as big as Columbia or Time-Life or even BMG Music Service.

I have not seen the commercial yet, so I have not seen the address or ordering information, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this is just a mail order outfit that Volcano contracted out to offer the album. Wasn't something like this done with RWS, in which a buyer also received a poster?

Anyway, the point is this would be no different than ordering the album off a retail web site. I would be really really surprised if this one single obscure outlet selling the album would warrant new text on the packaging.