The Process of Polka

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

The Process of Polka

Post by TMBJon »

Check out this excerpt by famed Weird Al author Nathan Rabin on the process Al goes through to write and produce his polka medleys:
https://www.avclub.com/exclusive-book-e ... 1819695905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of new nuggets in here!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: The Process of Polka

Post by minnick27 »

Yeah I really want to hear these local polkas he did!

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

minnick27 wrote:Yeah I really want to hear these local polkas he did!
I know. Al covered Bad Brains!?!?!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

Thanks, that was a great read! Definitely some nuggets there.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
Margarita
Occasional

Post by Margarita »

When Yankovic finishes recording a polka medley, they figure out exactly what percentage each song takes up, and negotiate with that song’s publisher to pay that percentage of the regular royalty.

For instance, on that first polka, The Clash’s “Should I Stay Or Should I Go” takes up roughly 7 percent of the song. The Clash’s publisher would have to agree to take 7 percent of their usual fee. Instead of paying 13 royalties, Al would pay one royalty, split 13 ways.
It's a great article, but I didn't quite get this percentage counting system. Do they count the percentage of the song they took from the original song, or the percentage the song takes up in the polka medley? :huh:
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Margarita wrote:
When Yankovic finishes recording a polka medley, they figure out exactly what percentage each song takes up, and negotiate with that song’s publisher to pay that percentage of the regular royalty.

For instance, on that first polka, The Clash’s “Should I Stay Or Should I Go” takes up roughly 7 percent of the song. The Clash’s publisher would have to agree to take 7 percent of their usual fee. Instead of paying 13 royalties, Al would pay one royalty, split 13 ways.
It's a great article, but I didn't quite get this percentage counting system. Do they count the percentage of the song they took from the original song, or the percentage the song takes up in the polka medley? :huh:
They pay based on how much time it takes up on Als version. So if Al did a 15 minute polka with 3 5 minute songs hes using 100% of their song, but its only 33% of his song. Obviously this is an extreme example, but the math was easy for this early

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Margarita
Occasional

Post by Margarita »

minnick27 wrote:Margarita wrote:

It's a great article, but I didn't quite get this percentage counting system. Do they count the percentage of the song they took from the original song, or the percentage the song takes up in the polka medley?
They pay based on how much time it takes up on Als version. So if Al did a 15 minute polka with 3 5 minute songs hes using 100% of their song, but its only 33% of his song. Obviously this is an extreme example, but the math was easy for this early
Ok, now I can see it! Thank you! :)