Al on Late Show With Stephen Colbert 5/19/16

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Re: Al on Late Show With Stephen Colbert 5/19/16

Post by yankochick38 »

Okay first off, don't read the topic if you don't want spoilers!! The topic will clearly contain details about the show!! Fair warning because I will not be using spoiler tags. Spoiler tags are annoying as smurf.

Okay SECOND first off, Al looked so smurfin' good tonight. He had a full suit?? Like with a tie and a jacket and everything??? And it's all I've ever wanted and more??? Kill me now with that nose. He's got more grays coming in! I LOVE it. I love when he smiles/laughs for realsies and you can see his gorgeous and ginormous sexy pink gums. He's so cute.

I watched the full episode once, then Al's parts ( :sly: ) four more times. I was kinda texting Amerah during those watches because her neighborhood was on fire and the power was out there so I had to keep tabs on her and make sure she survived (she did). Watching the episode another time now as I type this up.

COLD OPEN. I love what they did here, I love this take on the whole Weird Al thing like I love how he's addressing it and turning it into some floofy serious thing, it's amazing. The poetry parodies are the best. Pizzaaaaa
I love that Al's poetry book just says "Fancy Poetry." His pipe!! What is he, young John Flansburgh? That voice!! His robe!!!!! Kill mee with the pipe in the lounge Professor Yankovic
I love Stephen's amazement at the poetry parodies. I love these two together.
Stephen's reaction to the "Pizza party is such sweet...Sbarro" is so friggin funny.

Literally the moment they shake hands their careers collide, I can't believe this is happening. I can't believe this HAPPENED. FINALLY. Ohmygod Strangers With Candy. Ohmygod UHF. How did this happen.

I like how smiley and wavey Al is. He waves to the band, of course!! AND he does the thing where he unbuttons his suit jacket before he sits down like guys usually do when they wear suits on these shows. HE'S WEARING AN ACTUAL SUIT YOU GUYS AAAAGH when will this show be online so I can watch it in private This is why I love First World Problems so much. Al wearing a tie??? Yesss

He has those strands of curls closest to his face that are kinda separate from the rest of his hair because they used to be his bangs, right? I just want to take those and pull them behind his head and tie them together like a cute boho girl would do with her hair, they're just so THERE.

He goes "Ah!" when he sits down and when he shakes Stephen's hand again he's like "How are ya man?? Good to see you!" like omg could he be any cuter

Someone yells from the balcony and he does the Scary Weird Al face with the eyes at them and I love ittttt
Steve-o doesn't notice because he's telling Al about how excited his presence makes his staff there. "It's like you and like, Kermit and Cookie Monster. (Al cute laugh) You couldn't be a Muppet!" "That's the trinity."
They're so cute together ugghghhg

"Yeah yeah. Right right."

"I'm kind of a hyphenate, I guess? I'm sort of a parodist-satirist-singer-songwriter-director-producer-comedian-actor-accordion player-Sex God."
(HE KNOWS!!!!!!)
Stephen's reaction to this is so great
"The last one."
Just nodding
"Is it kind of redundant to say 'accordion player' AND 'Sex God?'"
Yes, Al. Yes it is. Also "comedian" and "Sex God" but that's okay
Stephen laughs and goes "Nice work if you can get it."
"Yes it is."
Deadddddddddddy

"I wanna ask you about the accordion."
omg this part is so good watch this
"Do you think when you were younger...if you had learned an instrument that people enjoy hearing--"
"WHAAAT?!"
so smurfin' pricelesssss
Al's incredulous reaction to this is so good but also just Stephen even saying that is soooo funny I laugh so hard every time
"--do you think you wouldn't have gone into parody??"
stories we have basically heard...

Al's listening very intently
Stephen asks a question
"How come after forty years you don't look any different?"
This catches Al slightly off guard and he goes oh! And laughs his cute gummy laugh
"How is this possible? I have visibly aged since last September!" Stephen I love you it's ok
I love when you can see Al thinkin of the jokes

"Did you sell your soul to the devil?"
"That's PART of it, but..."

Al why are you trying to look at the poster haven't you seen it a billion times by now

He has little nuances that I want to capture but they go by so fast when watching normally. I'll have to try to download this episode and go frame by frame to get what I want.

"Now when you say 'world tour...'"
"US AND Canada."
"Okay, so the entire world!"
the audience goes wild, this is a great joke

everyone applauds Al on his album debuting at #1 and he gets all cute and embarrassed and it's so adorable ^_^
he seems like a little nervous at some points during this! like his hands are in fists and with his left hand he's kinda rubbing his fingers together and he's trying to pay close attention and his legs are crossed but moving slightly and he keeps laughing a lot? Idk this just feels familiar to things I do when I'm nervous

"Weird Al Yankovic, how do you keep it fresh?" I love this line and so does Al, he laughs his gummy laugh again and talks about Youtube BUT they cut him off?

"Pop music is ALWAYS ridiculous"
Al talks about how he enjoys doing rap music because there are so many words and it's not really super repetitive like most pop songs tend to be.
"There's a lot of words to play with."
He says it much better than I do like listen to him please

When Stephen asks about the inspiration for My Bologna Al sticks out his tongue and bites/licks his lips and I just want Stephen to keep asking him about My Bologna forever now

His eyebrow creases! When he scruches his eyebrows and they're like close to the bridge of his nose and there's those creases ugh kill me with the creases
"My hopes are so high that your crease might kill meeee so won't you kill meeee so I'll die happyyyy"
They didn't say that but Dashboard Confessional sang it once (kinda) and me just now

Al's reaction to the audience's reaction to Stephen mentioning Word Crimes is so smurfin' adoarable

Okay THIS IS THE PART

"Are there any naked women in the video for Word Crimes?"
I mean I get it but also like what?
Al tries to think of a joke
"No, you have to green screen your own naked women over the video."
"Okay, or just get naked before you listen to it?"
"That'd work too, sure!"
"Alright, so he's gonna come back in just a moment and do the song for us, you have a moment to go get naked."
I swear he's talking directly to me
When will the episode be ONLINE, Stephen I need privacy for that

okay so for Word Crimes, amazing
Prince line is in there. DUHHHHH, so is the spastic line. Why would he leave out the Prince line in the first place??? Why was that even a debate??
The guys in the band are so excited to be there!!!! They love The Beatles!!!
"Good tiiiiiiiime" his voice is SO GOOD HERE
Al goes into the audience and basically does WBUL moves with some girls like he gets all up on one girl's face while sticking his butt up to another girl and omg I hope this becomes more of a thing on the actual tour
The best part is when Al steps ONTO the guest chairs and ONTO Stephen's desk and just does part of the song from up there!!!!! No one does that!!!!! I feel like at the end when Al takes off the sunglasses (omg so cute when he looks like this) and Stephen talks to him but you can't hear what he's saying but he's like pointing at him and smiling so much and Al is like cry laugh nodding that Stephen could be saying to him like "NO ONE has done that! Only you!!" and Al's just like yeeeppp! When Al is on the desk, it looks like he swats a comma away. This is so good. There should be more levels on stage on tour.
He smurfin' owned this performance, dude. He's just this shy nice dude but when he performs he just completely comes out of his shell and I love it so much. He completely owned the entire room, man. He climbed on the desk AND THE PEOPLE!!!! Al owns all.

SUCH a good episode. I will be watching this quite a few more times once it goes up online. :potato: I love him and I love them both and they were so good together and they're like, they KNOW each other now!!!! Finally!!!! I liked all the questions and banter a lot a lot a lot.

ugh so good. I need a cold shower.
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
Sappho
Obsessed
Location: Hiding in Al's lustrous hair (but not in a creepy way).

Post by Sappho »

Heh, I really don't have much to add to that exhaustive report as it's pretty much exactly what I was thinking, so I'll just add a couple of things:

I was really surprised to see him in a full suit! But it looked really good. It was a really enjoyable interview (though too short imo), and the performance was great as always. But just like with his Conan appearance, there was this odd sensation of watching my big brother appearing on national television. Is it strange to feel proud that Al's made it into the big time talk shows?

And I thought it interesting how Stephen called him a cultural anthropologist. I guess it was meant as kind of a joke, but I don't think it's entirely untrue. Because like Al said, studying pop culture is part of his job description. He's watched especially the music culture change over the years and understood it well enough to successfully change with it and outlast many of the acts he's parodied.
Love and peace.
chickadee
Regular

Post by chickadee »

https://youtu.be/ArboyuU_AnE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was filmed right after the show as the limo was waiting to take him back to his hotel.
Why is he so frikkin cute and awesome!!!!!!!! :inlove:

Thank you Alicia for your blow by blow critique!!!
I watched the clips on you tube and focused in on your observations. I totally agree with them all!!! :accordion:

I noticed his hands in a fist when he felt nervous.
My heart went out to him. He soooo wanted this to go well.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Obviously this was an awesome performance and a true Meeting of the Minds between two of my all time heroes.

Alicia pretty much caught all of the best moments, but one other one stood out to me which was subtle yet sweet:
Stephen introduced Al as "The Great, and Weird, Al Yankovic"
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

If I had one disappointment with the show, it was that there was no interaction between Al and Jon Batiste

Well I was disappointed, but not anymore thanks to YouTube :Y
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

Teh Dingo wrote:If I had one disappointment with the show, it was that there was no interaction between Al and Jon Batiste

Well I was disappointed, but not anymore thanks to YouTube :Y
He did wave to him! BUT this is so great, thanks for posting this!

Al seems to always play Beer Barrel Polka in these things. :lol:

Flinstones was great, but the Kit Kat Bar/Nationwide part cracks me up. :lol:

I like when Al plays the Late Show theme then they play it together and Al's like getting into it but then they go "Yeaaah."

This is so good I will keep watching this for a while :potato:

Other clips from the show now on Youtube:

You Don't Know Weird Al (cold open)

Weird Al is a Very Long Hyphenate (interview clip)

Weird Al Explains How He Keeps It Fresh (interview clip)

Word Crimes performance

You can find the full episode here (if you have your adblock(s) turned off).
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

Wow, they sure put a lot into this appearance. I thoroughly enjoyed all of it. Even though I didn't have the same level of excitement that Alicia did, I definitely enjoyed reading that rollercoaster! haha
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
DrDecay
Addicted

Post by DrDecay »

This was a great performance!
Sappho
Obsessed
Location: Hiding in Al's lustrous hair (but not in a creepy way).

Post by Sappho »

yankochick38 wrote: Al seems to always play Beer Barrel Polka in these things. :lol:
Haha, yes, and I had to laugh at the notion of him wandering down the hallways randomly playing the accordion. :lol:
Flinstones was great, but the Kit Kat Bar/Nationwide part cracks me up. :lol:
I have no idea what this was about. I'm assuming those were tunes from commercials?
You can find the full episode here (if you have your adblock(s) turned off).
For some reason when I click "play video" I get a pop up that the page cannot be loaded and then it forwards me to the App Store. :blink:
Love and peace.