Newspaper and Magazine Alerts

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

Danpjames
Occasional

Post by Danpjames »

Woah...

burgerbarge writes:

Rating: 1 / 10

Weird Al SUCKS. The fact that he is even still around doing this stupid smurf after, like, 100 years is just plain retarded. He's never been funny, he's never been talented, and he's never rocked. The fact that this guy actually has "fans" speaks worlds about how stupid and easily amused we are as a culture. Want some good comedy? Go watch "O Brother, Where Art Thou?".

Wow, thats kind of harsh, never been funny or talented or rocked???? Are we talking about the SAME Weird Al???
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

A PHd in Comedy?. Would that make one :lookround: a Dr. of Dementia?
Moneybags
Regular

Post by Moneybags »

I get the impression that even our Rolling Stone reviewer didn't cross the fine line between "hearing" an album and "listening" to an album. I think the reviewers at RS are quite biased anyway (in fact, I'm positive that if Radiohead put out an album exactly like Poodle Hat, the RS crew would have called it a true work of genius, plastered them on the cover, and written a five-page article about how great the album sounds). Unfortunately, the fact remains: they've taken an album by a legendary artist (far more legendary than the majority of the artists he parodies and polka-fies), and summed it up in a flimsy paragraph.

If you haven't read the review, it calls "Bob" a Dylan parody, says the title of the Avril Lavigne parody is "Constipated" (which leads me to wonder just how much of the actual song our reviewer listened to), and mentions that there's an Eminem parody, but fails to mention a title.

It sounds to me like Christian Hoard went into this review already biased against Al. Apparently the folks at RS haven't figured it out: if you're going to review an album, the least you could do is listen to it first.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Apparently the folks at RS haven't figured it out: if you're going to review an album, the least you could do is listen to it first.

But it just takes up so much time to do that! They apparently scraped their work ethic out of the bottom of the same barrel that Kilbourne did. They really ought to dip into the Schwartz-Yankovic vintage. That's where the good stuff is. Ditto in the talent department. Idjits.

Legendary! I like that. It's a word grand enough to describe Al.
syxtfour
Regular

Post by syxtfour »

They apparently scraped their work ethic out of the bottom of the same barrel that Kilbourne did.

I'd just like to say that Kilbourne's comments about Al is the very reason why he's on so late at night. I've never EVER found his show to be funny. I didn't even like him on The Daily Show. His arrogant demeanor and unwillingness to be courteous to his guests are going to pretty much gaurantee him the 1:30 am time slot forever. (In my neck of the woods, reruns of Jerry Springer come on before The Late Late Show. This is why the time slot is so late.)
Hey, snowman with a pine cone head! I HATE YOU!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Someone there is smart though...

As a reader of RS I have found in the last year that if the album isn't released by a big POoP star they automatically give the album a bad review! You can tell that that the person that reviewed Poodle Hat really didn't put much thought into his review. He probably lacks the intelligence to receive any of Weird Al's humor. Nowadays you can no longer rely on the reviews given by RS because they tend to pass over soon to be classics and their reviews become irrelevant to today’s music consumer. This is Weird Al's best work yet. Weird al is a comical and musical genius, and all great minds "encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
But I got a little angred by this statement (emphasis mine):
I Thought some of his earlier stuff was quite funny. Amish Paradise was a good laugh but lately he's just doing the same thing, why doesnt he actually do some of his own stuff instead of taking the piss out of other artists songs. If I Bought this album I would probably bin it after a week because It gets boring after a time.

:mad:
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Albert Einstein reads Rolling Stone? :nervous:

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Speaking of reviews, as of last night I could have been the first one to review PH over at amazon.com, but I just couldn't come up with a review that would do it justice. I had a brief desire to cut n' paste OE's review (she's always so clever, articulate and in this case right on the money) but since I wanted a couch to sleep on next month I didn't. :lookround:

But the song-by-song one I posted here was so long. I put up a shorter one on Yahoo Shopping. Weirdly enough, they have Poodle Hat user reviews in two places. Mine wound up in the Yahoo Music Guide

here where they say the album isn't available yet, and all the rest of them are someplace else. I've been emailing Yahoo trying to get them to remove the "Yankjob" one. Sheesh.

I did notice that with 116 ratings, it's at four and a half stars out of five.
Squirrelygirl
Obsessed

Post by Squirrelygirl »

I tried posting a response to the RS review, but got the error "there was

a problem with your e-mail. Please try again later." This is the same stuff

I got from Barnes & Noble. Are we crashing their e-mail systems. Whazzup with that?

sg
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

But the song-by-song one I posted here was so long. I put up a shorter one on Yahoo Shopping.

Some nice reviews. Loopiness... that word fits Al, somehow. I picture a little boy running around in circles. Just running, and running, and... running. LOL