Newspaper and Magazine Alerts

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Really a newspaper alert, but for those in NJ, today's (6/29) Star Ledger has an ad for TPHT, complete with a picture of the band, on page four of the Spotlight section.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

In Entertainment Weekly's "It List" issue, comedian Margaret Cho says how she thinks Al is "a genius!" and says she still has a box of candy she got from him once, and says it's "holy". Nice little mention.
Work, is play. Tofutti break today.

Secrets...of...the Universe.
almost al!
Die-hard Fan

Post by almost al! »

EW: Complete this analogy: Al is to rock star as lunch meat is to ___.

AL: Rock star.

did al just call himself lunch meat?
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

No, he's saying he thinks he's as close to a rock star as a lunch meat is.

Unless Al and Meat Loaf are the same person!

Poodle Hat out of Hell.....???
Work, is play. Tofutti break today.

Secrets...of...the Universe.
Elvis
Be jealous.

Post by Elvis »

Really a newspaper alert, but for those in NJ, today's (6/29) Star Ledger has an ad for TPHT, complete with a picture of the band, on page four of the Spotlight section.

Dave
Same thing in the this weeks paper. Same spot. I sense a pattern....

Also, in a locked topic, Demented Dustin points out this.
Hi!
I'm sure this has been posted but I haven't seen anything yet. Maybe a moderator would move this post to the appropriate listing if necessary.
In this week's Entertainment Weekly (Hepburn cover #718) there is a review of Poodlehat. There is also a brief mention of the In 3-D album.
Issue #714 had Stupid Questions for Al (a fairly good size article) and a mention of UHF in the Cult Movie (readers choice ) article.
Dustin

Dave
Demented Dustin
Regular

Post by Demented Dustin »

Thanks Dave for moving my post. I hadn't looked far enough to find this thread. I just the other day looking through old Mad magazines and found this full page cartoon drawing of Al in an astronaut suit singing Ain't Nobody Wants To The World (Everybody Wants to Rule The World) I think the cartoon even has a mouse in it (Harvey the Wonder Hamster!!??)

Dustin
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

I read the EW review today. Not too bad....the critic gave it a "B", so I guess that's "Above Average", right? I guess that's about the grade I'd give it, too, except that the critic only praised the parodies on PH. He dismissed the originals (I don't think he even named one) as juvenile, noisy and featuring Al singing in "goofy voices" (I'm paraphrasing, but something like that). Huh? Maybe he's talking about GIF, but I have to assume that EW's music critic knows who Frank Zappa is.....right?

Oh well, even though the review READ more like a "C+", I'm glad they gave it a "B". I seem to remember them giving RWS an "A" and OTDE a "C-" or something. You never can tell with them crazy critics!

Meadows
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

You never can tell with them crazy critics!

Ehhn....if they really knew anything, they wouldn't be writing for EW!
Elvis
Be jealous.

Post by Elvis »

Yeah, when I read the review I was expecting much worse than a B. The other two albums reviewed got worse grades than B, so I can't imagine what was said about them!!

Dave
Phillipemoz
Occasional

Post by Phillipemoz »

I read the EW article. It sucks. They say "if everything were right in the world, 11 year olds would be all over poodle hat." Too bad they don't know that not only 11 year olds listen to Al's music. They said, once upon a time Eat it, along with Mad Magazine and a solid collection of Garbage Pail Kids, was an essential part of healthy immaturity. But Yankovic can't connect with a market raised on South Park and Eminem."

But wasn't poodle hat Al's highest debut ever? (correct me if I'm wrong)They go on to say that more savvy preteens will relate easier to Fannypack, but only give them a B- while giving Al a B. huh? Oh well, at least they gave Diamond Dave (lee roth) an F.