Newspaper and Magazine Alerts

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Newspaper and Magazine Alerts

Post by anthontherun »

With Poodle Hat almost out, and since a lot of us would like every Al appearance in a magazine, no matter how trivial I thought this would be a useful topic.

*Entertainment Weekly (COVER: 50 Greatest Cult Films)--Mentions Poodle Hat and a small piece in the Hot Sheet

*Us Weekly (COVER: American Idol goons)--In their news section, under the "Spoof" area, Poodle Hat is mentioned, oddly enough the lead parody is mentioned but not the controvery behind it.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stupidhippie
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Stupidhippie »

Not that this is really an alert, but the very day that the May 19 issue of Time came out (for subscribers) I was at my dentist office. I picked up the copy to scan for the article. The receptionist told me to just take it home they had too many magazines anyway. I wonder if she knew it was the newest one. I didn't question her. I just took it. I got my Poodle Hat Fix fo free! LOL!! That was Friday. I don't know why I didn't post it until today. My head must have been decapitated shortly after that. Sorry.

Stupidhippie

:stupid:
Attention Michiana Al fans. I will be on Fox 28 Morning show on October 12th 8:00 hour. Wheeeee
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

From Toyfare Magazine

blahblahblahblah criss-cross the country blahblahblah. So grab your favorite Slim Whitman tape, stock up on tasty snacks like pickled weiners and chocolate sodas, and hit the highway!

Mike
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Entertainment Weekly issue 710

Entertainment Weekly issue 711

The Onion

K-Mart flyer
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Rolling Stone Issue 924 (or here).

2 stars? :angry:

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

yeah, but then we're easily amused.... :whatthat:
Danpjames
Occasional

Post by Danpjames »

To my suprise Weird Al appeared in a Rock magazine here in England called 'Kerrang'. It was only a very small news bit that read.

"Papa Roach, The Hives, System of a Down, P.O.D, and The Strokes have all come in the comic line of fire of US comedian Weird Al Yankovic. His forthcoming album 'Poodle Hat' features the track 'Angry White Boy Polka', which is a polka-style medley of their hit songs."

It also included a very old pic of Al, found it very interesting to see Al in that magazine though.
Andrew
Occasional

Post by Andrew »

Woah...

burgerbarge writes:

Rating: 1 / 10

Weird Al SUCKS. The fact that he is even still around doing this stupid smurf after, like, 100 years is just plain retarded. He's never been funny, he's never been talented, and he's never rocked. The fact that this guy actually has "fans" speaks worlds about how stupid and easily amused we are as a culture. Want some good comedy? Go watch "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

{ May. 23, 2003 | Post 8 of 8 }

----------------

yankovic_27 writes:

Rating: 2 / 10

Agreed with the RS Review

I am a huge “Weird Al” fan. Just because "Weird Al" puts out an album doesn't mean I, as a fan, should automatically love it. I have been a "Weird Al" fan for as long as I can remember and have all of his music I can find. You don't have to have a PHD in parody or comedy music to come to the conclusion that "Poodle Hat" wasn't that funny. My opinion: This is his worst work comedically. He shines in singing capability and musical talent but his last two albums have shown a fraction of what he is capable of comically. How do I know? "Bad Hair Day" a relatively recent release had the strength in it to make it one of the best comedy albums ever. What has happened since then? What's the change? One can only guess. The fact remains he can do better. After the lousy sales this album I know will have, I think he’ll get the picture. Make no mistake, "Weird Al" rocks!!! "Poodle Hat" does not…

{ May. 22, 2003 | Post 7 of 8 }

-----------------------

I like Burbages post, it makes me laugh. He's not talented? He's more talented than any other *#(& rockstar who whines and complains about their personal life. Eminem anyone? !#*#$@ them...
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I like Burbages post, it makes me laugh.

Did you get the impression that this person listened to PH at all? Or were they reviewing Al? Cuz that's what I thought.

At least the other reviewers bothered to listen and decide. You don't have to like the album, but geez, you ought to at least listen to it if you're gonna review it. (Kilbourne I'm looking at you too.)

Reminds me of the reviews that Al read over the credits of UHF, especially the baby's buttocks one...

Speaking of reviews, as of last night I could have been the first one to review PH over at amazon.com, but I just couldn't come up with a review that would do it justice. I had a brief desire to cut n' paste OE's review (she's always so clever, articulate and in this case right on the money) but since I wanted a couch to sleep on next month I didn't. :lookround:
jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

Post by jerrymustbeslaughtered »

"You don't have to have a PHD in parody or comedy music to come to the conclusion that "Poodle Hat" wasn't that funny..."

"PHD"? As Ringo would say, "Phud".