The Goldbergs - February 17th on ABC

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: The Goldbergs - February 17th on ABC

Post by minnick27 »

The first couple times I met him he either stood or had a folding chair. The first time I saw him sit on the steps was the Keswick during the SOL tour. And Al didn't start coming close to Philly until BHD came out. Closest show he did in the 80s was in Bethlehem during the Monkees tour

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Heds
Obsessed

Post by Heds »

minnick27 wrote:Closest show he did in the 80s was in Bethlehem during the Monkees tour
Bethlehem's the capital of Israel! Don't be daft!
aaaa

//heds

https://twitter.com/birdhousey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Bethlehem PA has a star on the side of the mountain you can see at any time of the day, that's way better than Israel's star you can only see at night

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

Some pretty great references in this episode. Like with Al's cameo on HIMYM, you can tell the writers really are fans.

Favorite line as definitely "He doesn't just sing about food. He sings about love, and life, and hernias!"

This was the first time I watched The Goldbergs, and maybe I'll give some more episodes a shot. It's pretty comical. Though I had a minor annoyance - when Adam and his girlfriend were playing Super Mario Bros., she was holding the NES controller upside-down... Why does every TV show on the planet completely butcher the depiction of video games being played?
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Heds wrote:Bethlehem's the capital of Israel! Don't be daft!
Not really. Jerusalem is the capital of Israel! Bethlehem is in the West Bank!

Anyway, thought this was a fun appearance. There were a few anachronisms for sure, but that is always the case on The Goldbergs. I don't think you can really consider these episodes to be happening on a linear timeline, or even temporally within a single episode. I liked the part where Al freaked out at his security guards for not preventing Beverly from talking to him.
Al said there was a lot of stuff they shot that didn't make the cut, including several beats involving Harvey the Wonder Hamster. Also, the script originally called for Good Old Days in the final "Say Anything" boombox scene, and in fact they licensed a few songs, but ultimately went with King of Suede.

Great appearance, and obviously written with love by a real Weird Al fan. :great:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

Finally caught up to this episode. I didn't read this topic before watching because I figured most of you only saw this one episode and I was right!!!

The show is based on Adam Goldberg's memories of the 1980s so it's not gonna be super duper accurate all the time, but it's a fun show anyway. I agree that Al did not look like his 80s self at all really, but it was a fun appearance. I like the part where he stops signing and asks if someone was talking about LOVE
It was interesting to see it from the perspective of someone who loves Al, but isn't in love with him. I've always wondered how you separate the feelings.

I liked it! :# You can't change history, much.
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

I think this was Al's best cameo since The Simpsons. Better in some aspects -- current Al playing classic Al -- nailed it :D
Heds
Obsessed

Post by Heds »

I just found out they air this on Channel 4, but it's at 6 in the morning.

No thank you!
aaaa

//heds

https://twitter.com/birdhousey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;