The Compleat Al DVD Release

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Re: The Compleat Al DVD Release

Post by Yankomaniac »

Got it already! Will check it out after my gig tonight. :accordion:
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Okay, let me just say I am so glad this was finally released on DVD. I actually laughed uncontrollably for the first twenty minutes or so, much more than when I watched it long ago. No collection is complete without this one, although it should have included many more AL-TV clips in the special features. Always loved the cover too, it rules. Nice to have some of those clips in a DVD format, wish we could get an AL-TV DVD release, like a best of compilation consisting of the vast majority and certainly the classic Road Reports. That would be phenomenal!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Heds
Obsessed

Post by Heds »

Region 2 pls
aaaa

//heds

https://twitter.com/birdhousey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stardrop
Occasional

Post by stardrop »

Just watched it for the first time.

I enjoyed it, but at the same time I really hope that Al would invest in securing an excellent English-Japanese interpreter if he ever visits Japan again. The interpreter he had in this seemed pretty terrible. (Well, I do hope Japanese would be more skilled at English, but I can't expect that to happen soon)

BTW, this is probably intentional, but the subtitles for Japanese radio station part are not correct. (They were saying "Is it true that your goal is winning a Grammy?")
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

stardrop wrote:I enjoyed it, but at the same time I really hope that Al would invest in securing an excellent English-Japanese interpreter if he ever visits Japan again. The interpreter he had in this seemed pretty terrible. (Well, I do hope Japanese would be more skilled at English, but I can't expect that to happen soon)
The Compleat Al is a mockumentary.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
stardrop
Occasional

Post by stardrop »

While it is a mockumentary, I think the scene captures what did happen at that time.
Although there is no way of confirming it, but I heard someone in Japan noted "That interpreter lady did lose her job after this" speaking of Eat It Japanese TV appearance.
Teridax
Occasional

Post by Teridax »

I bought this recently and watched it for the first time about a week or two ago. It was nice to see some of Al's pre-UHF acting. I particularly enjoyed the trip to Japan. My Dad has told me about how early rock is popular there, so I guess that explains all the people dancing to "Tutti Frutti" by Little Richard.

There was also a bunch of stuff referenced in later Al media, like the nasal decongestant factory in The Weird Al Show Theme. Was that made up, or did he really work at one? And that AL-TV was ahead of its time: it was talking about ancient astronauts 26 years before Ancient Aliens was taking the theory seriously.

Finally, those two trailers are also a bonus. It's good to see old and seemingly insignificant advertisements being preserved rather than forgotten and left to deteriorate.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I think he just likes the joke. It was pretty original, so he used it a couple times. I don't think he actually worked in one. :lol:
crazygurl14
Obsessed

Post by crazygurl14 »

After purchasing this right when it was re-relaeased, i finally watched this last night.

Am i the only one who thinks a young Jim West could have been a stand in for Micheal Richards as Stanley in UHF?
Concerts i have attended:
memorial day 2000
july 27, 2003
august 22,2004
june 27, 2007
May 29, 2011
July 8, 2016
March 26,2018
July 3, 2019
ACTUALLY GOT AUTOGRAPH & HUG
6-27-13
After show autograph 7-3-19
Al-gal since '99
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

Heads up: you can watch it as a free stream on Shout's website!