The Compleat Al DVD Release

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: The Compleat Al DVD Release

Post by Big Spoon »

TMBJon wrote:WOW!! If anyone else hasn't seen this, at this point I recommend not watching through illegitimate online sources. It would be awesome to see it for the first time in a high quality remastered format without the music videos removed (as they are on most online sources).
I'm definitely planning on waiting to watch it for the first time when my copy shows up. :Y
And Peggy
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Same here! Never seen it before, but I am really looking forward to it!
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

This is available for pre-sale now!!
http://www.shoutfactory.com/product/compleat-al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

TMBJon wrote:This is available for pre-sale now!!
http://www.shoutfactory.com/product/compleat-al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gonna pre-order this today, too. Wasn't the initial word that UHF and Compleat Al would be a packaged set? Looks like you can only get them individually through Shout.
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

Getting it two weeks early sure is enough incentive for me to pre-order!
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Yeah, the two weeks early thing sweetened the pot enough to convince me to go ahead and pre-order it now instead of waiting for it to show up on Amazon.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Insomnia
Occasional

Post by Insomnia »

I hope this will have a commentary track, that's the only special feature I really need.
Troodon
Occasional

Post by Troodon »

I got my VHS copy of this from a video store that was going out of business. I haven't watched it in years (mainly because I no longer own a VCR lol). I had no idea how rare it was at the time (it was rare even then, probably about 20 years ago). It's still in its plastic case with its "music video" sticker the rental place had put on it.

I'd love to have this on DVD and have made sure to hint at it for Christmas. (If I don't get it then, I'm buying it for myself just after!) I'm still going to hold onto the tape though for sentimental reasons.

P.S. Best scene on the whole thing is the "dramatic re-enactment" of Weird Al asking Michael Jackson for permission to parody "Beat It." Not to be missed.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Shout Factory just let me know my DVD has shipped! Should be arriving tomorrow. :potato:
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

I am pleased to say The Compleat Al on DVD arrived today. I just watched the entire thing! :accordion:

For those hoping for bonus features, I'm sorry to disappoint: There is a trailer and an extended trailer, but no other extra features. No commentary or deleted scenes of any kind.

The main feature is still pretty awesome. It's so cool to have this in digital form, preserved for all time. Now there is truly no more reason to keep a VCR around (not that I do). This is a full transfer of the original home video release, including the original FBI warnings and everything. This is not a 16:9 conversion or upres, just a retransfer from the original master, which I presume was 3/4" U-Matic tape format. You can see the imperfections of that format in some parts of the transfer, but for the most part it's quite good.

I am so glad to be able to watch this again; it's been more than a decade since my last time. It still holds up!! 8)