Al-Radio Detroit 106.7 (was part of Hangin' 27)

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Also, fyi, Devo did a cover of "Satisfaction" back in the '80's.

Devo did a cover of Satisfaction way back in July, 2003, too. And when a bunch of slightly pudgy middle-aged gents in black bicycle shorts sing "I can't get no satisfaction" you believe them.

You could tell, though, that if they've maybe been spending a little too much time sitting around, they've been spending it sitting around a studio. The music was fine. :)
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

"Weird Al" Yankovic, here, saluting the hard-working people of Detroit this weekend, saying you can go ahead and take Tuesday off, too. Just tell your bosses that AL Radio said it was ok.

Cool!!!!

spacedingo, working resident of Um....Detroit, NH, yeah that's the ticket.
Trebor

Post by Trebor »

I've been listening since about Noon today (Monday). So far the only non-Al novelty song they've played has been "Mexican Radio." Man, I haven't heard that in years!

I figure that the station arranged this with Al for when he was in town for the Meadowbrook concert and either taped it at the station or possibly at the venue itself. They probably could have wrapped Al's session up in an hour or less for the station personel to edit into carts later. (Do they still use carts these days? I've been out of radio about a decade now and I know that the tech has changed since then)

You know, if this goes well for the station, this might bode well if we locals launched a drive for them to start carrying Dr. D. Anyone interested in a letter writing campaign?

Rob
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I wonder what they're gonna do with that stuff once they're done with it...
jedimom
Addicted

Post by jedimom »

Just returned from the land of Al-Radio.

What everyone who heard Al should do is e-mail the station and thank them for allowing Al to take over. I am going to e-mail them and thank them and tell them how nice it was to hear from my favorite artist (just just an 80s artist). Maybe then Al will get more airplay -- just a little -- if they feel it was successful maybe they'll repeat it or another station will do it next year and soon Al Radio will be a nationwide Labor Day event! Yes! Al's pirate satellite can be aimed at radio!
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Good idea about emailing them. I want to thank them for making my weekend so great! It was really great to hear Al on the radio. Other non-Al novelty songs I heard: "The Scotsman" and "The Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun". "Mexican Radio" was pretty much a mainstream song, and a hit video on MTV. I loved Wall of Voodoo! Anyway, I am going to email them and also ask if Al had any hand in what we heard. I'd like to think he had a little more to do with it than just recording all those bits. Who knows, this could have been recorded before the tour started. Anyway, I've enjoyed this immensely, and I'm going to thank the station. Heck, maybe they'll even play Al's music more often!

Patti
SmileyGirl87
Off The Deep End

Post by SmileyGirl87 »

Thanks Scotti for digging up lyrics for me....:biggrin:

At any rate, I think emailing them is the most likely way they'd do something like this again for you all :(...after all, if they know people are listening, they might play what YOU want to hear...oh and making it an annual Labor Day Weekend thing is a great idea too...yeah, maybe next year we could make it NATIONWIDE!!...<HINT>

ttyl all!

~*Cat*~
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Hey, remember this thread? I FINALLY finished recording all the little Al segments from Al Radio onto one tape along with three special songs from the broadcast. The tape is a whopping (almost) 45 minutes of Al's comments. If anyone would like a copy PM me and we can arrange a trade.

[MOD Edit: Take all trades PM. Thanks ever so.] - Scottidog